What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marc Emery's plan for legal washington state grow

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Wondering if any factory growers out there agree with his estimates?

http://www.cannabisculture.com/blog...s-Application-Help-Grow-Washingtons-Legal-Pot

As I look at your situation, I understand that about 300,000 Washington state residents will be regular consumers of about one ounce a month, with up to one million tourists annually who will take advantage of Washington state's new cultural zeitgeist. This requires a retail distribution paradigm that favors variety and price breaks at all levels. I foresee demand levels of about 500,000 to 600,000 ounces (dry weight) per month required. At 16 ounces per pound this is a requirement of 37,500 pounds per month, and since a grow-cycle is about 60 days, 75,000 pounds dry weight every 60 days would need to be produced to meet the expected requirements of the marketplace. Once economy of scale, start-up cost inputs are calculated, I expect the cost of producing the cannabis will be $10-$20 an ounce, or less, but not more, and this would include all production and distribution as well as capital inputs pro-rated over three years, ultimately reducing the costs after three years. Of course, taxation would need to be applied as per your regulations.
This would mean 75,000 1,000-watt bulbs of production operating in the state of Washington under the aegis of the WSLCB to meet this demand. With the retail price at $20-$40 an ounce plus taxation, this will wipe out all aspects of the black market in Washington state, certainly the voters had this in mind when they passed Initiative I-502. This will also make impractical any need to for medical users to grow their medicine, as long as taxation is not so onerous as to re-ignite black market production.
MarcPotPlantByJeffVinnick-300x201.jpg

An ideal production facility with 150 1,000-watt bulbs, with concrete foundations and all sophisticated equipment necessary for 165 pounds every 60 days, (functionally, it would be 35-40 pounds every 15 days), costs $1,000,000 to $1,200,000. To meet the 75,000 pounds every 2 months, you'll need 200-350 facilities to be built. You could make vast-sized facilities of 500 (or even 1,000) bulbs, but the cost savings are inversely proportional to increasing risks, as plant diseases, or pest infestations and other unforeseen disasters, in a closed environment, are difficult to extinguish once endemic in one facility. It is better to have 200-350 separate facilities than 10-20 staggeringly large facilities, so production problems in one unit do adversely affect the production volumes required. Sophisticated outdoor greenhouses are also a cost-efficient consideration but this would be something better suited to eastern Washington's more reliable sunny weather. There is also a market for sun-grown outdoor field marijuana that will have far smaller start-up input costs, but will require a modest level of security.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
he never mentions labor, electric or nutrient costs directly, someone here should be able to verify cost per ounce on a 150 light grow. $10-$20 per ounce seems low. perhaps he plans on using illegal aliens to do his trimming?

do you think Americans would manicure weed all day for minimum wage?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
outdoors will be inconsistent with the weather in Washington for a few years I would think but light assisted greenhouses might be a bit more green.

I think young men will drive the market for frosty indoor dank no matter how much it costs.

Would you really want to gamble your whole year of getting high statewide on a big outdoor crop that gets hammered with some problem in the last week because of 3 weeks of rain or some natural disaster. someday when the world goes legal outdoor can rule again.

TURBD

I was producing on a small scale for about $13.50 a oz. NOT counting my labor.
This was with pricey nutes and mediocre size Harvey's.
There is allot of room to bring that cost down. So $20 a zip is easily achievable.

midwest

It seems to me that greenhouse hydoponic lettuce prodution is very similar to the kind of setup that could eventually happen
The basic setup and labor costs are the same, although they might need to add a few supplimental lights and fans.
Lettuce takes about 75 days to harvest, so it really is very similar
They did an episode of how its made on the discovery channel a few years ago. Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmq9SPPgUpc
Skip to about 2:30 and tell me that doesn't look like a workable setup for cannabis

Lettuce is quite cheap. It could happen

Azeotrope

Veteran
I would still grow my own. I can't stand the thought of some greedy bastards using all kinds of pesticides and chem ferts! Not to mention that I don't like to support larger businesses if I can avoid it. Then there is the sense of satisfaction from the result of one's personal efforts.

S

Seal-Clubber

Growing cannabis in the country which had him put away in canada.. What ballz.. Go for it, Marc! He is sending up two big, FUCK YOU`s, to two big anti-pot governments, Canada and America.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
tax of 75% prior to purchase? not $20-$40 then add tax. making it $60 OZ...will kill black market but not personal growers imo.
mark has lots of time to figure things.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
even at $100 per ounce who is still going to smoke weed? not me. i am going to smoke hash.

and ya, greenhouse all the way.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
bsters were coming into the country at 1200 (wholesale to the street @ 2400) back in the late 90s and real exotics were still in the 5's

MIway

Veteran
Id say hes thinking about things in a proper way, even if we may disagree about specifics. Figuring market size and volume is key at this point...along with isolating and controlling production. Which happens to be the inner workings at this moment...whos grand vision and master plan is going to take control of the state liqour board.

I wont smoke 150k weed...knowing what gets done to get it done. They could limit the size and focus on quality and open it up to true competition under those restraints...but most of the 'players' are doing market analysis and business plans...the underlying value system is profit, not quality. The grows have to be machines...with monkeys cranking the wheel. Might as well as let phillip morris do it, partnered with bayer crop sciences. Thats where the 150k+ model takes us... And 40 zips.

Mom&pops with a value system beyond their own personal profit...like actually doing something they are passionate about & take pride in... Well, thats not in marcs vision. But wa certainly does have an enticing market size...who gets the golden ticket?

Skunkenstein

The state has a 3 Tier Licensing set up..Grower, processor,Retailer..The state wants the Grower to sell Zips at 84 Dollars/3bucks per Grm. While they sell it at 335 or 12/gram. The whole thing has Shwagg Quality written all over it! Each Licensing step has a 250 Application Fee, along with A 1000dollar License..and you can only hold 2 Licenses.I'll be going to the next public meeting to get a feel for what's really going on..

oldchuck

Veteran
I suspect Emery's numbers are pulled out of thin air but lets run with them a minute.

A quick calculation starting with his 37,500 lbs per month gives us 450,000 lbs a year demand. Let's assume you can grow a one pound dynamite cannabis plant in a 6' X 6' patch of ground and you only count on one harvest a year (bad weather, bugs and all). Then you would need less than 400 acres of ground to produce Washington's entire annual projected consumption.

There are individual farmers who plant more than 400 acres of wheat or corn every year. The whole weed crop could come from one big farm. The demand could better be met by 400 one acre farms or even 1600 quarter acre plots. My point is that it is an agricultural drop in the bucket. Don't take much land or a lot of farmers to produce a wicked lot of weed, cheap.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We've had 300 acre busts here in the mountains more than once. 400 legal acres would be easy.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
The state has a 3 Tier Licensing set up..Grower, processor,Retailer..The state wants the Grower to sell Zips at 84 Dollars/3bucks per Grm. While they sell it at 335 or 12/gram. The whole thing has Shwagg Quality written all over it! Each Licensing step has a 250 Application Fee, along with A 1000dollar License..and you can only hold 2 Licenses.I'll be going to the next public meeting to get a feel for what's really going on..

Yes..yes true...the idea is for each step of the process to be done by different licensed groups....thus more job's...over all and less monopoly by who ever....
each facility will have its own staff...location, and employee's
1 for growing...{weather indoor, or greenhouses}
1 for processing... and packaging...IE attaching all the tracking and record processing to keep it legit...
and then 1 for open store front retail operations...to sell to the people

thus allowing the state to tax each of the 3 steps...

BUT after all the only reason this passed was so the state could make money...
so at least it's a step toward sum kind of system....
Emery might be a goober... but he's got more insight and direction than the WA state has....currently
and they want to start selling by end of the year....
the dam license isn't even set yet...
let allow all these FACILITIES....
besides they still got a grow...the pot

plus most of WA knows good pot....
so swag would only sell to the tourist...

jiggywhompus

Just felt the need to clear a little bit of this up as there is a ton of confusion around this subject.

Yes, it is a 3 tier system, however, the state is not going to be the one selling anything as you stated. All the state is doing is handing out the licenses and collecting fees/taxes. They are NOT however involved in any of the 3 tiers of producing/processing/retailing.

So it is a bit misleading saying the grower is selling it for 84 while the state wants to sell it for 335...the state isn't selling anything remember. Just taxes.

Yes, the grower may be selling it for 84 but after a standard 50-100% markup (as this is common in many industries) between each tier (producer to processor and then processor to retailer and then finally the markup to final consumer) then that is how you arrive at say, a 300 dollar ounce. The only slice that the state is getting from this entire process is the taxes collected at each step of the way.

Also just wanted to clear up that saying you can only only hold 2 licenses is slightly misleading. You cannot just pick and choose what 2 licenses you want. What the law states is that anyone who holds a producer license is indeed also allowed to simultaneously carry a processor license. You CANNOT however hold a retailer's license while having either a producer or processor license.