What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thrips...few questions

I discovered today that I have thrips.....I think ive had them for my last grow aswell, but they didnt seem to harm the buds at all. Do they feed on buds too, or just leaves??
I'm getting ready to start my flush and have had thripes for at least 5 or 6 weeks of my flowering, i just couldnt see them moving around untill recently.....stupid me.....i thought the black dots on the leaves were just the leaves getting depleted......but now realize ive been playing with there poop.
I've read a bunch of posts on these little F***ers, and get the idea that monteray garden insect spray with spinosad is the best...Does anyone know if this is available in Canada, b/c i dont think i have enough time left to order by mail?? Where do thrips generally come from?? I use a promix HP soil, could they come from this??? I have found lots of info about what to do for next time, just really wanting to know what i can do now. The buds are looking amazing, so im not really sure what these guys are doing, just making the leaves really ugly and sick looking. Any help would be muchly appreciated.....i cant believe ive had them so long and been so blind.

Frozenguy

Veteran
Thrips usually come in from soil mixes or clones..

Products with Spinosad are the best.. I use uncle jacks bad bug brew or something, has spinosad. They are all good and kill thrips/others really well.

So google what products have spinosad, I think there is a wiki just for that.

Cool thanks, hopefully i can find something around here.....whats a wiki??
When spraying this stuff, do i have to be careful not to get it on the buds?? I just started flushing today

Found a wikipedia ad on it....guess thats what a wiki is....thanks for the help

Apparantly you can only buy commercial quantities here, and the cheapest is $600. I found out it is legal here, just nobody sells small amounts. Guess ill have to order it.
Anyone else from canada been able to find anything here that works??

Hackk

I can speak from experience that Monterey Garden is the way to go no matter what! In regards to it being your flush days, I wouldnt worry. They really only feed on the leaves from what I sawy, and avoided the buds because it was too sticky for them.

I dipped my plants while still in veg, and sprayed the surrounding area, and they eventually died...

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
thrips are not like mites where you have to shit your pants. but they do make a yeild dif but it is minimal.
Take care of them by first NEEM OILing in a foliar feed. and then follow the same directions per litre or gallon for a soil drench and thrips gone.
this also works for mites
doing the soil drench works two ways first by killing eggs and second by killing left over thrips who bite plants, neem in soil to leaves kills thrips still alive.
this has worked for years for me.

Thanks alot for all the responses.....I'm definetely going to get on top of it today. All very helpful responses, I want to make sure it doesnt happen again...I guess I had them all over my last widow too, but still managed to get 5 1/4 oz off it, but buds wernt as dense as i would have liked. So I guess if you were to get bugs, it sounds like these guys are one of the better ones to get.

With the neem oil, do you rub it on the leaves or can it be sprayed?? I tend to grow my plants fairly large, so theres tones of leaves, and this could be quite a process.

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Is there a grow store in your area that carries lady bugs? Its a lot of fun to watch lady bugs go to town on thrips, plus they do all the work. At my local garden center, a pack of one thousand costs $11.

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
you could hand rub your mixed solution but to make it easier just foliar spray them with the neem oil, but dont forget to add 1-2 drops of regular dish soap to your mix to act as a wetting agent to ensure complete coverage of the plants.. that should stop em and you could also get some thrip tape and put it in with your plants.......

I called around a bit today, and it seems that in the winter months, nobody carries ladybugs, the only thing I seem to be able to find is the neem oil.....so i guess ill start with that, and order something with some spinosad to have on hand for next time.

FinestKind

thrips are not like mites where you have to shit your pants. but they do make a yeild dif but it is minimal.
Take care of them by first NEEM OILing in a foliar feed. and then follow the same directions per litre or gallon for a soil drench and thrips gone.
doing the soil drench works two ways first by killing eggs and second by killing left over thrips who bite plants, neem in soil to leaves kills thrips still alive.

Does this work for fungus gnats, too? (The soil drench, that is) Because I've got both (thrips and gnats) and would love to kill two birds with one stone.

FK

R

rlmedicals

I second that Enistines neem oil is good stuff and works well, and is 100% organic.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
unfort over the last year i had quite the experience w thrips...im sure many things work..but i will say this..the monterey gardens stuff is the shit! i had tried all the 100% organic solutions for about a year, they would go away for a bit then reappear...trust me, it was so bad i thought the crop would be severely damaged...i just let the ones flowering go, and while my yield wasnt quite what it would have been had the leaves not been so badly damaged, the quality was excellent and pure....two sprays in theveg room w monterey and 4 or 5 watering using it as a drench and they just disappeared...i cant believe that a thrip problem could be worse then what i let mine get too...so i think you should be okay and shouldnt have to worry!

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does this work for fungus gnats, too? (The soil drench, that is) Because I've got both (thrips and gnats) and would love to kill two birds with one stone.

FK

i dont know too much about neem, but all my bros who have used it said it worked well...i can tell you the monterey works w both...havent sprayed my veg room in months, still find dead gnats on the leaves...havent seen a live one since i sprayed...the stuff is the shit....

It definetely sounds like the monteray stuff is the shit....ill have to order some for next batch. A guy at the hydro store today told me that the spinosad is only legal in Canada for greenhouse/comercial use. Not that I care much whether its legal or not, just that it might be a bit harder to get over the border. I think ill give it a shot anyway....anyone ordered any recently, and had it arrive?? If so, from where??

The local shops carry a product called:
Safers- End All Miticide and Insecticide and one called:
Botanics Plant spray- Contains a botanical insecticides derived from the chrysanthemum flower Pyrethrins
States its Safe for use up to 3 days before harvest.
Anybody tried either of these before??
They also carry the neem oil, which I've got very mixed reviews of.:dunno:

FinestKind

Heres a pic of 2 little thrips eating on a leaf.

The little BASTARDS! Familiar sight, unfortunately... I did find the Monterey Garden spray knocked them way back, very quickly, I just think I either reintroduced them to my garden from the outside or missed a few... could have been sloppy application on my part, but it did "work" in the sense that there were none to be found after 2 applications (I dunked them 3x actually, but after the second they were no more.)

Can't believe Spinosad is illegal in Canada. The stuff seems pretty harmless to humans. Maybe they're worried about beneficials? Invasive species? Hmm...

FK