What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Obama doubles down on his comments about marijuana saying his main concern is the cri

afroman25

If you think for a second that Mitt would have been better for the US than Obama then I have lost all hope for our country. Our education system, your parents, and your efforts to enlighten yourself and give a shit about the hungry and poor have failed. I voted for him twice and I am proud to have done so. No president as ever brought up the racist aspect of our drug laws before, he has. That is why Europe and others think better of Obama than the Tea Party/Republican selfish pricks that they are. Man this is a growers/smokers forum and I go on a political rant. Sorry. But, Fuck it we elected the first black man president, and I am proud of our nation for doing so. Hell next we may elect our first woman president and I'll be proud we did that. Fuck old selfish white men, and I am one of them, although I'm not as selfish as I age.

Exactly, no President has ever discussed this issue. I don't agree with a lot of his politics, but this is spot on

Sóley

Meanwhile, the real story is unfolding here in CO, thanks to Obama & Holder saying whatever they have to say for that to continue. We're giving them the proof they need to come out in support of legalization entirely.

Not too far down the road, they'll say "Look at Colorado. Marijuana has been legal there as an experiment for all this time, and nothing bad has happened. In fact, a lot of good things have happened. We don't want to force people to do anything, so we're leaving it up to the States, moving marijuana from schedule 1 to schedule whatever so that they can make their own choices."

Cue authoritarian right wing raving when that happens.

Mitt? One of the smug-est richest righty-tighty whiteys who ever lived? The guy who probably ran screaming when he smelled pot 40 years ago?

" I'm opposed to it, and if you elect me president, you're not going to see legalized marijuana. I'm going to fight it tooth and nail."

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDkQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Freason.com%2Fblog%2F2012%2F09%2F07%2Fromney-vows-to-fight-marijuana-legalizat&ei=nqFNU63DHYGwyQHz84G4Aw&usg=AFQjCNH2RJO4ynAFopPWgCTAaTPJD9ck_A&bvm=bv.64764171,d.aWc

I'll take him at his word.

Hate-Um Obama? In CO, we're very fortunate indeed that he's in the White House, and we're counting our blessings.

Eric Holder just announced Cannabis has no medical value and is as dangerous as Cocaine and Heroin. ..

PaullyHighBred

yeah and where exactly did he "announce that"....

Or are you saying that by not exerting executive privilege and overturning an act of congress and rescheduling, he has "announced" cannabis has no medical value?

Sóley

Hey there..pauly -

By saying it belongs in schedule I of controlled substances, he is saying it is as dangerous or more so than both scheduled II and scheduled I drugs. By defending his Stance on Classifying Marijuana, he is saying it is More Dangerous than Meth- (sch 2 not 1)cocaine, fentanyl, oxycodone, oxymorphone, alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, ssri, xanax, klonopin, methadone, cocaine (sch 2 again), etc. are apparently all safer and have more medical value without having to much addiction risk.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Eric Holder just announced Cannabis has no medical value and is as dangerous as Cocaine and Heroin. ..

That's not really what he said. He chose his words rather carefully.

For example when asked if the schedule 1 classification of MJ was "silly", he said it's not silly.

He's right. It might be a lot of things, but "silly" is no way to describe it. Misguided, antiquated, erroneous, immaterial- call it what you will, but it's not "silly". He offered no further elaboration or characterization. He never revealed his own opinion. He's a politician, a better one than I'd thought. He didn't say that pot was as dangerous as heroin or cocaine, or that pot has no medical value. It's wrong to put that on him.

It's important to really read & understand what was actually said rather than letting the headlines color our opinion. Take it to the source. Think for yourself- pay attention- take it in with a fresh mind.

Sóley

"Why won't the administration act with the pen and the phone to help people out?" the congressman asked.

"I think we actually have acted in a responsible way," Holder replied.

When Cohen said it was "obvious" that marijuana was miscategorized, the attorney general gave an answer that captured the disparate views on display at the hearing.

"What's obvious to one perhaps is not obvious to another," Holder said.

Holder could make a move right now to remove cannabis, which seems to have loads of medical benefits, from the list of drugs that have no medical benefits and are addictive.

I guess actions speak louder than words.

PaullyHighBred

You see I didn't read it as that,

When holder said, "What's obvious to one perhaps is not obvious to another," about rescheduling, I interpreted that ambiguity as to say whats obvious to U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) (and the rest of us) isn’t as obvious to say U.S. Rep. Jason Smith (R-MO) who wanted Holder to explain why the feds don't bust every pot smoker in the country.

I want to be clear, I'm not defending Holder, I think he's a world class piece of shit and coward.

But the only stance I've read from him on rescheduling is,

“I think that ….that when it comes to rescheduling, I think this is something that should come from Congress”

In other words he and Obama are too chicken shit to take a stand one way or the other (like most politicians) until the vast majority of the voting public explicitly make their feelings known and force Congress' hand...

Jhhnn

Veteran
"Why won't the administration act with the pen and the phone to help people out?" the congressman asked.

When Cohen said it was "obvious" that marijuana was miscategorized, the attorney general gave an answer that captured the disparate views on display at the hearing.

Holder could make a move right now to remove cannabis, which seems to have loads of medical benefits, from the list of drugs that have no medical benefits and are addictive.

Again, Holder chose his words carefully. The schedule 1 classification of cannabis has not prevented MMJ, and enforcement efforts against legit state regulated business has backed off a lot, as I understand it. When a majority of States have done so, rather soon, I think, they'll have bulletproof justification to change the classification. It'll take the fight out federal level opposition entirely.

The remark about what's obvious to one is not obvious to another was brilliant. What he didn't say is that the Colorado experience will make it obvious to most everybody rather shortly.

He and Obama are undoubtedly taking a lot of flack that we don't see for doing as much and as little as they have. When A64 passed, the easy answer for them would have been to seek an injunction in federal court to prevent retail from ever coming into being, and to seek to have that part of it declared federally unconstitutional. They might have been able to have the whole thing invalidated, but they didn't even try. Or they could have said that federal law hadn't changed, sent the DEA to bust anybody who opened their doors for retail.

That's not what they did. Instead, they let the People of CO have our way, implement our legalization scheme. Given the alternatives, that's very much pro-legalization, profoundly so. It's a leap of faith on their part to believe that we can make it work, and to allow us the chance to make it so. We're opening a path, creating a model, a template for others to follow, and they've shown faith in the idea that we can do it. They gave us the chance we've needed all along. I thank them.

Actions do, indeed, speak louder than words.

Our success will utterly destroy all the old paradigms, create an entirely new way of thinking about it and of dealing with it at a societal level. We have to demonstrate that it works, however, and we are. It'll take a year or few for this to unfold, to convince the skeptics, but that just comes with the territory.

Jhhnn

Veteran
You see I didn't read it as that,

When holder said, "What's obvious to one perhaps is not obvious to another," about rescheduling, I interpreted that ambiguity as to say whats obvious to U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) (and the rest of us) isn’t as obvious to say U.S. Rep. Jason Smith (R-MO) who wanted Holder to explain why the feds don't bust every pot smoker in the country.

I want to be clear, I'm not defending Holder, I think he's a world class piece of shit and coward.

But the only stance I've read from him on rescheduling is,

“I think that ….that when it comes to rescheduling, I think this is something that should come from Congress”

In other words he and Obama are too chicken shit to take a stand one way or the other (like most politicians) until the vast majority of the voting public explicitly make their feelings known and force Congress' hand...

I don't see it that way at all. Obama and Holder have a helluva lot more to deal with than just this, and they need the cooperation of a lot of people opposed to legalization to do what this country needs them to do in other realms. Holding it down to the state level is smart on multitiple levels. First off, there's an excellent chance that other states will join CO & WA and a lousy chance for federal legalization as opposed to simple reclassification. If you think that Obama & Holder are the chickenshits in all this, you haven't looked at Congress, particularly the HOR, nor at more than a few State govts.

What's missing, and what CO will provide, is the in-yo'-face evidence that legalization is good policy, better policy than the prohibition of the last 75 years. When we have that, when it's firmly established, the whole thing will flip over center. I'm pretty sure that Obama & Holder believe that as much as I do.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
I don't live in the US and don't know much about what goes on, but Obama does seem to have a much more level head than 'nutcases' like George W.

Understatement of the century.. GWB was like acid on the face of a once decent nation.

C

cannaisok

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@ bigAl25[/FONT] and friends
so you say if hitler was a woman and gay and black, you would be proud to vote for him/her nowadays too? just because he would be the FIRST gay/black/woman president? little naive logic... sorry bout that -patriotismus is something very different ;)
have fun, Hillary clinton will start ww3, what obama is afraid of,and some americans are still so blinded!
get rid of your politicians and read the constitution of the us...

bonbon

The point is my friend is that this is a tedious time in the U.S, in spite of all of the parroted rhetorical phony talking points in this thread,this is still in many ways an aspiring quasi puritan hypocritical white dominated nation whom probably more of majority of the rurally disaffected are threatened by a feeling of an uncomfortable cultural shift.
like the now infamous welfare cowpoke cliven bundy,who became the poster boy for the right-wing for representing the last vestiges of a self righteous grandiose freedom loving true blue american, until he became naively confident about speaking out his belief about a certain segment of the population that he and his ilk have harbored an obvious disdain,animosity for many generations,enough so that felt compelled to become a radical against the tyrannical(pro-negro)government.they are simply manufacturing another mythical cause to galvanize their hate into a powerful constituency. so politically,any talk of legalization or decriminalization from the Obama administration will become a new rallying outcry for the ultra conservative radicals who will twist this into the "Obama regime trying to corrupt white youth" movement,as sean hannitys sheepishly convenient digression from his embarrassing failure to attempt to thrust martyrdom upon bundy,as witnessed on his recent Fox channel Saturday evening anti-marijuana forum show.and the majority of the pro legalize activist on that program were black,and sitting right there in the front row.

S

supreme bean

I would not step foot on american soil.too many crazy folks (with guns)yeee haw.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How has no one commented on the chair that nancy pants is sitting on? Totally reminds me of the ass-baskets you would find in a manufacturing facility.