What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with my room - tiny grow under 600w hps

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Any suggestions appreciated.
Right now my current setup:
Converted a closet in a bedroom into two sides one for bloom and split the other chamber so I have two small veg chambers one on top the other.

Bloom chamber - 2.5' x 3.5' x 7' tall.
Phat filter almost touching ceiling attached to 6" duct running to air cooled 600W hps cheapo vivosun bulb and xtrasun Digital ballast is outside the door of chamber.
6" duct the runs out wall into a 6" 420 cfm fantech sealed steel casing inline fan and blows heat down through the floor to a vent in ceiling of room below.
Passive intake through 5" x 13" vent, as well as a 4" round hole and thru gaps around door.
Bedroom has window screen pumping in summer and heat from floor below in winter.
In winter
Lights off- 67-72f and 30-40%rh
Lights on- 78-82f and 25-40ish%rh
In summer
Lights off- 72-76f
Lights on- 78-88f

I'm thinking this is probably overkill on fan, and it's loud. Especially loud downstairs where air exits.

Anybody in 600hps is small spaces?
It works:
picture.php

I'm thinking of switching to a 315 LEC/CMH. It would be less heat but also wouldn't be aircooled.
I've heard some say that CMH works better when slammed to ceiling. But is that true when using only one light and not an overlapping paternity?

I have been wanting to put carbon filter in the bedroom instead of inside chamber, but then I need another fan.

Also was thinking of reversing flow so the chamber has positive pressure so mites and such would have hard time getting in.

What size cfm fan would be best?
To exhaust 600?
To exhaust 315? Same fan for either?
Would LOVE a quiet fan with built in speed control. (I have cheap router speed control that whines when not full speed and wears excessively on fan life)

I also need to exhaust the heat in the veg when summer rolls back around.

I could get a "y" splitter and use one fan for both veg and bloom, but they would pretty much run 24/7, which sometimes is needed do to humidity spike when lights go off.

To do any of that I would have to get some dust shrooms or other filter.

Please help me get my environment right. I know I'm rambling with questions but the options and combinations are endless.

Later on I'm going to get a tent, with a 315 and get a flip box so I can bloom both rooms on opposite schedules from same ballast.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I can't see why a 315w would function better against a ceiling. It sounds absurd.

You could move your filter out the tent without a second fan. You just need to encase it.

That's the only pic I have to hand, but any box will do. You don't have to make one. Though don't use cardboard unless you have fan power to waste on flexing it.

Your passive inlet not exhaust a small grow area?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You could get away with a CMH in there, and drop the fan size to a 4." Keep the 6" ducting as it will soften the airflow noise of the 4" fan.

With your space, the key to yields will be canopy management. The light will have an optimal light density area where you're growing dense flowers. Not rock hard, and not fluffy, but medium dense and easy to break up flowers. Work to train all your future flower sites into this optimal area. :)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I can't see why a 315w would function better against a ceiling. It sounds absurd.

You could move your filter out the tent without a second fan. You just need to encase it.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78998&pictureid=1912008&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
That's the only pic I have to hand, but any box will do. You don't have to make one. Though don't use cardboard unless you have fan power to waste on flexing it.

Your passive inlet not exhaust a small grow area?

I'm not sure about CMH distance other than to create overlapping areas.
My 600 is on ratcheting cargo straps. I like being able to move it with the growth.

So that pic is of a middle of the line filter? Mine only one flange.

When I was thinking about moving the carbon filter out of the bloom room and into bedroom, I thought maybe this would deal with odor better since it be in effect scrubbing veg air also, since both veg's and bloom change air with bedroom.

Didn't quite understand last question. Air is sucked into my grow thru vents in walls by floor and sucked thru the carbon filter on ceiling. Then fan. I'll try to get pics

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Here's top of inside grow chamber

picture.php

Here's outside chamber showing one of the vents, and fan inline with ducting that sends heat from chamber to floor below.
picture.php

insomniac_AU

Gday CR! That looks like a sweet little setup. I use a 4x4 tent so I'm not that different from you. I thought I'd just share some personal experience. This may not work in your setup but just what I have observed.
I used to use a cool tube in my tent to cool my 600W HPS with the same ducting you're using but I stopped a while back. I had 2 different occasions when the ducting split and failed between the extraction fan and the scrubber leaving an undesirable situation of an enclosed uncooled globe and/or no air being removed from the chamber. Having the fan remote to the scrubber caused the duct to oscillate slightly which eventually makes it fail. Adding a cool tube and extra length just made things worse.

I changed back to a normal uncooled shade and just increased airflow to control temps. Having the scrubber directly attached to the fan reduces restriction and air flow is greater. There is also no chance of a loss of extraction from the chamber from a duct failure.

As I said this may not work in your situation but something to keep in mind. Good luck with it. :tiphat:

Last edited:

EcoNepenthe

Consider LEDs

Consider LEDs

Greetings:
Nice pics. Great looking plants.
If you have the funds, consider LEDs. Would solve any heat issues.
Save $ on electricity. Superb quality and quantity.
Pics of plants grown under 400 watts Cree COBs, 3'x3' area.
Links to a few ideas:
https://www.rapidled.com/cxb3590-2-x-2-grow-fixture/
https://timbergrowlights.com/model-4vs/
https://timbergrowlights.com/300-watt-vero29-v7-3-cob-grow-light-kit/
https://www.rapidled.com/chilled-logic-3-x-3-led-grow-kit/

Just a thought.

Stay safe!!!
Success w/ya grow!!! :canabis:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Gday CR! That looks like a sweet little setup. I use a 4x4 tent so I'm not that different from you. I thought I'd just share some personal experience. This may not work in your setup but just what I have observed.
I used to use a cool tube in my tent to cool my 600W HPS with the same ducting you're using but I stopped a while back. I had 2 different occasions when the ducting split and failed between the extraction fan and the scrubber leaving an undesirable situation of an enclosed uncooled globe and/or no air being removed from the chamber. Having the fan remote to the scrubber caused the duct to oscillate slightly which eventually makes it fail. Adding a cool tube and extra length just made things worse.

I changed back to a normal uncooled shade and just increased airflow to control temps. Having the scrubber directly attached to the fan reduces restriction and air flow is greater. There is also no chance of a loss of extraction from the chamber from a duct failure.

As I said this may not work in your situation but something to keep in mind. Good luck with it. :tiphat:

Yes I've had a few splits in duct too.

The biggest problem I had was I bought a cheapo carbon filter. Had it connected same way except I was exhausting air directly up my chimney. (My closet just happened to have a 6" stove pipe hole)

It worked great for a few months, then one day I get home from work and my whole little "town" smelt like dank.

Now I exhaust to the room below my grow. Helps add heat to downstairs, and when my good filter fails- I'll smell it inside and have time to fix it before everybody learns why I stay inside my house all the time.

Latest posts

Latest posts