What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaiian Sativas

oldhaole

Veteran
Hey Hawaiian

well....it looks like things have started.

I don't understand.

i am not sure why i replied to this thread, as i am not legal like you, but i think it is important to note what the other side of hawaiian growing is doing.

You're right. Feel free to tell us in a seperate thread. You can call it Hybreds in Hawaii, whatever you want.

not everyone needs to come from old school breeding programs to know whats up.

Sorry...If your talking old school you are talking sativas. Sativas have been here 50+ years. Indicas....15 maybe 20 years max. And I never inplied you don't know what's up.

everyone here knows what they need to do to get by.

we live on islands, and know how to survive.

think about it

No disagreement

7 pukas don't matter to me. i grow it indo mostly, but outdoor too...i'm not sure what to say except that if this is a Hawaii thread, then let's see some muthafucking hawaii.

Pukas do matter a lot to me. I get 7. That's all. So I work with my own Sativa lines. Sativas yield far more than crosses.

Doc...Thanks for giving it a shot. Correct me if I'm wrong... The cheese you mentioned is 12.5% of an unknown Hawaiian Sativa, grown an unknown islands under unknown conditions. See what I mean in my first post?

Kanga....Thats a beaut. I'd guess you'll get a lb half out of that.

Guess you guys are showing yours....I'll show a few of mine from last year long season.

The last one is a hybred.

Attachments

• r 1a.jpg
    r 1a.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 107
  • t 9.jpg
    t 9.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 102
  • t 7.jpg
    t 7.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 98
  • u 3.jpg
    u 3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 101
  • y 11.jpg
    y 11.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 114

Kangativa

Veteran
lol.....Now they are nice !!!!:tiphat:

Yeah I dont know what I will get yet, she is about 8ft. If I hadnt put it in late she would have been bigger or lying on the ground from all the rain we have had.
I had a G13 Hawaiian as well, but that was pretty much just G13.
Here is a pic of a Hawaiian x Vietnam Black, I have 3 pheno's of this cross and all different, this one leans more towards the Nam side.
I have always been interested in Hawaiian genetics as I work with a guy in Alaska who was from Maui. I had the chance to visit him in the 80's but went to Mexico instead.
Now I am not a wanted person in the USA due to this plant we all love, so Hawaii is out of the question.

picture.php

oldhaole

Veteran
I owe Doc an apology. He took the time to point out to me that Cheese is a cross of Skunk Colombian, Mexican, and Afgan. I got my wrong info on it being "mostly Indica" from the strain guide. I ran with it, I was wrong, and I am sorry.
In addition he was classy enough to correct me off on the side instead of the public forum. For which I thank him.
Mea Culpa.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yo buddy. you dont owe me any appologies,, we all learn pon we grow :canabis:

Cheese = Skunk #1
Skunk = Colombian x Mexican x Afghan [Sam the Skunkman]. He's a member here , just pm him :D

- - -

Let's get back to the Hawaiian Sativa ... :yes:

Spice [Shantibaba/Mr Nice] is the ONLY commercially available (to folks reading this thread) pure Hawaiian (sativa x indica) that I know of. It's a really nice earthy smoke.. having only smoked skunk or cheese hybrids of Hawaiian before.. then Shanti's 'Spice' is the one we'd reach out for from the curing jars.

Likewise I've pm'd Shanti before and asked him about the lineage of Spice, he told us how he personally collected the seeds (as a surfer from memory) but i dont intend to paraphrase him here,, just in case i get the fact totally wrong... hopefully he'll chip in with his experience and wisdom (someone PM him) :D

You folks are growing real 'landrace' Hawaiian sativa judging from the photos,,, which is very healthy :yes:
So on that note,,, I n I gonna kickback and stfu and see what grows , and learn from the experts :canabis:

Peace n flowers to ALL

(again apologies if my first post appeared as purely spam,, it was in essence, yet with the express intention of turning cats onto Hawaiian sativa genetics, wherever they come from. ideally Hawaii) :rasta:

TheFlyinHaWyn!

aloha bro, i was just shooting the shit :) good luck on informing everyone, there is enough here for all kinds. aloha, and good luck on your long season!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I wanted to show my hawiian strain that I had 3 summers ago.
in the ground and under the good ol sun. :D
and her buds tasted like a bag of sweet melon fruit.

The Hawaiian sativa that I knew and loved was actually HS crossed with ISS one of the best sativas I have ever puffed.It was very popular around the SE for a long time I think it came from Federation seeds but not sure.Really,really, nice smoke hope to get my hands back on a cut of it from some of my red neck brothers.

bodymind

Veteran
picture.php

one of my hawaiian's grown indoors then moved outside to initiate flowering in the short days of late winter. A beefy sativa with the most sublime tropical scent imaginable: tropical fruit punch and pina-colada with a hint of spice. One of the finest scents in cannabis I've ever experienced.... This pheno comes up pretty frequently in this old seedline, which has a lot of variation.

aloha gang,

I just want to give my imput to the so=called Hawaiian strains everybody is writing and talking about.
I grew up in Hawaii, spent summer vacation down in Waikiki, and the rest of year in Lahaina Maui. Currently I'm living & growing in the Puna District of the Big Island as a caregiver & patient .. I learned to grow in the early 70's from two hippie brothers from Kula Maui. I taught them how to surf,and they taught me how to grow in Hawaii outdoors. For me it was the perfect trade off.
For many years the only weed you saw on the shores of Hawaii was dirt weed from Mexico. It wasn't till the early to mid 70's that Hawaii started to produce their owns strains of cannabis. the two sativas were called 'Golden throat', and 'Elephant'. Elephant was by and large the favorite sativa of the islands. These beautiful 10 to 15ft plants!

More upon my return...

oldhaole

Veteran
Mamories...sorry...that's Memories

Mamories...sorry...that's Memories

I have an Elephant Ear going this season. Thru the generations we only crossed it with itself so it isn't the most stable strain. Giant sun leaves, and she...so far...is gonna get big.

I remember Golden Throat as a strain called Golden Voice. Grown in East Maui mostly. A fellow poster remembers it from Kipahulu area.

The strain we know as Bloodweed came from some gold weed from Mexico. Maybe 20 generations later, we've had it for...shit... 30+ years. Each year we run a few of these too.

My somewhat shot memory remembers the Thai was the first decent weed seeds we grew. Appeared early '70's. Your memories of Golden Voice and Elephant Ear are the same as mine regarding time frame. Also along came the first Mango....never found out it's origins...it was tasty though. Next came the HB.

By the early 80's everybody was crossing their own strains. Some of us kept seeds, and kept the lines pure. Many of the old strains are gone. Lost, or crossed out of existance. A few live on.

Pic 1) Elephant Ear
Pic 2) A Thai cross.

Attachments

• hole 11.jpg
    hole 11.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 79
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 87
wow brah, how cool! If you really have the Elephant genetics I'm jealous,..yet very happy for you! Golden Voice..Golden Throat",evidentally you know what I mean! Brah, what I'm trying to do now is get some of these Hawaiian Heirloom strains and start breeding to create a seedbank for Hawaii. About six to eight months ago I wrote Gov. Abecrombie, and told him of my intentions to start a medical seedbank for the 50th state med patients. His response was not no, but a more let's wait and see the climate in a year or so. Wait a year on top of the time already it takes to stabelize a strain? No can do! So I'm on the hunt for cuttings or seeds of any local heirloom strains.
What area of Maui do you live? I use to live/grewup on the westside(Lahaina). But moved away before the end of 75. How long have you been there? At times I miss Maui, but I really love Puna though!

bodymind

Veteran
those genetics above sound wonderful! and the insights into the scene there are truly valueable.... Here are a few pics of a random bagseed from the islands that my friend collected. I have no idea if it is a recently imported or older line. I do know that it took longer to flower than anything else in my garden and smells of eucalyptus, cleaner, and tropical cherry.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Does it ring any bells for anyone? It was very tall and branchy and needed to be tied down. The bud structure and calyx to leaf ratio is great!

oldhaole

Veteran
If I had to Wild Assed Guess I'd say it is a Hash Bud. It looks like it. Of course it is next to impossible to determine what exactly it is through pics.

Whatever it is ...sure looks tasty.

bodymind

Veteran
i would assume she had some indica in there by the density of the buds, but the huge amount of stretchy branching and sssuuuuuupppper long flower time suggest an almost pure sativa to me. The scent profile is also almost purely sativa as well. I imagine it's a refined line that was grown out in, or possibly bred to some older genes... But that is just a guess too....

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I lived on Maui in 1977. I lived in Lahaina, and also spent plenty of time at seven sacred pools. The maui weed we had back then was not like what is being sold in seed form. Although great smoke, this seems more hazey to me, where as the old stuff from Lahaina was more spicey earthy incencey.

Remember this spot? I used to camp out here all the time. This was my favorite place to have a cup of tea and smoke a joint.

picture.php

We pulled alot of Opihi(shellfish), Octopus, fish, and even lobster out of this inlet. We were almost attacked by sharks in there too.

Latest posts

Latest posts