What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deepchunk on the rise

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey everyone,
I decided to start some Deepchunks & do a little journal.
These are seeds that i made at the end of 2012 from Tom Hills original stock & decided it was time to run them again. Deepchunk is in my top 3 favorite indicas of all time it's a great medical strain for me & helps me with several issues that i have mostly sleep & anxiety.

I also plan on making more beans, I think i'll put the males outside after i sex them indoors & collect the pollen so i have more room for the females inside, only the strongest healthies males & females will be used.

I got 24 of 26 to pop up, They are in happy frog soil (this is my first time growing them in soil last time was in coco) They are under a small mars-hydro LED for now when they get a little bigger i'll add another one & i may give them a little superthrive now & then but that's most likely it i like to keep things simple.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for stopping in & taking an interest,
One of the seedlings was a runt & misformed so i pulled it so now i have 23 & if i have any more runts or weakling i will pull them too but so far it's just 1, If your interested I have pix in my album from 2012 of the female parents that i used to makes these seeds to get an idea what to expect, unfortunately no pix of the males since i rarely document my males but will now & forever do so moving forward.

Last edited:

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
Its like old times again, older heads popping beans....I like it allot...respect to u and tom wherever he is....

corky1968

Veteran
Was that like a 25 seeds pack?

I've read of this plant before and it will be treat finally seeing it grow now. :tiphat:

TDK

Veteran
looking good Icon,

The Girl, you take for them, mind me of my Deep Chunk girl´s i have here...

I love the DC´s

regards
:tiphat:

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
yes this will be a killer thread..Ill never forget the plant i have that a single leaf blade could completely cover a plastic coke bottle..Its in my old gallery but going in there is like have to watch all the godfather movies back to back.....lol....
Keep the pics coming.. You are bound to find a couple really nice gems in that batch...
Ill be followi ng along as well...
Take care and grow em' BIG!!!!!
..........................CC

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry for the delay on posting i have'nt had wifi since my last post

MoneyMike - Good to see your still around not many original peeps on here from the earlier years 2007 era is when i first joined also it brings back good vibes & memories when i see the old school guys posting from time to time most seem to vanish or pass away.

TDK - I'm subscribed to your thread i'll be looking in & watching what you got going.

Capt. Cript - another old school poster good to see you here too, sounds like you old gallery album runs pretty deep, as you know they get big wide leaves & they get thick as cabbage, it's such a beautiful indica.

DoubleTripleOG - i'm also subscribed to your thread man,
good luck to all you DeepChunk growers out there!

Corky,Moses,Crunch - welcome to the show hope you will enjoy.

I hope this will be a good show I don't plan on growing these too big though the leaves are huge & take up a lot of room & because the leaves are so wide it's harder for the light to penetrate below the canopy i feel they do better at staying small & packing in as many as possible if im going for yield.

So now I'm down to 19 plants i pulled some that were stunted or just at a crawl, but if you know Deepchunk it's a very slow grower in veg to begin with. some of them have abnormal leaves but i think they will grow out of it so i didn't pull them im going to wait it out, They are now 2 weeks veg & they are on their 3rd set of leaves at this stage, I also switched to 2ft T5's I feel that a lot of time new seedlings & clones go into shock or stress under LED & slow way down until they establish a solid root system imo (not all strains), I will put them under LED sometime next week.

I also started some GDP x Grape Krush & some joey weed Blueberries hopefully find a good female or two to do a pollen chuck with a good strong Deepchunk male, Deepchunk is very dominant but so is the blueberry & is very sativa thought it would be a good match up to try it will be interesting which strain dominates more.

They still look small but once they get a little bigger those leaves should start getting W-I-D-E

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Hey man! Good to see you getting busy, hope everything goes fine bro. This season I've been trying to sprout some original DC seeds from original packs but it seems mine weren't properly stored as none germinated. I think the original reproduction was done around 2008, so you were quite lucky you had fresher stock and I wish you the best with this project! This babies really need to be preserved!

They look very happy anyway. Love those tiny little cabbages... leaves look almost like mint plants! lol.

This season some friends are helping out with some pure Uzbekistan and Xmas Bud '76 afghan reproductions too. And I'm running mostly sativas atm... but I'd definitely do some hashplant breeding too whenever I have the chance. DC was always one of my favourite hashplants and such a pleasure to grow.

Vibes bro.

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Welcome Mustafunk! They do look like mint i actually have some peppermint i started a few weeks ago in the window looks like em,
My seeds were from 2008 i believe too grew them out in 2012 i also struggled with germ rates, but i grew out what i got lucky with & made about 100+ new seeds & thats what i have started here, sounds like you got some very nice projects going.

I use to smoke some weed called xmas bud or the Sap around xmas every year in the early 90's that smelled & taste like pine tree sap not sure what strain it was exactly though but it was pretty amazing stuff. I really hope thats what you have LOL i don't know it could have possibly been PTK or something else though.

From my 2012 grow this Deepchunk was only around 14 inches & you can see how wide the leaves already were, they can get huge if you grow them 3+ feet
picture.php

Last edited:

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sweet! big up for growing deep chunk.

i have hundreds of DC seeds i reproduced that i need to get going, that was in 2008 when they first dropped. I'd like to know what germination rates i get.

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for stopping in & watching guys i'm excited about these as well.

They are just over 3 weeks veg I stuck them under 2 mars-hydro LED's on veg setting a total of 112w, soon i will transplant them into 1 gallon pots & they will go under a marsII 700 which uses 330 actual watts for veg, the marsII puts out more blue spectrum then the reflector series i have them under right now.

I see 3 different growing patterns so far some leaves are round/wide some more round spear shape & leaves extend out far & then some have small round leaves more compact growth but more vigor it will be interesting what they evolve into over the next few months.I ended up pulling a few more looked runty it's now down to 18 healthies.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The new seedling on the left are GDP x Grape Krush (Concord Krush) i grew it out a few years ago & was happy with the results they actually smelled/tasted a lot like concord grapes more artificial but was a pleasant surprise, also it helped a lot with my nausea. so i have 5 going in the tent & 5 outside already sexed i plan on collecting pollen from them & hitting a few lucky Deepchunk girls to create some (Concord chunk) I think it will be a winner.

Concord Krush - a few more pix in my album https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=68935
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: