What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Had this for years. What the fuck is it?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Had this for long time, have asked lots of people, nobody knows what it is.

Found in box of stuff that was bought from an estate sale.

Have had lot of guesses of what one of the coponents is. I'll wait to see what y'all say before I taint your opinions.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Has a Mitsubishi logo on one the parts.
picture.php

took it to show someone the other day and forgot to take it out of my pocket and it went through wash machine and dryer. That's why the front is frosted.

More pics of it in my album

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=79084

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
As you can see it has a suction cup that was molded to fit it like a glove.
It's hard acrylic like plastic. Yellowed over the years.

Malato

Looks like a DEA bug,, good thing you washed it...

Lol JK idk what the hell that is looks kinda like some crazy bug but I have no knowledge of that type of stuff.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Looks like a DEA bug,, good thing you washed it...

Lol JK idk what the hell that is looks kinda like some crazy bug but I have no knowledge of that type of stuff.

I don't think the wash and dry did harm to it. The components are actually set in the plastic. I don't even understand how any those parts would work after being soaked, but I guess it just acts like insulation.

igrowone

Veteran
interesting artefact
looks like a couple of electrical resistors, and the green thingy, not sure what that is
simple appearing circuit, the electrical connector is odd looking, but there are many possibilities for a connector

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's a 4700 ohm resistor, a capacitor I can't read, a coil on top, looks like a diode (orange thing), a transistor (silver object with Mitsubishi symbol)...

I don't see an amplifier in it anywhere, which leads me to believe it is not a transmitter.

Unless the modulator is remote and that's what the connector is for... And what you have there is the actual antenna. Even then, it looks to me like it's missing a couple resistors and capacitors to be a transmitting antenna.

It could however be a receiver, and your missing the amplifier portion that would house a power source and possibly a speaker.

Or I could be completely wrong and it's part of a nuclear trigger.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
That's a 4700 ohm resistor, a capacitor I can't read, a coil on top, looks like a diode (orange thing), a transistor (silver object with Mitsubishi symbol)...

I don't see an amplifier in it anywhere, which leads me to believe it is not a transmitter.

Unless the modulator is remote and that's what the connector is for... And what you have there is the actual antenna. Even then, it looks to me like it's missing a couple resistors and capacitors to be a transmitting antenna.

It could however be a receiver, and your missing the amplifier portion that would house a power source and possibly a speaker.

Or I could be completely wrong and it's part of a nuclear trigger.

Im not sure that thing is a connector. Ive tried to stick a needle in there and it doesn't go far at all. Buddy said maybe tip of something like headphones broke off in there but couldn't seem to pry anything out.
Maybe instead of it being a connector it's an light sensor eye?

Maybe it really is nuclear trigger.

If it was listening device I would have been put in padded room by now. I've picked it up and told it disgusting things over the years. Especially after someone says it's a bug.

igrowone

Veteran
almost looks like an art work, though the art part seems pretty weak
single transistor could be a simple amplifier for example
but as a usable electronic module? construction looks a little weird for anything functionally useful

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
almost looks like an art work, though the art part seems pretty weak
single transistor could be a simple amplifier for example
but as a usable electronic module? construction looks a little weird for anything functionally useful

I've thought the art thing. Maybe it doesn't do anything it was just made as art to get people to ask what it is.

Then again the specially molded square band on suction cup looks like it was made for specific purpose.

One day someone will tell me it's purpose

igrowone

Veteran
I've thought the art thing. Maybe it doesn't do anything it was just made as art to get people to ask what it is.

Then again the specially molded square band on suction cup looks like it was made for specific purpose.

One day someone will tell me it's purpose

yeah, the suction cup doesn't do much for a visual effect, makes it look like a 'working' bit of gear
but a strange setup, hard to picture what it was part of, if it was part of anything

igrowone

Veteran

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
And people say potheads are dumb...
I figured it was a sensor of some type and poked at searches for about 3 minutes. Came back later and did a search for 'similar' images.

Bang! :D

Yeah, I find a lot of times I get better results by letting something stew for a little bit. More often than not, I come up with a quick and simple way to solve my issue. ;)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I figured it was a sensor of some type and poked at searches for about 3 minutes. Came back later and did a search for 'similar' images.

Bang! :D

Yeah, I find a lot of times I get better results by letting something stew for a little bit. More often than not, I come up with a quick and simple way to solve my issue. ;)

Damn d.c.,. You are the man. Can't believe you did that so fast. Thank you so much.
I had been told before that the black circle was a photovoltaic sensor. But also heard it was a microphone, an antenna, and even a miniature satellite dish!

Thank you Douglas!