What's new

Any suggestions for my sick little one.

0p0rat0r

picture.php

It's about 3 weeks+ old. Not much light the first week. Originally in soil with no ferts or perlite etc just plain soil. I was watering without ph correcting the spring water, thinking I could get away with it, then I noticed pale leaves on the bottom first with brown edges. Decided to transplant into larger container adding perlite. During the transplant the soil was too damp and sticking together and I damaged some roots. I also checked the ph of the water and it was above 8. Since transplanting I haven't watered much because the soil was a little too moist. I've noticed the leaves have perked up but the browning is getting worse. I'm thinking it was either my high ph that did this and or the damp soil. Should I flush with ph corrected water?

picture.php

irieeyes808

Well sounds like you are on the right track, as long as the phis right maybe some mild nutes as not to shock it or anything.

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
damp soil is never good ...you realy need to dry 'm as much as possible...
you should adjust your water volume with the growth of the plant....25 ml ....50 ml....100ml 250ml...0.5 L and so on....

Nhow i strongly recommend that you ph your water every time....surtenly if you don't have it dialed in as we say...if you used nutrient free soil or a light soil you started good.
but the brand of the soil would be good info though...
i would NOT flush the soil coz its already damp....just give ph'd water from now on...the transplant should perk'm up in no time

0p0rat0r

Hi Core, I'm using a Canadian brand top soil called black earth made from loam and humus. I've sprayed them lightly a couple times with ph'ed water and a bit light dose of ferts mostly I've been letting the soil dry out. The mix is very light and airy now with the added perlite. I'm using dutch nutrient formula for seedlings and cuttings. I'll take another picture in a bit. My plant looks terrible it doesn't look like its grown much at all in the past week+ and the lower leaves are pretty much crispy and necrotic and the tips of some of the newer leaves are brown.

Now I'm noticing my other plants leaves are getting pale and the tips on one of them is turning brownish going necrotic on me. They are in pure soil no perlite in containers with no drainage but I've been very careful watering them. I'm going to transplant them all larger containers with perlite. I'm not sure why these ones would be losing colour and turning brown. Can under watering cause that too? I'm hoping they just need some feeding but that wouldn't cause brown tips and necrotic leaves from being underfed could it?

L

lysol

Problems with Boron Being Locked out by PH troubles

Soil ph under 5.5 or over 6.8, sandy soil, soil with low organic matter and or lack of nitrogen.

0p0rat0r

Problem solved. I ph corrected the water from above 8 to about 6.5 and cut back the watering. I think the roots couldn't breathe because the soil was too damp combined with high ph. I'm finally seeing new growth again. Thanks for the help.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Couple issues there:

1. Ph way too high - you are on the right track there

2. Overwater/lack of nutes causing N def and the lower yellow leaves

3. Don't transplant to a bigger pot. The soil will stay to sogged and affect your plant, plus the plant does not grow a good dense rootball this way. Start in small pots and transplant when they get rootbound, but only go next size up.

4. You are gonna see damage from the sudden and devastating ph swing from 8 to 6.5. You should have slowly brought it down in small increments over many days. That's about 15 X more acidic than it was.

you are on the correct path, keep that ph stable and consistent and keep the nutes light.

0p0rat0r

Thanks for the tips HeadyPete. Luckily I didn't notice any damage from the ph swing but I'll keep that in mind for next time. It's definitely growing nicely again. I'm hoping for some rapid growth now.

Do roots continue to grow even when the canopy is stunted? I ask because the size of my stunted and oldest plant isn't much bigger than my other plants which are maybe 2 weeks behind but I noticed during the transplant the oldest plant did have significantly more developed roots.

Latest posts

Latest posts