What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ancient Chinese Stoner

So they found this ancient Chinese mummy in a cave with a whole helluva lot of premium cured nugs that were 2,500 years old:

Here's the article in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology

I'm also aware that scientists believe it wasn't far from this area where they think the cannabis species originated, does anyone know if their are any local cannabis cultures up in the XinJiang area of china, and would not there be some seriously old landraces to be found in the area?

Just a thought.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last paragraph painted those poor Scythians as drug abusers and the Chinese shamans as a medical/religious users.

Everyone's ready to shit on the guy that just wants to party.

They found a caucasian in China from about then a couple years back too...this isn't the same one is it?
They found green buds on him...thought he was a traveling shaman.

Edit...wow! Great article! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Back to my original question though...any of y'all ever heard of ancient cultures in the XinJiang area of China that cultivate cannabis still?

daneye

Well,the Uighers (dominant ethnic group of Xinjiang province) have produced and smoked hashish for a long time and still continue to do so this day ! How ancient ? I don't know but you can find their wares in any major Chinese city today :)

Well,the Uighers (dominant ethnic group of Xinjiang province) have produced and smoked hashish for a long time and still continue to do so this day ! How ancient ? I don't know but you can find their wares in any major Chinese city today :)

Great answer!!! Exactly what I was looking for...I'd love to visit the Uighers and select a few plants to get some beans from.

OPO

Back to my original question though...any of y'all ever heard of ancient cultures in the XinJiang area of China that cultivate cannabis still?
Hi there,-I only know that the oasis around Kaxgar/Kashgar (Old Urigurian/= XinJang area) was the home-area of the most exclusive+expensive Hash who was imported to india(=India s native landraces are not good to make hash+ the Sativa-Charas was more like a poormans hash-......
-But I can not found anything about Urigurian Hash nowadays,-so I think only a few will grow for own smoke,-but not for sale I think!?
-Maybee this Indica,-or mostly Indica Landraces there are similar to the Uzbekian/Tadschikian Hashplants,-in the western Tian-Shan,because Kaxgar is at the south of the east Tian-Shan!?
-At the pic of the area ,the oasis looks a little bit like the Oasis aroud Mazar i Sharif ,-like Balkh,-some oasis+river-oasis ve a wall around the oasis,-to beware of the strong-kontinental winds and the sand .
-So maybee there Tall plants there too!?
-The Mumies ,-where some was european types(-Blonde,not "Bactrian-arians") are a relict of the history of the silk-road where at this times many trade goes along and many different ethics exist and moved because of war or mongolians+ Turk- ethics.

The debate is whether Gushi Culture was using hemp fiber or drug cultivar ceremonially. That's the old "How dumb were the ancients?" question... or worse lets leave archeologists to define how we are to perceive ancient holy peoples.

The persistence of ceremonial usage among academics is somewhat curious. Archeological digs at the Kunar river in the Pakistani province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa present themselves to the world with the same motivation as an ancient Romanian brazier holding charred seed. Notice the use of the word brazier not censer or thurible. So why be random in the definition of an object, but be direct in identifying spiritual practice?

I do not subscribe to the institutional insistence of coeval arcane shamanic practices, but I do believe there is a logical progression of cannabis and it seems to follow migratory routes. What I mean is the time frames in Pakistan, Romania and China do not support one another if we are following the plant, regardless of how you feel drug cultivars relate to hemp. And before I get yelled at for Vedic examples of drug usage, I would ask one to have an equally open heart about understanding Astika and Nastika e.g., Buddhism is considered to be nastika, but Buddha is considered an avatar of Vishnu in some Hindu traditions. As much as we would like the orthodox and heterodox to be on the same page as regards the Vedas, perpetuating such myth is false.

These theories of spiritual intent within cultures attempt to support the whimsy of academia when Dick the Doctor of Mesopotamian Archeology marvels to his colleague, "Wow these people back then were so smart!" Why place the apple before the cart? Why force the issue of shamanic primacy over usage of fiber for textile? We do see mention of comparative textile studies in these same finds, but ironically those cultural comparisons get buried. Not to mention that the achilles heel (time frames), muddle cannabis finds pre-silk road. So what is it, do we want ancient societies to be high or do we want them to have the wisdom to use hemp or more importantly do we care which they discovered first? Or should we continue to deny spiritual evolution alongside the technological and biological?

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Did they try popping any of the seed yet?

The research team sent samples of the bud (and seeds therein) to GW Pharmaceuticals in the UK. The seeds would not sprout being 2700+ years old, although genetic sequencing of the cannabinoid synthase pathway showed the plant was a Type 1 or THC dominant type. Chemical analysis showed no THC, but it did show minor amounts of the THC breakdown product cannabitriol, aka CBT.

Cannafucius says "He who stands on toilet, is high on pot." And that he can't access the article of said ancient stoner.