What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Drug cuts marijuana use, but comes with nasty side effects"

N

noyd666

picture.php

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
http://www.futurity.org/marijuana-topamax-side-effects-1091132-2/

"Combining the drug topiramate with psychological counseling curbs marijuana use among young smokers significantly more than counseling alone, according to new small study. But the results come with a caveat: Many study volunteers couldn’t tolerate the side effects.

Through consistent interviews and other means during the study, volunteers recalled how often they smoked and how much (urine tests also showed whether they were using marijuana and also taking either the medicine or placebo). Both groups reduced the number of days on which they used marijuana by statistically similar amounts, but those who took the medication also used on average about 0.2 fewer grams of cannabis each time.

While Miranda says he is encouraged by the results showing a significant additional effect from the medication, it was clear the treatment was not for everyone. At the end of the six-week study, 21 of the 40 subjects receiving the drug had dropped out compared to only six of the 26 people taking the placebo. Two-thirds of those who left the study after using topiramate cited the side effects as their reason for leaving. They complained of problems such as depression, anxiety, trouble with coordination and balance, weight loss, and unusual sensations."

so 50% of the people dropped out of the test, two thirds of which blamed side effects from topiramate.
how the fuck is that ''encouraging'' results?? lol wow

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
That works because they can control the sale and distribution of THEIR drugs. They CAN'T control the sale of a weed that grows in sidewalk cracks.

looks to me to be similar to tobacco..

they get people hooked on tobacco, then sell nicotine products and vape pens to get them off them.
maybe as mj gets more popular theres gonna be a bigger opportunity in the market for people who want to give up.
Its all about the money baby!

Limeygreen

Veteran
If you need to smoke less, just vape it, smoke bongs, make edibles (the later is my favorite way to cut down smoking) these are ways to use less material. While most may use more product to make edibles and some will have a high tolerance to eating, generally speaking with the average user eating will keep you going for hours instead of sparking up some more.

Where are the drugs to help people stop drinking as much or smoking as much tobacco or eating etc (well eating they use speed sometimes I suppose) are these things really necessary instead of perhaps mental therapy, mandatory sports etc. I believe for rehab from substances or disorders mandatory sports would help the vast majority, you get a sense of worth, social interaction and endorphin rush from the exercise which would be part of a solution to some of these, but if an adult decides they wish to do something without harming anyone else, that is the decision they make, not a prescription pad.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Topamirate or brand name Topamax is prescribed for epilepsy. It is a newer class of drug that can be very effective for some sufferers. Unfortunately i know a bit about epilepsy meds

JetLife175

Veteran
Topamirate or brand name Topamax is prescribed for epilepsy. It is a newer class of drug that can be very effective for some sufferers. Unfortunately i know a bit about epilepsy meds

Knew someone who was prescribe topamax and suffered seizures from not taking it. She was prescribed for migraines. Absolutely insane.