What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bovedas 62% giving weird taste to my weed

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
2 days ago I removed a boveda 62% pack from the jar and when I open a jar now with each day I notice the smells are coming back. Also when I open the jar I am getting that dank smell again.

WTF does this mean? Why do they smell so little with boveda in there and who do the smells come through after just 2 days without boveda?

I am just trying to understand the science behind all of this.

Could it maybe be that the perfect atmosphere the boveda's create stops terpene evaporation? And that without the boveda's more terpenes evaporate, causing the danker smell? Just guessing here.....

^EXACTLY!!!

DHF knows his shit, this should help THC123, glad to hear smell is coming back to normal. :woohoo:

Us old heads were the forerunners of 62% final storage RH loooooong before anyone ever heard of the boveda thingies , but it`s the same principle from the same cigar/humidor industry.....and yeah....

62% is top end of the scale since mold and mildews can form on product any higher in percentage , but the lower % discs are said to help give better flavor and smell in the end but I have no experience with em ....and....

After bovedas , it`s so simple to keep product at optimum storage , but remember the 3 enemies of pot.....

Heat , light , and air.......

Always kept my headies in the deep freeze in suspended animation once dried and cured properly.....anyways...

Good luck with the rest bro....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

Boveda has even come out with the 50% discs compared to the optimum 62% for the more personal stash terpene oriented folks....anyways....

My 2 centavos from 40 + yrs of doin this outside and in....

Peace.....DHF....:ying:.....

I can testify from the school of hard knocks over close to 15 yrs outside and another 20 +/- inside before retirement that the EASIEST way to store properly dried and cured dope is to freeze it and put it in suspended animation....got condensation in the bags ?....

Just remove product from said condensating bag and acclimate to ambient room temps and all`s good....problem solved....now....Since pot`s best stored at a constant 62% relative humidity like Cigar Humidors are designed for properly dried , cured tobacco products , the Boveda packs have become popular in the last several yrs to prevent moisture loss during storage in normal ambient temp conditions.....but.....

Depending on ambient room temps product is stored at , after 6 months or less , even in sealed containers , chlorophyll degradation will occur and green dope turns into brown dope signifying "old dope" , so if yas wanna keep shit indefinitely ….. freeze it …..if it needs to dry out more after thawed out , let it....guaranteed it`ll be identical to what was put in though ….bet on it.....

........anyways......my 2 cents from all those yrs.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:

THC123

Veteran
Nice to hear I am not the only one who freezes their weed :)

I have even found the weed to become better smelling and tasting once stored for a long time in the freezer. I think because there is no degradation and it is packed in its own smell which keeps building up, even in suspended animation.

I never have to dry my weed when it comes out of the freezer. It always is nice, sticky and smelly.

I am gonna try those 50% packs.

insomniac_AU

I've used Boveda 62s for all of this year and I have to say I'm pretty happy with them. I find 62% a little high in moisture content for pipes but this allows some room for drying the small amount I take out at a time. Once I've opened the bag a couple of times the moisture content is perfect. No issues with strange taste.
You guys who freeze your weed. Do you "thaw" it before you open the bag/jar? I would be worried about condensation forming if it's below the dew point of the air.

THC123

Veteran
You just leave it in its pack to get to room temp, I take em out a few hours to 24 hours beforehand. Never open a pack when it just comes out. I have never had condensation.

Drewsif

Most growers these days have a flexible reality. Placebo effect rules their daily lives, not reality. Broveda ruins flavor and it's very obvious to real humans with a firm reality.

I see the junk recommended so much, like, damn how can you think it's an improvement or remotely necessary.. Does anyone understand dank anymore? In my experience it turned a delicious UK Cheese into some tasteless vinegary smelling airy poop overnight.

I thought it was just dispensaries growing bullshit these days but looking online it seems everyone has lost the concept of loud sticky delicious dank. Moisture content for a slow burn has become more important than resin content.

Same people who keep their bud with broveda packs use Terpenez for that fake e-cig scent and call it an improvement rather than a ruined tainted harvest. Really shows what kind of garbage they are growing.

Sorry but your growing some really bad product if you use Broveda. Probably hydroponic and pretending moisture content is resin content. They even sell these stupid moisture packs at dispensaries now and people claim it turns dry tasteless unflushed crumble weed into loud sticky dank. Flexible reality of placebo people. Pretty scary honestly. Its ruined quality standards in the southwest.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

I thought it was just dispensaries growing bullshit these days but looking online it seems everyone has lost the concept of loud sticky delicious dank. Moisture content for a slow burn has become more important than resin content.

Wow. Does that mean my bud got dry because it's junk? Glad I didn't mention I've rehydrated bud with an orange peel, and once in my sauna (worked great btw).

G

Most growers these days have a flexible reality. Placebo effect rules their daily lives, not reality. Broveda ruins flavor and it's very obvious to real humans with a firm reality.

I see the junk recommended so much, like, damn how can you think it's an improvement or remotely necessary.. Does anyone understand dank anymore? In my experience it turned a delicious UK Cheese into some tasteless vinegary smelling airy poop overnight.

Same people who keep their bud with broveda packs use Terpenez for that fake e-cig scent and call it an improvement rather than a ruined tainted harvest. Really shows what kind of garbage they are growing.

Sorry but your growing some really bad product if you use Broveda. Probably hydroponic and pretending moisture content is resin content. They even sell these stupid moisture packs at dispensaries now and people claim it turns dry tasteless unflushed crumble weed into loud sticky dank. Flexible reality of placebo people. Pretty scary honestly. Its ruined quality standards in the southwest.
Frito has an account here. Did you finally find the time mashine?

THC123

Veteran
In my experience it makes the weed real smooth but indeed a weird sour taste and soulless. But smooth but up to now I also feels it ruins the flavor. I love the concept but I am not convinced with the results they give me. I have been growing since I was 18 and I know good weed and bovedas haven't given me good weed in side by sides

insomniac_AU

There are so many errors in this BS statement I won't even waste my time responding.

Bovedas save my ass when i forget to calibrate my drying room proper,

Ive had the same theory that it must be the "perfect" rha that makes the buds not wanna give off much smell, / when bovedas are removed jar goes loud, but that only mean your "losing" that loud your smelling in that very moment,

Only issue ive ever had with bovedas was a bag of small boveda 62% i got, they were individually sealed in small plastic bags, and it seems the machine that was used for sealing these plastic bags had accidently broken the seal on a single boveda,

Which resulted in the fluid inside the boveda to leak out onto the other bovedas,

So how careful do we need to be with this fluid? Im guessing its not toxic or anything,

i wouldnt want it smeared onto the surface of my buds tho, so i trashed that entire batch of 62's because it seems that the fluid had spread to the plastic sealing of the others,

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Its a mix of salts that wants to be at a particular RH depending on the mix they use.. pretty none toxic but would probably give you diahorrea if you drank it and yeah would make buds taste nasty i suspect..

Imaperson

Imo it's not that it get a bad taste,,, it's just kinda bland,,,,,,a few dispensarys we went to used em for all they buds,,,,,and they all smelled the same
I call it the boveda smell

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Imo it's not that it get a bad taste,,, it's just kinda bland,,,,,,a few dispensarys we went to used em for all they buds,,,,,and they all smelled the same
I call it the boveda smell
Your mileage might have varied if, a blind test was conducted :tiphat:

Hydro8

I have been using Bovedas and have not noticed any taste or smell problem. To convince me that there is an "weird taste" someone needs to track down a chemical that is getting released from the packs as they hydrate the surrounding material.

A large percentage of Bovedas packs are being sold to cigar aficionados many who are very particular of the finer aspects of taste. I would think that people paying $20.-$100.+ each for cigars would start noticing a weird taste pretty qwick.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have been using Bovedas and have not noticed any taste or smell problem. To convince me that there is an "weird taste" someone needs to track down a chemical that is getting released from the packs as they hydrate the surrounding material.

A large percentage of Bovedas packs are being sold to cigar aficionados many who are very particular of the finer aspects of taste. I would think that people paying $20.-$100.+ each for cigars would start noticing a weird taste pretty qwick.
Yup!

dufous

Sour or vinegary taste may be bacterial spoilage, just like food going bad. Too much moisture. I used to think it was the boveda packs, but it was really my own incompetence. I stopped using boveda packs when I finally figured out how to properly dry and cure my weed.

Agree on that, I use them for rehydrating bud if it gets too dry for rosin,
However if i take good care in the drying process i can do without them ofc.

Seems logic that if terpenes are kept at optimal humidity and temp, they will evaporate less, which is what you experience when you pop a lid with boveda(s?) inside,

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Sour or vinegary taste may be bacterial spoilage, just like food going bad. Too much moisture. I used to think it was the boveda packs, but it was really my own incompetence. I stopped using boveda packs when I finally figured out how to properly dry and cure my weed.
IMO, Boveda is not meant to do our job of properly drying and curing. Boveda is at it's best when used for long term storage of properly dried and cured bud. Same as the way cigar aficionados use it.

Latest posts

Latest posts