What's new

Blue Velvet (Dutch Passion)

denaturace

Hello,
anyone have experience with this variety from DP? Mainly most recently renewed versions .. cultivation outdoor, quality, potential?

:peacock:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Maybe it's a better idea to get the original genetics from DJ Short and support the original breeder rather than the versions from DP.

DJ himself worked both for Sagarmatha and Dutch Passion back in early 90s but who knows what are they selling nowadays. If you want flo or blue strains I'd go with the creator now that you can. After all, since late 90s all the dutch seedbanks went down the hill and lost most parent stock due to the law reform that banned outdoor breeding and seed production and all the police raids. Probably seeds are produced bulk nowadays in dutch or spanish closets.

Just an opinion though.

Around 1993 he travelled to Europe to work for the Sagarmatha Seed Company. By 1995 he was supplying this company with seed stock both for sale and for breeding purposes. He was little involved in the selection process but had contracted this company to produce Blueberry, Flo and Blue Velvet; a cousin to the Blueberry that was an even expression of both the indica and sativa parents. Although Blue Velvet is no longer available, Sagarmatha still offer DJ Short’s creations under the names Blueberry Bud and Flow, as well as some more recent hybrids. The relationship with the company was brief and DJ Short moved on to work for another company, Dutch Passion.

DJ Short's Original BlueberryDJ Short supplied Dutch Passion with seeds although he was for some reason left out of the selection process once again. On top of the older and established strains, he also created several new ones like Blue Heaven, Blue Moonshine and Purple Passion.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
@musta I have not seen blue velvet offered by DJ lately, is this around somewhere and I'm missing it?

I am interested in this strain, puffed some years back that was excellent.

NEGT1

DJ Short is interesting. I've read a lot of people suggest his growing is meh and he shows up with mediocre cannabis at events.

Where does he work out of nowadays?

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I was talking about different Blue/Flo strains and Blueberry versions, after all, that's what Blue Velvet is.

I don't think you will get much different result between Blue Moonshine, Blue Velvet or the Blueberry and True Blueberry strains you can get nowadays from DJ.

Peace.

Chrondiddle O

Veteran
As for DPs new blue velvet,I grew out a pack during the pre-market phase and they were almost identical to S.A.D. by sweetseeds in terms of growth habit and smell.I couldn't tell the plants apart except by looking at the labels.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Just an opinion....but myself...I actually preferred growing some of the DP Blues over Short's current line up. I believe those older Blue pools are raw and better..than what Short offers now.

Honestly...I've grown out a bunch of Blues (flowering out Old Time Moonshine presently) and DP's Original Flo was the best out of them so far. I worked the shit out of my mother. Older beans. It's been a bunch of years now

....if Short wants his corner of the market: make beans. When was the last Old Time Moonshine released? Blue Moonshine? Blue Velvet? Blue Heaven? Rosebud?.....and drop the prices on the beans. The 90's be way gone now.

I love the Blues...but in reality...I doubt anyone on here...in a blind test...could tell the difference between Grape Krush and Blueberry or Cocoa Kush and Flo....or any of them. Blue is Blue after a while. telling you. It's like repackaging the same stuff with a different name.

Blues are for masochistic outcrossing only...far as I've been

All that said...love and respect to Short. At least he's original. If you can get past the down sides of the Blues....you can find some of the most ornamental expressions in existence.

Last edited: