What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Terpenes of Cannabis Their Aromas and Effects

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe you should start a thread with information on aldehyde's, keytone's, alcohol's, and other related compounds.......

I find all this information helpful, the world isn't just what we see. Perhaps the terpenes not found in cannabis can still be helpful to people.

:yeahthats
now THAT would be something very interesting! a topic that is very ignored,
it would be great to see a thread like that on icmag, especially coming from someone like sam....

I second that^^

Last edited:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Is it possible for a plant to have a terpene, lets say linalool,
yet not smell floral, is there a way the plant can suppress a
terpene expression?

If so, what can be done to trigger those latent expressions?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Moderate -- not instigate.

Just to have so many stoners interested in the science of weed is a miracle in itself.
This thread isn't just about terpenes in pot, though the title may suggest differently.

As far as I understood the thread is about the terpenes of Cannabis.

Terpenes are everywhere, and 140 reside in pot, I won't argue that.
What is not known 100% is how the multitude of these terpenes react with each other.
Foods, drinks, flowers all have scents and flavors, all with their own terpenes.

I for one have little interest in the terpenes not yet found in Cannabis, come on now to even try just one a day of the 20,000+ terpenes not found in Cannabis would take 55 years, and do you try them with THC or other Cannabinoids or alone?
That is why I focused on the 140 terpenes found in Cannabis, that is a number that I can handle, and they may have effects that moderate the high of Cannabis with THC as they are found in Cannabis. I am not saying other terpenes will not be found they will be, and then they will have my interest. (I found other peaks of suspected terpenes in my GC readouts, but their identities are not yet confirmed) until then to start on all 20,000+ terpenes seems a bit premature, they are not found in Cannabis.
Even with the 140 that have been found in Cannabis I started with the terpenes that are most found in the highest concentrations, as I figured they were more likely to be the cause of THC modulation and the root cause of all the different effects found in many different Cannabis varieties that only has THC no other Cannabinoids yet each have different effects dependent on the terpenes present.
My focus was which terpenes modulated THC in what way, more up, more down, etc etc. I was really looking at recreational uses.

Without any mind altering drugs, we still derive pleasure from things in our surroundings.
Why? Who cares! If it feels good-do it.

I would not just add any terpene to Cannabis and try it, some may harm you, even if it feels good. If the terpene is found in Cannabis then the odds are it is safer.

Most knowledge fits in the realm of uselessness.
Our curiosity draws us towards knowledge.
Though few of us actually make a living with the most of it.

Will terpene testing change my idea of how I breed my pot?
Doubtful! I just breed what I enjoy, regardless of testing.

I bet once the effects of the terpenes found in Cannabis are understood it will effect Cannabis breeding, maybe not your breeding, but it will change how professional breeders work, it did for me a decade ago, that is my focus terpenes, it is easy to find high THC varieties it is not easy to find varieties with the taste and effects you desire, breeding for terpenes will change that. Just like breeding for CBD or another Cannabinoid with lab analysis has already changed Cannabis breeding

To us stoners, wondering why a cold Hefewiezen beer, a bowl of good weed, and a Dominoes pizza tastes so fookin good together, call it terpene interaction, I just call tasty and enjoyable.
No science needed.

That said would you prefer I did not do the science that revealed that terpenes modulate THC and cause all the effects found in Cannabis? I say the more science the better.
-SamS

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Sam I saw some pictures of dry sift and terpenes online today that looked like your science.

so what did you think of the GG #4? how about a smoke report on something you tried and liked in Cali? or from the cup?

is there a way the plant can suppress a terpene expression?

Great question. What about rudimentary terpenes and other compounds?
What would be in the subboreal Pazyryk Scythian?

to even try just one a day of the 20,000+ terpenes not found in Cannabis would take 55 years, and do you try them with THC or other Cannabinoids or alone?

Just the 140 terpenes give billions of possible combinations.
These in turn need to be researched in different ratio's and in relation to all the other compounds, again in different ratio's. That's enough for 55 centuries, which is why IMO we need to think out of the box as much as possible to find shortcuts. The more experiences we share the better.

Lemon juice seems to have the opposite effect as hop (which will also let you sleep like a baby, most likely caused by the myrcene). The best day time drink with your day time smoke I think is a fresh banana shake with a little lemon juice, so refreshing and delicious.

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
Great thread Seaf0ur!

Having looked at those test results, looks like the chem family's dominant terpene is Humulene! Interesting as I sometimes get a chem aroma when I crack a hoppy beer, a terpene also found in hops.

Peace

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The scientific literature lists 140 or so terpenes found in Cannabis, I have found a few more, you can look all you want for 400 in Cannabis, you will not find them. You can check out "Marijuana and the Cannabinoids" edited by Mahmoud A ElSohly, look at page 28 and you will find a pretty current list (2007) running over the next 10 pages or so. This is chapter 2, from pg. 17-50 was written by Rudolf Brenneisene ....
-SamS

Thanks Sam - You're the man

testymctester

Veteran

Great information in this thread. Nice work seafour and everyone else!

I am most interested in maximizing terpene expression/production of each strain and mixing strains to achieve unique or favorable terpene combinations. It's a lot like making beer or wine. You combine different hops and malts or varietals and clones with different terpene combinations to get a superior combination.

I stumbled upon this when making oil from multiple strains. I have since experimented with different combinations of different strains in the grinder and noted my favorite combinations. One recent example is roughly 2/3 Super Sour Diesel (OG Kush x Sour Diesel) and 1/3 Phantom (GDP x Cherry Pie). I grew these outdoor this year and the combined aroma/flavor is amazing. :biggrin:

Just like a fine Bordeaux blend, I really like the concept of strain mixing to achieve complex terpene profiles. I haven't seen this done in the mj scene though. Usually a mixed product is the lowest quality flowers, trim, etc.

Does anyone else blend their best strains? My experience has been a complete focus on the individual strain and the expectation that breeding should create the terpene profile rather than blending the final products. Again, the perception is generally that a mixed product is inferior.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
What was the first year you made and grew clones?
-SamS

I've been growing for 34 yrs.
I grew clone only for the first 28 yrs.
Since having become legally licensed for MMJ, I began breeding.

I do a bunch of fem breeding, since majority of my stock is female.
There's always a stray nanner to play with.
Results have been good to great, being the breeding stock was good to great as well.
I love the wild frankenstien crosses and the surprises they contain.

Breeding regular seeds with a grow of 100% female keepers is your biggest challenge.
Finding a suitable baby daddy is a shot in the dark.
My first male was a Cali Conn Blackwater.
Everything it touched hermed from mild to chronic herming.
Took a year to clean up the mess.

My advice:
Breed what you love to smoke, forget the pedigree of your lines, breed individuals based on your own preferences.
Don't be afraid to go in a diff direction.
I hate a parade :dance013:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I sometimes mix drysifts, but if I have a really great one I hate to mix a less great one with it. Mixing can make the high better, or more complete to me, a great head high with a great body stone for example.
-SamS

Great information in this thread. Nice work seafour and everyone else!

I am most interested in maximizing terpene expression/production of each strain and mixing strains to achieve unique or favorable terpene combinations. It's a lot like making beer or wine. You combine different hops and malts or varietals and clones with different terpene combinations to get a superior combination.

I stumbled upon this when making oil from multiple strains. I have since experimented with different combinations of different strains in the grinder and noted my favorite combinations. One recent example is roughly 2/3 Super Sour Diesel (OG Kush x Sour Diesel) and 1/3 Phantom (GDP x Cherry Pie). I grew these outdoor this year and the combined aroma/flavor is amazing. :biggrin:

Just like a fine Bordeaux blend, I really like the concept of strain mixing to achieve complex terpene profiles. I haven't seen this done in the mj scene though. Usually a mixed product is the lowest quality flowers, trim, etc.

Does anyone else blend their best strains? My experience has been a complete focus on the individual strain and the expectation that breeding should create the terpene profile rather than blending the final products. Again, the perception is generally that a mixed product is inferior.

May be attack them with unknown insects and pathogens.
That leads to significant changes within 2 hours.
I wonder if that could be exploited somehow, every single terpene seems to be a pinpoint reaction to a specific threat.

Basically it's all chemical warfare and an armsrace too.
Plants will design new and improved terpenes in response to new or improved threats.

;6659036 said:
shortcuts.

It seems in general flavours we associate with freshness are energizing, while dark flavours are sedative.