What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Recent Serious Seeds AK-47 seedstock

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
First off let me say it seems a lot of the stuff in High Times magazine is tripe drivel - some of it total unfounded and designed solely for someone to profit. Now, I only state that so you'd know I don't believe everything I read. :)

That said I was reading in Treating Yourself today (Issue 12) an article by SubCool who speculates the AK47 being sold by Serious Seeds is no longer the REAL DEAL, it's just AK-47 in name and that if you wanted the real thing you'd need to either get a clone for pre-'99 stock or a seed, somehow. He also stated that he grew (and other he knew) recent AK47 seed stock and it was crappy weed that was nothing like the old stuff, and that the old stuff was always a cherry pheno . . . .

Anyways, just wondering if anyones grown this out recently from recently purchased seeds, and what you're result was . . .

I have searched the forums and found some info, but I'm looking for grows in the last, say, 18 months (meaning you purchased the seeds in the last 18 months).

I'm really just wondering how you liked the smoke?

How strong was the odor in flower? How about after harvest?

How much did they stretch in flower?

Thanks!

H

HippyCrackTx

i have 5 that are about 7in tall so we shall see....man i really hope they are not bunk,ive wanted to grow this strain for ten years

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
My Bad, its in Treating yourself, Issue 12, starting on page 90, titled "In Search of Old School AK"

Here is an excerpt
"Years ago when I traveled to Amsterdam one of the first heavy Indica’s I tried was AK-47. I loved the spicy fruity taste and if memory serves we actually got so high I was dosing sitting
in Grey Area and Steve poked me and gave me a look that said I like ya Sub but you can’t sleep in my tiny shop. We headed outside for fresh air and then across the street for Handmade Gourmet chocolates. I never forgot that experience, so we took some seeds back to grow out for nighttime medicine. This was 12 years ago and over the years I lost my female and lost contact with the guys that I gave cuts to or the other growers that I split the seeds with. In 2002 I grew out some seeds of AK-47 and I was really disappointed in the results. The strain was nothing like I remembered and each female was quite different from seed. Even Simon the breeder and owner of Serious seeds has stated openly that up to 100 AK-47 seeds would need to be started to find the one cherry female that everyone knew and loved back in the early 90’s. I felt the male or something was lost and the AK-47 seeds sold now were in name only and I moved on to other clone only strains for my medicine.
"

Last edited by a moderator:
C

csedge

i forget where but somewere on here a guy in europe rans packs of that andtheir bgum i think it was and it was up there with some of the best looking pictures i seen all last year, the pot looked amazing

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Ya I hope that it's good, I've read a LOT of great stuff about it. Still I read this article earlier tonight and was really surprised. Subcool makes it sound as though AK47 is dead and gone as seed stock, these days its just not the same.

I don't know, I never had AK before, so I guess at least I can't miss something I've never had.

Anyways I'd still like to hear from anyone growing out some AK purchased as seed in the last couple years from Serious via direct or an affiliate to see how it compares.

Thanks again for the comments.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are you comparing it to? to me AK-47 is not a med strain. If you take this strain and put it up against Rez or BOG AK-47 would lose.

Last edited:

PWF

subcool loves to critisize.
i wonder about seed vendors giving their opinions on other breeders werk myself. i never ran ak-47 but ive toked the older stuff thats cherry and im just not that impressed. ya, sub has better strains in his garden but then so do i.
sub was a good friend to me once...:dunno:
peace,
pwf

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
@ Hammerhead: Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, not sure what you mean "What are you comparing it to?" but if I had to say, I guess I'm comparing current AK47 seed stock to legendary AK47 plants/the AK47 description that subcool states the current seed stock does not live up too.

Also, you say against BOG or Rez AK47 would lose, but AK is commonly considered one of the strongest strains available. I didn't think BOGs gear was quite as potent (looking) from the photos and grow reports I've read, but to each his own, personally I don't even thin it's clear yet what makes one strain more or less valuable as "medicine" or whether the same medicine (strain) would have the same effect and potency on different patients . . .

I would agree though that the AK in your pics doesn't compare to REZ gear, but would you say you were unhappy with it? I've seen some pics of AK recently that looked outstanding, but many are 3-4 years back. When did you run AK (I mean when were the seeds from, were they from Serious Seeds?)

I am not a med user, just a casual smoker, but subcool in his article if you read it was comparing todays AK47 seed stock with pre 99 seed stock, saying Simon reworked the strain and one of the parents may have been lost . . . blah blah.

Anyways, my questions are:

ust wondering if anyones grown this out recently from recently purchased seeds (post 2007), and what you're results were . . .

I have searched the forums and found some info, but I'm looking for grows in the last, say, 18 months (meaning you purchased the seeds in the last 18 months).

I'm really just wondering how you liked the smoke?

How strong was the odor in flower? How about after harvest?

How much did they stretch in flower?

So really I'm just wondering how people who have run AK-47 from seed in the last year or so would say it compares to the "hype" or "image" of AK-47 as portrayed by it's legend, breeders description, and reputation.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grew mine out last year. The smoke was ok nothing special. I would classify as a high end medium strain. I have many others that are much better in taste, smell and high

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
I grew mine out last year. The smoke was ok nothing special. I would classify as a high end medium strain. I have many others that are much better in taste, smell and high

Hmm, would you say it disappointed you compared the AK-47 description/reputation?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At the time I grew it no. Now that I have sampled more strains that are much better. I can look back and see it was not that impressive. I would not grow this strain again I would chose something better. From Serious Seeds I would get Kali Mist. I still have some of these beans and this strain to this day is wonderful..Most people that really love this strain have not grown out many strains imo.

REZDOG

Veteran
Firstly,sub is an idiot.
That he was comparing commercial Dutch "AK-47"
(It could have been "Bubblegum" or "White Widow",in A'damm it's all interchangeable,lol!)
....simply proves it.
(He's a marginal photo-slop editor,
(Balance those purples,subby!)
Add more tie-die to the background,subby....roflmao!!
(FILTER THAT SHOT AGAIN-and AGAIN!!)
ROFLAMO!! .....
Subby & the ever-effervescent (banned) Jason King musta' taken photoshop 101 together-and Failed-Epically.)
Subby's the poly-poly-poly hybrid king.
Ho,HUM :)
Anyhow....
To actually answer this question,I grew Serious' AK-47 & Nirvana'a "AK-48" several years ago,(around 2003/4) side by side,when requested by Gypsy to do so.
Imo that run ALL sucked,but I've never seen AK that impressed me,either,outside of one "cherry" AK plant I had,years back.....
Imo AK is a waste of time,Chemdog is a FAR superior indica,as are the OGK's and many currently available hybrids.
IMO Simon's falling WAY behind the times,he needs an infusion of New genetics or he'll be obsolete before 2012 strikes the clock....
That said,imo fuck the AK,move on to 21st Century genetics and leave the tired old shit behind.

Cheers!

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Firstly,sub is an idiot.
That he was comparing commercial Dutch "AK-47"
(It could have been "Bubblegum" or "White Widow",in A'damm it's all interchangeable,lol!)
....simply proves it.
(He's a marginal photo-slop editor,
(Balance those purples,subby!)
Add more tie-die to the background,subby....roflmao!!
(FILTER THAT SHOT AGAIN-and AGAIN!!)
ROFLAMO!! .....
Subby & the ever-effervescent (banned) Jason King musta' taken photoshop 101 together-and Failed-Epically.)
Subby's the poly-poly-poly hybrid king.
Ho,HUM :)
Anyhow....
To actually answer this question,I grew Serious' AK-47 & Nirvana'a "AK-48" several years ago,(around 2003/4) side by side,when requested by Gypsy to do so.
Imo that run ALL sucked,but I've never seen AK that impressed me,either,outside of one "cherry" AK plant I had,years back.....
Imo AK is a waste of time,Chemdog is a FAR superior indica,as are the OGK's and many currently available hybrids.
IMO Simon's falling WAY behind the times,he needs an infusion of New genetics or he'll be obsolete before 2012 strikes the clock....
That said,imo fuck the AK,move on to 21st Century genetics and leave the tired old shit behind.

Cheers!

Hmm, that kinda sucks, lol.

Are 21st century genetics better? Seems like it's the same thing repackaged and sometimes even watered down . . . I mean there is value in preserving a line if it is indeed top shelf, right?

But it seems your experience and some others speaks to the contrary.

How was the stretch, do you recall?

I don't have any Chemdog but I just bought some of your Chemdog Sour D on the 7th and that's my next run . . .

Wasn't sure when you said "Chemdog is a far superior indica" if you meant Chemdog is better AND an indica, or Chemdog is better AS an indica; isn't AK47 supposedly sativa dom?

Thanks for the reply REZ.

MapleMonk

hmmmm, lot of hard words against the ak47.Is true that if you look for a bedtime indica , she would be a bad bet, but she is still a stinky and super resinous plant ! fruity all the way, with hints of sandalwood in the more sativa like phenos.
stretch and flower time also depends on pheno, indica pheno : 8-9 weeks with really little stretch; sativa doubles in height with 10-11 weeks flowertime; indica phenos are more common imo;
the high was a "not to special hybrid-like experience", def no "killer bedtime stuff" but more on the "chilling with friend an playing some game, watching a movie, playing drum" side.
taste is fruity but def not as strong as the smell ! pleasant but nothing to special !

45953ak47_indica.jpg

45953ak47_sativa13.jpg

45953ak21.JPG

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
i've grown ALOT of the indi pheno over the last few years-big and little style-indoors and out. It gives big yields of comparitivily strong weed. Quite high odour-smelling fruity/anaseed/liquerish (however you spell it) with big bulbous buds.
The stretch is minimal-hardly anything. It is quite a robust strain, but not as hardy as, say sk#1. flowering time-8 weeks is plently.

personally i'm a sat lover so it is not my thing except for a bifta or two at bedtime. forget the sat dom thing-it isn't it's an almost total indica

if you're not getting results with it either you've had duff, or bogus, seeds or you're doing something drastically wrong

cheers
eddieS