What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Q's about broken timer and changed light schedule @ 12/12

farmererror

Hey all, new user here.. good to be here.

Yeah so my timer broke and I'm currently turn on my lights manually now as my work routines allow me to be present at my grow at those times. Well this is a temporary fix until I'll get another timer, that can handle my ~ 3ampere load at startup.

The thing is, when my timer broke I noticed that 15 minutes late, so I turned the light off manually and then put it back on 12h hours later, 15 minutes later than the day before.

And then about 2 weeks later it happened again, I missed the off switch with 18 minutes, and then I waited 12h again to turn on the light.

Am I approaching this issue correctly? Ofc this timer issue need to be fixed so I can have consistent light cycles. But I'm thinking as long as there is 12 hours of darkness the hormones wont change and will not make the ladies revert to vegetative stadium or hermie?

What do you guys think? Should I have kept the original light-schedule to allow for example: 12h 15minutes light on and 11h 45minutes lights off, or is the approach I'm using right now the safer bet?

Answers will be much apprecieted.
biggrin.gif

corky1968

Veteran
Stuff happens.

Just stay on track and ignore the little off times.

I also need a new timer. My old one went wacky and sometime fails to work.
It sometimes doesn't start the next day. Cheap stuff at times. So get a new
one when you can.

Till then manual timing sucks. This I know all to well.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
15 minutes difference will not cause bad things.
as you made sure they had 12 hours dark....
you do know the sun shines different times every day?
it's gonna be OK.
burn one for ICMag.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
In your case when the light (daylight) is different it is not too serious. In the other case when the night is interrupted by some light (leaks maybe) the plants get stressed and can develop into herms. You are good. Like trichrider said sometimes you get a cloudy day and the light is different. Best get a new timer before it makes you crazy doing it manually.

farmererror

Thanks a bunch buddies.

It sure calmed me down a little bit. The ladies look pretty good and not stressed at all. New timer is coming in a couple of days, the last timer was barely a week old when she broke. That is some effed up sh*t

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hey all, new user here.. good to be here.

Yeah so my timer broke and I'm currently turn on my lights manually now as my work routines allow me to be present at my grow at those times. Well this is a temporary fix until I'll get another timer, that can handle my ~ 3ampere load at startup.

The thing is, when my timer broke I noticed that 15 minutes late, so I turned the light off manually and then put it back on 12h hours later, 15 minutes later than the day before.

And then about 2 weeks later it happened again, I missed the off switch with 18 minutes, and then I waited 12h again to turn on the light.

Am I approaching this issue correctly? Ofc this timer issue need to be fixed so I can have consistent light cycles. But I'm thinking as long as there is 12 hours of darkness the hormones wont change and will not make the ladies revert to vegetative stadium or hermie?

What do you guys think? Should I have kept the original light-schedule to allow for example: 12h 15minutes light on and 11h 45minutes lights off, or is the approach I'm using right now the safer bet?

Answers will be much apprecieted.View Image
in 2 weeks you couldn't come up with a new timer?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran

I know, right

My first grow I did manual for a couple weeks, was very
uncomfortable. I really thought I didn't need a timer.

lol, funny shit right there.

farmererror

well yes I could but I didn't .. that is the price I've to pay to be a stubborn SOB with no money at that particular period of time :tiphat:

So I bought this pricey analouge timer with a internal 16 amp
relay or how the h*ll it's called in yer language. And it breaks after a week of use, so ofc i get really mad and declare war on all producers of shiney labeled boxes of crap products. And then I calm down...

Wonder how long this timer will last?

Anyway guys, thx for the replies and knowledge. :tiphat:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
well yes I could but I didn't .. that is the price I've to pay to be a stubborn SOB with no money at that particular period of time :tiphat:

So I bought this pricey analouge timer with a internal 16 amp
relay or how the h*ll it's called in yer language. And it breaks after a week of use, so ofc i get really mad and declare war on all producers of shiney labeled boxes of crap products. And then I calm down...

Wonder how long this timer will last?

Anyway guys, thx for the replies and knowledge. :tiphat:

farmer, no need for pricey: $5 = http://www.lowes.com/pd_148297-66906-UTTNI2412_1z0vgbm__

if you can manage pricey: http://www.lowes.com/pd_55785-251-T104R_1z0vgbkZ2z8vn__?productId=4315763&pl=1

if you continue for extended periods (years) everything becomes less expensive and more useful.

EDIT: OH yeah... don't be a thick head!:biggrin: I know, I'm one too.

farmererror

farmer, no need for pricey: $5 = http://www.lowes.com/pd_148297-66906-UTTNI2412_1z0vgbm__

if you can manage pricey: http://www.lowes.com/pd_55785-251-T104R_1z0vgbkZ2z8vn__?productId=4315763&pl=1

if you continue for extended periods (years) everything becomes less expensive and more useful.

EDIT: OH yeah... don't be a thick head!:biggrin: I know, I'm one too.

Thanks for the suggestions and links Snook, if we only had lowes here in my part of the world :) Anyway, timer is installed and running correctly atm.

And about the thick headed, its hard to change right especially when ur thick headed by nature :biggrin: