What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1 Million Signatures for Florida Medical Marijuana Drive

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1 Million Signatures for Florida Medical Marijuana Drive
Organizers behind a bid to legalize medical marijuana in Florida have collected nearly 1 million signatures, about 45% more than needed to qualify the measure for the 2014 ballot.
People United for Medical Marijuana, which is spearheading the effort, needs to get nearly 684,000 valid signatures by Feb. 1 to get the measure in front of voters. The organization had gathered 900,000 signatures as of late last week – up from just 200,000 late November – and hopes to hit the million mark by Tuesday.
That gives it a big buffer to ensure enough signatures are deemed valid, as many will likely get thrown out (which is common in such efforts). The group has said it expects 29% of the signatures could be deemed invalid.
The measure would set up state-licensed dispensaries and allow patients with specific ailments including cancer and glaucoma to use medical marijuana, though physicians could prescribe it if they believe cannabis would outweigh any potential health risks for a particular individual.
Should the proposal make the ballot, it will need to garner at least 60% of the votes in the November election to become law. Meeting that benchmark will be difficult. But support for medical marijuana is strong in Florida. According to a recent poll, 82% of Florida voters back the idea of medical marijuana.
http://mmjbusinessdaily.com/1-million-signatures-for-florida-medical-marijuana-drive/

WelderDan

Veteran
Don't expect the Legislature to fall over themselves in a rush to implement the will of the people. A.G. Pam Bondi and Governor Skeletor have both pledged to fight it.

This one backwards-assed, authoritarian-minded state government we have here.

Cool Moe

Veteran
looks like the only entity that could potentially rain on the Florida parade is the state supreme court...we all know that in the U.S. legislators and judges are bought and sold, so I'll have myself a huge toke right now while I cross my fingers and knock on wood hoping that one of those rat effin bastard judges doesn't scuttle the whole effort

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Florida's my home state, and I lived there most of my life. I really hope this passes and everyone who needs it gets legal access soon. A few family members of mine really need it, but they can only get it illegally at the moment.

Weed should be legal for any adult who wants it. I (almost) understand some of the arguments against legalization. People who've never tried it think it's dangerous and should be banned. I can't understand at all why someone would fight to keep it illegal for cancer patients or people with MS. Maybe they'd understand if they saw a family member suffering and saw for the first time how much this plant can help.

Don't expect the Legislature to fall over themselves in a rush to implement the will of the people. A.G. Pam Bondi and Governor Skeletor have both pledged to fight it.

Well they are both up for re-election at the same time as the petition voting. If they stand and fight, looks like they will be out of a job in Nov.

Other interesting news on the National front, will banks be allowed to get on the band wagon shortly to provide funds for business's?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101318109?__...yahoo&doc=101318109|US moves closer to lettin

OLDproLg

Veteran
YUP!!!

its a HAPPENING.......but how?

anything like canaduh,an im out...
Being on a list just doesnt sound fun yet.....

LEGAL,would be much better!
oh well,small steps to freedom i guess...
Lg

Morcheeba*

Veteran

well, the bill states what is allowed if they fail to implement the law so let them fight it.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
looks like the only entity that could potentially rain on the Florida parade is the state supreme court...we all know that in the U.S. legislators and judges are bought and sold, so I'll have myself a huge toke right now while I cross my fingers and knock on wood hoping that one of those rat effin bastard judges doesn't scuttle the whole effort

the fl supreme court has already made their decision on the legality of the language in the bill and it was seen as meeting the requirement of a single issue ballot initiative.

plus the fl supreme court has already made the decision years ago to allow a medical necessity defense in court any any convictions can be appealed and the fl supreme court has overturned several convictions regarding ones safe access to cannabis.

knowledge is power...........lack of knowledge is fear.

peace

Drift13

This is great news for all of us here in Fla.
Morcheeba, where did you hear about Fla. SC? Not a word from UFC(United for Care)on this subject. And using the medical defense only works if the Judge in your case accepts it. A fella in Tampa wanted to use the medical defense and his judge said hell no.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
^^^^it is my understanding that a medical necessity defense is just explaining that it is for medical reasons and prior to the fl supreme court allowing it as a defense you could not mention in court the poss cann /cultivation of cann. was for medical reasons.

the circuit judge doesn't have to allow it but it could be appealed and it the supreme court would decide if a conviction will be overturned.

you need to show where pharmaceutical options have failed and you are choosing the lesser of two evils. its not easy for one to meet the requirements so the fl supreme court overturns a conviction but it has happened.

ive not checked to see what their opinion was.........I assumed that they cleared it as a single issue ballot since there is no word of it getting delayed but ill check the state web site for the decisions made by the fl supreme court.

EDIT: I could not find the opinion but i assumed it was approved due to UFC still looking for paid petition gatherers to push them over a comfortable margin for this Feb deadline. if the ballot initiative was tossed then there would be no rush to gather another 200,000 sigs since they would easily get them over the next year.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
below is a link and info regarding the case that allows one to claim a Necessity Defense.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/...000&rdepth=0&sufs=2&order=r&cq=&id=527c04164b

"The Necessity Defense in Florida
Despite the fact that the use, possession, and sale of marijuana is prohibited by state law, Florida courts have found that circumstances car necessitate medical use of marijuana and circumvent the application of any criminal penalties. The necessity defense was successfully applied in a marijuana possession case in Jenks v. State7 where the First District Court of Appeal found that "section 893.03 does not preclude the defense of medical necessity" for the use of marijuana if the defendant:
Did not intentionally bring about the ::ircumstance which precipitated the unlawful
act;
Could not accomplish the same objective using a less offensive alternative available; and
The evil sought to be avoided was mc re heinous than the unlawful act."