What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

oil extraction - ethanol question

axle2u

hello folks,

is this a good choice for making tasty flavorful extracts of pure bud...??

please review the stats below on this ethanol
and give me your opinion...

Ethanol

Ethanol 95% contains 95% ethyl alcohol, 5% isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and 7 ppm Bitrex (denatonium benzoate). That is it!

(good thing or not a good thing, and why...?) what is the 7 parts per million "Bitrex" about, will this wreck the flavor of extract or enhance it...??

Most ethyl alcohols contain petroleum additives, methanol or methanol-ethyl acetate blends, thus the true ethanol content may be less than 85%. These additives, called denaturants, are extremely toxic and render the ethanol blend as very toxic. Methanol, unlike IPA does not complement the disinfecting properties of ethanol. Absorption through the skin, inhalation or ingestion of this very toxic alcohol blend can cause mild to severe poisoning.
Ethanol 95% offers the same benefits as Isopropyl Alcohol 99%. Both are full strength pure alcohols and can be easily diluted with purified water to the effective disinfecting strength of 70%. Benefits over IPA include a more pleasant odour than the pungent odour of IPA. Ethyl Alcohol is also a slightly better virucide than IPA.
A 70% solution of Ethyl Alcohol 95% kills organisms by denaturing their proteins and dissolving their lipids and is effective against most bacteria, fungi and many viruses, but is ineffective against bacterial spores.
Please read the MSDS for safe handling information.

thank you for your advise,

-axle robot

Andyo

Veteran
bitrex

bitrex

Dilutions of as little as 10 ppm are unbearably bitter to most humans. Denatonium salts are usually colorless and odorless solids but are often traded as solutions. They are used as aversive agents (bitterants) to prevent inappropriate ingestion

axle2u

Dilutions of as little as 10 ppm are unbearably bitter to most humans. Denatonium salts are usually colorless and odorless solids but are often traded as solutions. They are used as aversive agents (bitterants) to prevent inappropriate ingestion

hey thank you eh...

do you think the bitterants at 7 ppm, would wreck the flavor of an extract though....that's all I really need to know at this point

would this ethanol be suitable for making
a tasty resin oil extract or not...??

on anther site, this ethanol for sale is listed as
95% ethanol 5% ISO alcohol, and no mention of 7ppm bitrex
same company, same product...

I guess im trying to determine if I want to use
this or not for extraction.....I found a source that I can work with, reasonably priced too....

is this like a denatured ethanol...? with horrible tastes
or could it be used as a preferred extract alcohol

thanks again

axle robot

axle2u

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/denatonium_benzoate#section=Top

It doesn't boil off, it's a nasty, repulsive crystalline compound, though not especially toxic.

Can't you get get 99% isopropyl alcohol wherever your located?? It should be just iso and water.

yes I can get ISO 99....and I have been using it

however, many posts suggest ethanol....better flavor
better extract...furthermore, its in a lot of different recipes ive encountered

but not sure what it is im looking for other then the
purest I can find...

the original spec sheet I posted is from a local dental supplier company....I was thinking its safe but not sure about the 7ppm bitrex angle of it...95% ethanol 5% ISO alcohol with 7ppm bitrex

thank you..

axle robot

troutman

Seed Whore
Make sure you get rid of the denatonium benzoate via distillation before using that alcohol mixture.

Otherwise, your extract will be very bad tasting. :tiphat:

axle2u

I buy 99% iso. Pure. For about $25/4 litres.

thanks....

where may I ask...?

I get at local variety store....5.49 for 500 ml
some im running at $40 per 4 liters...

you got way better deal....ahaha

hey Bjorn,...
how do you prefer to make your extracts...?
curious...im still learning...ive only 6 small batches under my belt
however I am using pure bud tho....so that's a good start
lol...

thanks again,......:biggrin:

-axle robot

I use iso to recover Cannabinoids from trim and duff.
I press high quality flowers into rosin. Lovely stuff. Low yield but tasty. I made some bubble hash once. Super nice but the yield was soul crushing.

axle2u

I use iso to recover Cannabinoids from trim and duff.
I press high quality flowers into rosin. Lovely stuff. Low yield but tasty. I made some bubble hash once. Super nice but the yield was soul crushing.

thanks,

I hear you there, ive been getting soul crushing yields on the ISO oil ive tried making a few times
(< 5g oil per oz)....a couple times < 2g per ounce...ouch)

that's around a 10:1 ratio, very low yield

I will say this tho, it is nice to make your own stuff, knowing all whats in it, and how it was made and with what....lol

-axle robot

DemonTrich

Veteran
190 proof and 200 proof food grade kosher pure ethanol is easily obtained. 5g min. Sitting on 25g atm of 200 proof

axle2u

check out these pretty little numbers I found on ebay...

the 12L is reasonably priced at approx. $250 CAN.
shipped directly from china...

to me it looks like a very affordable way to rig up a closed loop process for making tasty extracts...
the still would recover the ISO or the ethanol used....food grade ethanol is very expensive I see
about $100 a gallon...

so if I was to run ethanol, I would also want to recover it during the cook stage....

what you think....sure is nice looking stainless...lol

click on attachment for better clarity

-axle robot.....:biggrin:

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 25
  • still.jpg
    still.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 25

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
check out these pretty little numbers I found on ebay...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/\'https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78540&pictureid=1896768\'imgView Imagehttps://www.icmag.com/ic/\'https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78540&pictureid=1896767\'imgView Image

the 12L is reasonably priced at approx. $250 CAN.
shipped directly from china...

to me it looks like a very affordable way to rig up a closed loop process for making tasty extracts...
the still would recover the ISO or the ethanol used....food grade ethanol is very expensive I see
about $100 a gallon...

so if I was to run ethanol, I would also want to recover it during the cook stage....

what you think....sure is nice looking stainless...lol

click on attachment for better clarity

-axle robot.....:biggrin:

The reflux columns look short for 190 proof. Easy to lengthen or build your own using stainless pot scrubbers for packing.

Attachments

• Fractionating Still-1-1.jpg
    Fractionating Still-1-1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Enabler configurations-1-1.jpg
    Enabler configurations-1-1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Ramming column-1-1.jpg
    Ramming column-1-1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 29