What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why is it, that there are so many first post handles here ?

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I've noticed, that there are a lot of ICmag members who register another handle to post their questions in the infirmary, instead of using their regular member handle.

WTF ? :cuss:

Why are people afraid others will know they're having plants troubles ? :wallbash:

Some even seem to be playing stupid games and wasting the time of other members who are willing to offer advice to their threads. :dueling:

Please people, it's against icmags TOU to register spare phoney handles...
So knock it off or the icmag staff is going to have to break out a can of whoop ass on ya's ! :angrymod:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Yup 10k I read a thread few months back... the guy said his plant had heat issues and the leaves were straight up in the air, but you could tell that was a lie as it looked like gravity was pulling the leaves down, because the plant was upside down and then they took pictures.....

I think some has to do with being scared of others would think of them differently like you said 10k. They don't want others to think that if they hit a bump in the road, that they might think that person does not know how to grow very well........

I know some people on here who stopped helping, because of this problem.... there is more and more posts of BS on here asking for helping and wasting peoples time.... cause I know my time is valuable and I have much better things to do rather than playing along with a troll........

love?

Hehe well if people are too embarrassed to ask with their own user names maybe some kind of anonymous posting feature should be coded to the infirmary section? Not anonymous to the mods to prevent trolling of course but to everyone else. Then these guys wouldn't need to sign up with fake user names.

Asking help for "phoney" problems it wouldn't help with but surely that can't be a huge problem anyway?

greenhead

Veteran
Isn't it against the rules to have multiple accounts?

You should out those people just as if they were gay politicians.
:joint::wave:

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
i would hate to think people are doing this....i pop on hear everyday to see IF i can help some1 out,,i dont know everything about sick plants but there is something inside me that say you MUST TRY to help out other fellow grower:crazy:....

Who are these people (not wanting names) are thay so called good growers that really dont know shit and have been cought out ?..

stitch i remember that thread your talking about

keep it green
highlander

Standaman

^^^^ What Highlander said!!

I don't understand why that would happen? Are they ashamed of asking for help?
Me for one i love asking questions it beats reading books and watching Dvd's.

No matter what happens when i start mine i will ask questions! Getting answers sometimes don't happen but that's just life in general.

Like you guys say they shouldn't waste people's time with BS questions.
It's just not a winner in my eye's as it makes people less enthusiastic to help genuine people who want help

SuperConductor

Veteran
Are you sure? Don't you think it could be some people only use these sites to ask about a problem and once they got the answer never use it again. Or do you log IPs?

U

ureapwhatusow

see ever since these trolls

TROLL-BANK-ALL.jpg

started watching MTV

icelfi1104_468x762.jpg

having babies and going on the web you get a new generations worst contribution to the internet world

i-TROLLs

250px-Gollum-chav2.jpg

Some people like different levels of privacy and some people just don't want to look like asses or noobs. Hiding is pointless, moderators can easily find you if they desire.....

If I remember correctly..... users with certain rights in vBulletin software can easily see IP Addresses for every single post\user just as easy as a regular user can hover over the "reputation" icon on every post. It's a default feature, and its that simple.

The owner/administrator chooses the user ranks or levels to grant this permission too. So he could, for example, make all users with moderator or higher status able to utilize this feature. I also remember with a bit of modification it is also quite easy to have the same feature report the specific user names of any other accounts that share that posters IP address. Needless to say, you're not hiding or fooling anyone.

There are also modifications or settings if I recall that prohibits a user, based on IP, from registering multiple accounts. This however may do little to prevent those without static hosts from abusing the system but every little bit helps.

Personally I don't see why someone would have to create another name in order to admit to having a question or problem they may feel foolish about..... It's like a kid afraid to raise his hand in class. What are you going to do? Go home, put on a costume, then go ask your teachers? Yeah...... It's silly. :)

highgradeseeds

Hey man if this was in reference to my thread about my drooping seedlings...element22 is my buddies handle, he let me use it when I didnt have my own. Honest mistake

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
^^^^ What Highlander said!!

I don't understand why that would happen? Are they ashamed of asking for help?
Me for one i love asking questions it beats reading books and watching Dvd's.

No matter what happens when i start mine i will ask questions! Getting answers sometimes don't happen but that's just life in general.

Like you guys say they shouldn't waste people's time with BS questions.
It's just not a winner in my eye's as it makes people less enthusiastic to help genuine people who want help

Standman, that is not what 10k is talking about asking bs questions, what he is talking about, if you are around here a lot.......people are making fake threads of problems that are not exsiting in there garden, they have photoshopped stuff once in a while, not to mention they either make a thread and don't come back, or come back with some BS or they just leave people hanging when trying to answer there questions when we ask and so forth......

10k is not talking about people asking stupid questions...... it's the questions that are bullshit non exsistant problems in there garden, but making them up to waste others time and think it's funny.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Standman, that is not what 10k is talking about asking bs questions, what he is talking about, if you are around here a lot.......people are making fake threads of problems that are not exsiting in there garden, they have photoshopped stuff once in a while, not to mention they either make a thread and don't come back, or come back with some BS or they just leave people hanging when trying to answer there questions when we ask and so forth......

10k is not talking about people asking stupid questions...... it's the questions that are bullshit non exsistant problems in there garden, but making them up to waste others time and think it's funny.

I thought he was trying to call people out.
Like saying they are making extra accounts to ask newbie questions, so there main accounts have some reputable status.

gio77

I'm new here, but want to ask an ignorant question... why are people posting "fake" problems? I get the whole self-conscious thing & hiding their "other" identity, but what is the motivation to photoshop a fake problem, or hang a plant upside down & photo it? I don't get that, or why so many people would be doing it that it has become a problem. Again, I'm brand spanking new, so... sorry.

Just wanted to share that basically any (all) websites/server hosts log ip addresses. Every isp in the US logs your traffic. I don't think a single isp would deny an information request by any governmental agency... without any warrant mind you. Unless you anonymize & encrypt your internet activity (vpn w multiple nodes & secure server protocol), you leave traces all over everything you do. Anyone that wants to trace you to your physical address can. You guys can check this, but its true. Best & be safe.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
I've killed plants...they get sick, sometimes it's my fault. Nobody should be afraid to get help...that's what this site is for, right?

Mr. B does all the research here...he's not afraid to ask a "dumb" question....he wants to smoke the best.

Latest posts

Latest posts