What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Can Chinese Butcher Possibly Make $$ Raising Cats ? Unless ...

St. Phatty

OK I been thinking about it.

Having raised cats I know they don't just spring into being. To get 10 pounds of adult male cat you need about 40 pounds of FEED.

And Feed costs money.

Cats are not like pigs and goats. They can't just go foraging around, eating plants, and put on weight.

So where does all the feed come from to feed the cats that Chinese butchers sell ?

How can Chinese butchers make money if they're paying money for cat feed ? If cat feed is as cheap as 10 cents a pound, over the life of the cat it will eat at least $4 worth of chow - if it eats 40 pounds of chow.

Anyway, it just doesn't make sense - unless the butchers get the cat food for free.

So, that's my theory. China being a society with how many billion people ?

I'm thinking maybe the butchers are feeding dead human bodies to the cats. Then the people eat the cats.

Hmmm mmmm Good :biggrin:

I think my calculations on cat feed costs are low.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Cats eat rodents. Ever been to Chinatown? Ever see a rat, there. LOL

So, much like pigs and goats, cats roam [hunt] and graze on rodents. I have a buddy who has a farm and he has several cats who live on his farm and he doesn't feed any of them.

St. Phatty

Cats eat rodents. Ever been to Chinatown? Ever see a rat, there. LOL

So, much like pigs and goats, cats roam [hunt] and graze on rodents. I have a buddy who has a farm and he has several cats who live on his farm and he doesn't feed any of them.

But, how does the Chinese butcher feed the cats ?

Keeps cages full of rats, which he feeds to the cats ?

This is beginning to sound like Dr. Seuss or Jesse Jackson :woohoo:

It's not like the butchers can "free range" the cats in the urban environment that most Chinese people live in. They could set out traps for the adult cats - but cats get awfully smart about traps, especially if they see & hear their buddies get caught in one.

If they raise rats for the cats, what do they feed the rats ?

There's a central agricultural/ animal raising question that goes un-answered. It's not like everybody pools their fingernail clippings and feeds that to the caged rats.

I used to have a "hunting cat" that would do a very thorough job eating the local rodents but recently the rodents have staged a MAJOR comeback, they're like the Patriots or something. They eat the left-over chicken food.

The cat kibble is about $25 for 40 pounds at Walmart, here in the US.

At this point a lot of China is sort of a big concrete city, with factory farms in between the cities. So the Chinese butchers would have to buy bulk cat food.

Badfishy1

OK I been thinking about it.

Having raised cats I know they don't just spring into being. To get 10 pounds of adult male cat you need about 40 pounds of FEED.

And Feed costs money.

Cats are not like pigs and goats. They can't just go foraging around, eating plants, and put on weight.

So where does all the feed come from to feed the cats that Chinese butchers sell ?

How can Chinese butchers make money if they're paying money for cat feed ? If cat feed is as cheap as 10 cents a pound, over the life of the cat it will eat at least $4 worth of chow - if it eats 40 pounds of chow.

Anyway, it just doesn't make sense - unless the butchers get the cat food for free.

So, that's my theory. China being a society with how many billion people ?

I'm thinking maybe the butchers are feeding dead human bodies to the cats. Then the people eat the cats.

Hmmm mmmm Good :biggrin:

I think my calculations on cat feed costs are low.

Damn son... that’s deep... but thanks for breaking the mundane Friday night for such profound thoughts!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
yeah good question - and the Chinese don't just eat cats - they also eat dogs - and just about everything else - dogs ain't cheap to feed - so maybe they just round up strays and eat them?

Anyone for tiger penis soup, with a donkey piss sauce? (Chinese style)

Mick

Veteran
I once got invited to share a meal by a super cute woman in the adjacent rickshaw in a slum in Medan, Sumatra. There was a big plate of curried meat surrounded by many condiments and it was all delicious. I assumed the meat was buffalo but turned out to be black dog. Black dog is a delicacy which is why you see so few of them roaming the streets. So my guess would be that any cats eaten would be street cats. Feeding humans to cats and then feeding the cats back to humans seems a very inefficient system. A more efficient one would be to just feed humans to humans, and there's more humans around these days than you can shake a stick at. So maybe the cat you think you're eating is really human meat. We are supposed to be super delicious, a mixture of pork and chicken. Many millions of people go missing each year.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
If human beings taste like bacon, you fuckers better all look out because I cold clear the face of this planet. I totally love bacon. I often have 1 scrambled egg and the entire 1 pound package of bacon for breakfast.

Don't even take me to a breakfast buffe

It's funny, in this country, we think it's disgusting to eat a rat or a dog. Yet, the super over-processed, soy-based foods that we eat here every day are probably way worse for you than a nice fresh rat. Rat Burger vs the Big Mac...... I wonder.

rolandomota

Veteran
I remember the Olympics in China the Mexican channels showed all kinds of crazy Chinese snacks like caramelized scorpions on a stick wtf? The huge population makes for more desperate bellies hungry to get filled with anything edible and that's why you have all the crazy food.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Funny how we think a scorpion is 'crazy' food but we willingly consume a Big Mac and tell ourselves it's not 'crazy'.

It's a mixed up world.

Gry

Had opportunity to make such an inquiry.
The family was in the food biz, had a meat stall that
sold live butchered, or cooked.

Cvh

Supermod
In my country we eat horse and rabbit too.
When I'm abroad and tell this to people I get a discusted look back.

Pig, cow and little lambs are ok to eat? But not horse and rabbit?
The Chinese thinks this too. Why not? Many cultures even eats bugs.

It's just social/culture programming. In the end it's all just protein.

T

Teddybrae

In my not so HUMBLE opinion: THE BEST CAT IS A DEAD CAT!!!

These furry fuckers have decimated wildlife here in Oz. Between them and the Fox small mammals in Oz will soon be extinct.

They're even a problem in your country, Saint P!

Sorry St P, but all cat lovers should be given a substitute dummy for a comforter after giving up their cats to be euthanased.

Eat Cats? YES!

St. Phatty

It's all conditioning.

I think that to survive conditions of overcrowding, humans need to learn to live on bugs.

But it's important to reach children at a young age. So that they think a Ginger Garlic Turmeric sauteed Cockroach is like we feel about Filet Mignon.