What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

Nice stories bamboo!

But to be honest I don't think there will be that much of that intergalactic rock climbing feeling left after crossing it to indica. Feels like such a waste of such a nice find. These days interest and awareness from the public in pure traditional lines seems to be increasing, so that might be commercially worthwile too..

bamboozle

ICMag Donor
Nice stories bamboo!

But to be honest I don't think there will be that much of that intergalactic rock climbing feeling left after crossing it to indica. Feels like such a waste of such a nice find. These days interest and awareness from the public in pure traditional lines seems to be increasing, so that might be commercially worthwile too..

Hey Locust,
There is definitely a lot of interest in pure Sativas, problem is, that we don't have a male Mangga to cross with, and I would like to make this strain more viable for our climate. We will probably end up using some of our highland Thai, or Cambodian males to pollinate this, and keep some Sativa offspring. I'm also open to suggestions, if you have ideas on how best to make use of this gem. We have lots of Sativa males, just not the Mangga. This was the only pheno that didn't hermie. The others had the strangest hermie I've ever seen. Each branch would alternate between being an all female or all male branch. All the way up the stalk! I'll be making a trip back to South East Asia sometime this year. I still have the contacts that I got these from, so I may be able to find a male to compliment this one, but it'll be awhile. In the meantime, we'll do our best to find that pheno that maintains its electrifying interplanetary rock climbing properties, while reducing flowering time and height. Oxymoron maybe? But, its worth a shot, I'm guilty of being a dreamer. :D

S

scai

A few picture of the genetic variation of Thai sativas.

GN Thai Stick purchased 2012 A
GN Thai Stick purchased 2012 B
Pure Thai brought back from Thailand. Should be called, Never Finnish Thai.

I just couldn't help myself mate, but you are right, there is no Finnish thai ;) Ecxept what few of us are growing inside.
(giggle, don't be angry with me ;)

Otherwise your thread is ecxellent.Very interesting sativas, have many more in future...

bamboozle

ICMag Donor
Why not use the hermies if there is no male.

Good point. I wish I had a good answer. The truth is that we were overwhelmed with other projects, and maintaining what we already had while trying to expand out genetic library, can get over the top, and lead to poor choices. It was a poor decision not to save the pollen off of the hermies, or use what we had. They were the weirdest hermies that I've ever seen. One whole branch would show male flowers, while the next branch would show all female flowers, and this is how it alternated all the way up to the top of the plant. I think we have a few, maybe four seeds, that came off of the mother plant that I took the clone from. They were created by the pollen from one of the hermies before we killed it. We could try hunting for a male there, but it would be a while before we could get to that project. If I can get a Silver Pearl male I might consider using that to shorten the flowering time, while trying to preserve as much of the Sativa as I can.

OLDproLg

Veteran
STS dude!

Spray a fem clone an you got it...
ANyways here is my old thai stick plants,from uk fat sticks
back in 07' but sad thing is after 6 months they just started to
pre flower and i got popped....so the pigs cut them down an i never finished.

Attachments

• guerrilla.6.JPG
    guerrilla.6.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 87
S

shokdee

Just wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone, very inspirational. This beginner has been bewitched and started on the long road. I'll pull up a chair and follow along.

Shokdee

ThaiBliss

Veteran
These plants are moving along.. colder nights and cooler days...

Chomba64 - How did your Thai turn out?

Looks like most people lost patience with these, but yours were the only pics with some well developed bud. The exception is Bushy, who posts lots of mature Thai genetics in other threads.

I'd like updates from all since I can't get enough (or any).

:biggrin:

Cheers,

ThaiBliss

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
I remember in the early 70's taking Thai Sticks apart slowly and looking at the herb it was made of and I found male flowers. I used to find a seed every now and then to.
These plants are naturally hermi and hermi does not mean it's worthless as medicinal/recreational herb or breeding material to me anyway. I think it's good to reproduce away from hermi if possible, but we need to consider that hermi is natural and OK in some situations. It's the plants way of survival and anything living will use whatever is at it's disposal to survive.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I remember in the early 70's taking Thai Sticks apart slowly and looking at the herb it was made of and I found male flowers. I used to find a seed every now and then to.
These plants are naturally hermi and hermi does not mean it's worthless as medicinal/recreational herb or breeding material to me anyway. I think it's good to reproduce away from hermi if possible, but we need to consider that hermi is natural and OK in some situations. It's the plants way of survival and anything living will use whatever is at it's disposal to survive.

Good point RandyCalifornia. In general, I think the quality and potency has actually gone down since the '70s and early '80s due to way too much emphasis on aesthetics, bag appeal. I will say that we don't get the bunk weed as much anymore. This is my U.S. Midwest and West Coast perspective.

Long live Thai,

ThaiBliss

Chomba64

Veteran
Chomba64 - How did your Thai turn out?

Looks like most people lost patience with these, but yours were the only pics with some well developed bud. The exception is Bushy, who posts lots of mature Thai genetics in other threads.

I'd like updates from all since I can't get enough (or any).

:biggrin:

Cheers,

ThaiBliss

They did not have time to finish last season. The buds were forming nicely but not enough time. We are growing them in the greenhouse this season and should be able to give a better report... Peace

sativafiend

Hi again Chomba,the cool nithts will bring out any -purple colouring ,i have had some of this HT stock go deep purple,you can see pics in my album on another site.Well done with the grow,its great to see these being grown out all over the world now,and still no reports of intersex issues.SF

sativafiend

I would suggest the Highland thais at Breeders Choice. They are selected from the chocolate thai stock

Highland Thai from Breeders choice is Highland Thai/Myanmar border stock same as RSC used to be.Name has been changed from Burmese border as Myanmar is now the correct name of the country.SF

sativafiend

Highland Thai can be found that has no intersex issues,the HT/Burmese(myanmar),i have seen many grows both indoor and out door from all over the world and some far so good.The lowland types maybe a different issue but i know much less about these.The line the RSC and BCO carried which you see being grown bye Chomba is the result of 100s of years of inbreeding,very stable and consistant,a great breeding tool.I dont know where DJ short got his lines but i presume in the same region as tastes and growth habits seem to be pretty much the same,i guess its just taking the time to find the real worked well genectics,it takes a very long time.Peace.SF:biggrin:I have lost many of my photos but will post some up when i find them.

Attachments

• DSC00332.jpg
    DSC00332.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC00333.jpg
    DSC00333.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 68
Highland Thai can be found that has no intersex issues,the HT/Burmese(myanmar),i have seen many grows both indoor and out door from all over the world and some far so good.The lowland types maybe a different issue but i know much less about these.The line the RSC and BCO carried which you see being grown bye Chomba is the result of 100s of years of inbreeding,very stable and consistant,a great breeding tool.I dont know where DJ short got his lines but i presume in the same region as tastes and growth habits seem to be pretty much the same,i guess its just taking the time to find the real worked well genectics,it takes a very long time.Peace.SF:biggrin:I have lost many of my photos but will post some up when i find them.

It would be super cool if you located similar Thai strains that DJ used. It would be great to have access to a new stable blueberry line. Didn't he use light movers to replicate the tropical sun?