What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Drug cuts marijuana use, but comes with nasty side effects"

S

strandloper

http://www.futurity.org/marijuana-topamax-side-effects-1091132-2/

"Combining the drug topiramate with psychological counseling curbs marijuana use among young smokers significantly more than counseling alone, according to new small study. But the results come with a caveat: Many study volunteers couldn’t tolerate the side effects.

Through consistent interviews and other means during the study, volunteers recalled how often they smoked and how much (urine tests also showed whether they were using marijuana and also taking either the medicine or placebo). Both groups reduced the number of days on which they used marijuana by statistically similar amounts, but those who took the medication also used on average about 0.2 fewer grams of cannabis each time.

While Miranda says he is encouraged by the results showing a significant additional effect from the medication, it was clear the treatment was not for everyone. At the end of the six-week study, 21 of the 40 subjects receiving the drug had dropped out compared to only six of the 26 people taking the placebo. Two-thirds of those who left the study after using topiramate cited the side effects as their reason for leaving. They complained of problems such as depression, anxiety, trouble with coordination and balance, weight loss, and unusual sensations."

mr.brunch

Veteran
Hmmm. A chemical drug with side effects to get you off a natural, relatively benign one.
Excuse me, what?!?
Just what fuckn planet are we living on?

mr.brunch

Veteran
No, I'm sure the real problem is people getting caught, saying "it's not my fault, I can't get off the evil weed..." Then get a rehab order as part of their sentence.
Problem created.
Step forward drug company with a cash cow.... Sorry, treatment.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
No, I'm sure the real problem is people getting caught, saying "it's not my fault, I can't get off the evil weed..." Then get a rehab order as part of their sentence.
Problem created.
Step forward drug company with a cash cow.... Sorry, treatment.

We have a winner!

Why is that even a thing, cannabis is not addictive. People going to rehab aren't there because they want to, its the judget told them or next option go to jail. So of course they pick the rehab.

Galaxy420

and here comes the mindset of the controlling interests to add more drugs to the situation. how to handle DRUGS?? = more drugs

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
That works because they can control the sale and distribution of THEIR drugs. They CAN'T control the sale of a weed that grows in sidewalk cracks.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
What's the symptoms of marijuana withdrawal? Loss of munchies? Boredom?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Sounds like u need some cannabis to cope with the side effects of the drug you used to get off cannabis ... nicely done ....

Latest posts

Latest posts