What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do u store your seeds in a fridge??

Hubbleman

Veteran
Was wondering for example I defrost the fridge then turn it on again, temp will wobble... seeds will be ok??

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
The refrigerator seems to be a reliable storage space for seeds if grown organic they can be stored for like 20+ years

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The wobble is nothing like being rained on. They can take it.

I must say, I'm quick to get them back in the fridge when they come out. To minimise the situation. I pick the coolest part of the hose to. And acclimatise the seeds before putting them in any substrate. Pointless as it is.

I have had some in the cupboard 4 years, and they have a 50% germ rate now. That cupboard has been in a couple of houses and storage. Seeds are just in paper wraps.

In the fridge I have packs in a sealy bag, with dried rice. I want to catch condensation. I wonder if I'm just drying the beans out prematurely though.

Fridge though.. yeah. That's how it's done.

Dankwolf

Fidge is the best way I have found .

Fidge is the best way I have found .

I have some seeds that are 5% viable after 35 plus years .

I have my seeds in a tray with containers that I picked up at a hobby lobby for $10 that works great . each container holds about 75 seeds with some rice to keep humidity in check

picture.php

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
In les parfait glass locking jars with silica pads in, in a fridge.. still getting 90+% on 10+ year old seeds..

positivity

Veteran
I started with the fridge and slowly integrated the freezer as I tested it and seeds germed well. Freeze everything now with some sort of desiccant....rice or silica packs

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
How cold is your freezer? Vegetable matter is generally destroyed right away, because of ice crystals I think.

edit: actually pot seeds survive over winter in russia, as do many seeds. I just wouldn't of dared try, after seeing most things go to mush

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I use a thermos, inside fridge or freezer. Seeds I keep in the fridge for less than 10 year storage, pollen and long term storage are sealed in a thermos in the freezer.

This provides thermal protection from opening and closing. I strongly recommend getting ice/dry-ice to keep the ones from your freezer frozen during power outages or defrosting.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Ive got seeds in the fridge. Some have been in there for 10+ years and most still germinate.
I use mason jars to hold packets of seed in acid-free paper envelopes inside zip-locks.
Never had a problem with the occasional warming of seeds due to fridge failure or just taking them out to sort through them.
One thing I do is let the jar reach room temperature before I open it in order to avoid condensation.
Also. Make sure you use the correct desiccant.
Some desiccant can release a formaldahyde gas.

i also keep seeds in fridge(in the crisper) in plastic bags inside mason jars with desiccant.

I just germinated a few older seeds and got 100%. these were 9-10 years old and were in 8-9 different fridges with many, many power outages including up to 4 days no power.
and i drove them roughly 4000 miles around the country through 10+ states.

I have been wanting to use the freezer for longer storage too. but so far fridge works great for under 10 years old.

Som 2

I keep my seeds in the freezer and have been doing so since I started growing in the late '80s. I have a bunch of seeds I made between 1989 and 1995 and am still getting 80% germination on them. The only thing special that I did for them was I let them dry out for several months before I froze them. I keep them in zip lock baggies. At one point the thermostat on my freezer was going and my seeds probably thawed out and refroze 50 time in a three month period. That didn't seem to have any negative impact.

Cannabis evolved on the Asian steppe so it shouldn't be surprising that the seeds are well adapted to the freeze and thaw cycle. I think that people who have bad experiences with freezing seeds are probably living in a humid environment or aren't letting their seeds dry long enough.

doams

light and temperature changes hurt seeds the most

constant temps are important during storage.

room temps are fine for few years storage still getting nearly 100 percent germ rates @room temp/dark quiet place in plastic bags inside metal airtight container.

think they recommend storing the seeds @6C/42.8F in fridge if you want em all to sprout after 3y..