What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nitrogen toxicity and humidity / heat ?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I have been reading up on the "claw" (leaf tips curl down) and spindly leaves. It is not a problem I am currently having, but one that I get on/off.

I came across this:
Nitrogen toxicity can be seen when there are very very dry conditions almost as if there was a drought, which may show a burning effect.

(dunno how reputable that is. Google it to find the full text)

I'm wondering - HOW or WHY do dry conditions lead to N toxicity?

burnt out og'er
Veteran
An N toxicity will show up as very dark green foliage, more so than showing any signs of a tip burn.
Imho, you'd have to overlook the dark green condition for quite a while, before the plants would start ever start showing a tip burn.

Dry conditions in a container plant where the soil has been receiving chem ferts can trigger a fert tip burn or burnt roots when they're fed again.
With very very dry soil (dust bowl like bone dry), it is often better to first moisten the soil with a watering before applying another feeding.

I can offer zero other logical reasoning why dryness could cause an N specific toxicity other than the above burnt roots scenario.
Even then I believe it would be more of a P & K tox causing the burn not N

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Thanks for the replies. More N uptake is correct.. was wondering why. I was reading up on other deficiencies and toxicities and came across this,

"Toxicity is compounded by low humidity. The additional transpiration causes more manganese to be drawn into foliage"

Yeah I always wondered what exactly caused leaf tips to burn when over fertilizing, as I seemed to be getting N toxicity without burning tips.