What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydroponics vs Aeroponics whos switched?

S

sativaking

Hi all new to the Hydro forum usually hang out in Organic. Just wondering if anyone has switched from Hydro to Aero and for what reasons. Might be an overly general question. But im wondering if you got better yields from Aero. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again :tiphat:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's too general a question

Aero can be, but many do not know how to incorporate it

S

sativaking

No worries if anyone hasnt Im deciding between Aero and Fogponics. I know both are similar. Feel free to share stories if you have any or have any links to threads please feel free.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've been running DWC for 15+ years, along with other various methods of hydro. Every time I think about aero, I'm unable to get past the increased number of failure points in the system.

DWC is air pumps, air stones and nutrient in a tub. E&F is more complicated with a pump and media, but that's it. Aero has a 24/7 pump (Which without a backup pump is a rather quick death if it fails), multiple nutrient lines, spray nozzles, mounting points for said nozzles, filters to keep the nutrient clean and the sprayers un-clogged, and on and on.

I just don't see the added complexity/$$$ being a trade off for a tiny bit more yield. Yeah?

S

sativaking

I've been running DWC for 15+ years, along with other various methods of hydro. Every time I think about aero, I'm unable to get past the increased number of failure points in the system.

DWC is air pumps, air stones and nutrient in a tub. E&F is more complicated with a pump and media, but that's it. Aero has a 24/7 pump (Which without a backup pump is a rather quick death if it fails), multiple nutrient lines, spray nozzles, mounting points for said nozzles, filters to keep the nutrient clean and the sprayers un-clogged, and on and on.

I just don't see the added complexity/$$$ being a trade off for a tiny bit more yield. Yeah?

Thats a huge help man thanks for your reply. In the beginning how often did you deal with root rot?

Hydro8

Hydro-RDWC is easy, basic and much less to go wrong then aeroponics.

With aeroponics you have to spray the roots every 15-60 mins failure to do so(clugged hose, pump goes out, electric goes out,) the roots will dry out and everything is lost in a few hours. With RDWC if the system goes out for a day or two everything will still survive.

As far as root rot in DWC I have only got it with small plants usually when I first get a clone, probably from some of the soil on the roots of the new plant. I trim the infected roots away and the new ones always came back strong and white. Once plants take to the DWC system they are super strong.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hydro-RDWC is easy, basic and much less to go wrong then aeroponics.

With aeroponics you have to spray the roots every 15-60 mins failure to do so(clugged hose, pump goes out, electric goes out,) the roots will dry out and everything is lost in a few hours. With RDWC if the system goes out for a day or two everything will still survive.

As far as root rot in DWC I have only got it with small plants usually when I first get a clone, probably from some of the soil on the roots of the new plant. I trim the infected roots away and the new ones always came back strong and white. Once plants take to the DWC system they are super strong.

Electrically, all that's needed is a decent low pressure aero pump and a deep cycle timer. I have used the same timer for 5+ years without fail and pumps are similarly hardy

I mostly solved clogged heads by wrapping the pump with a nylon sock, but next grow I will start with HPA as I already have everything including an outboard filter

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thats a huge help man thanks for your reply. In the beginning how often did you deal with root rot?
Root rot and DWC/SWC/RDWC is most often caused by insufficient O2 or too high of a nutrient solution temp.

I've dealt with root rot nearly every time I've let my environment get out of whack. I prefer 69F for my nutrient solution and a lot of air bubbles. :)

S

sativaking

15-60 mins :biggrin:

Whats your experience with roots being dried out moist but not dry is fine but completely dry completely bad? Have you ever tried fogponics where the roots are constantly moist?

I have been running low pressure aeroponics for almost a year now. It's great for cloning or sog grows. Low pressure aero can be reasonably simple. I run a drain to waste setup that runs on a short cycle timer set to 15 seconds on and 10 minutes off. I've had great results with it after a little time sorting out the initial setup and system timing. I've got no serious complaints. Fyi my 4x4 aero table consistently exceeds 1 gpw when I fill the table.

I also run dwc undercurrent as well. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Which is better is entirely dependent on your desired growing style. My undercurrent setup is better suited to growing big plants. The aerotable is awesome for running sog to pheno hunt or monocrop depending on what I'm trying to do at the time. Just my opinions and observations.

Here is the short cycle timer I use. It is easy to use, just be careful not to bump the dials as they move easy. Other than that it's pretty set and forget. You can run multiple pumps from one timer with a 3 way splitter with no issues.

picture.php

Pic of my diy aero cloner roots:
picture.php

Pic of my bloom tent: undercurrent on the right and aerotable on the left. Both systems run off of one common 55g reservoir. It was a bitch setting up, but once it got dialed in it's a cadillac to operate.
picture.php

Moug

I have used aeroponics but had issues with clogged sprayers. I have designed a new system where my nutrient tank is out side of my tent with the pump eliminating the clogging. The excess is my buckets drains back to the nutrient tank by gravity. I love the aero system. For power outages i have a back up generator.

Spaventa

Veteran
I’m all aero for everything, cloning, mothers, veg and flower. Went through every type of system and media and got sick of them all. All I have to buy is nutrients, I have zero transplant issues and knowhere for pests to colonise. I also like that I have nothing I need to precondition or throw away.
All the systems mist/spray continuously.

Moug

Aeroponics

Aeroponics

I started using coco but found it a mess and hard to adjust nutes and ph. I tried aero in one container and did well. Problem is pump takes in roots and topping up the reservoir is difficult. I am now designing a sytem of aero where the esrrvoir is outside of my grow tent so it ends these issues. I will post a photo once this profect is completed.

Cheers

Rabbi

The power outage thing is so blown out of proportion with Aero. I had a 10 hr power outtage about a month ago and the plants did fine.

Remember if your power goes out your lights go out too and than they're barely drinking water at that point. Plus you could always manually water in a last case scenario type deal. I've never had to(been doing aero for 17 years) but you could if needed.

Unless you're in a situation where your power goes out for days on a regular basis I wouldn't worry about the power outage thing if considering aeroponics.

I agree rabbi. Plants do fine with power outages. I run a flood and drain low pressure aero table setup. I've got a valve and union at the drain that allows the table to be filled in case of such a situation. It also helps with cleaning of the table between rounds.

Moug: I use a 4x4 flood and drain table on a 2x2 frame. It gravity drains to the 55g tote reservoir outside my tent. Best thing I ever did. The rez stays cooler, and I've got a bluelab gaurdian constant readout monitor on the wall next to the tote. Soooooo much easier than using pens for ph/ppm/temp.