What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LONG TERM SEED STORAGE 20+ YEARS

dickcorn

Tons of info in here... But all I can keep thinking is there has to be at least a couple kilos of sadpxskunk1 in there, free them again Sam!!!

Looking through this thread I am realizing I have lifetimes to learn. Humbled in the presence of such great minds. Thanks for your Contributions to the human race.

Wood Duck

Hey Buddy..just started some Seed Bank originals that I have had in the freezer since 1989..then I always let them sit out at room temp for at least 3-4 weeks..100% germination..freezer is the only way to go..all my seeds are old but work out just fine

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
^^^^ I bet the ultimate would be storing seeds in some inert gas like argon at low temperature after displacing the ambient air.

Just found these articles. :tiphat:

Prolonging the longevity of ex situ conserved seeds by storage under anoxia

Low oxygen seed storage

I posted the first link you posted, the second is an overview of Groot's work I posted his 3 papers on the subject, did you read the papers I posted and the paper you posted?
I do agree that maybe seeds for long storage need to be dried propery, kept cold, and flushed with an inert gas before storage.
-SamS

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam it says on the Finola page that you must dry to 9%moisture. It says a Gravity/Separator table may be necessary for the removal of some weed seeds and that drying prevents moulds damaging the seeds for storage.. Sounds advice :)

My question is;

Have you tried to adapt a Gravity table and put screens in it for Skunk#1 to try make dry sift?

The tables are advertised as being able perform effective separation/sieve on almost any dry product... I'm curious..

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No I have never used what you mentioned, I use tradition methods with a method I developed to do the final clean up to 99.9% resin heads.
I dry seeds for a month in brown paper bags in a dry room to be sure the moisture level is under 10%, Then keep them in zip locks at 4 degrees Celsius, if the seeds are made well to full completion they will last for over 25 years. BTW full completion is not 4 weeks after pollination, I keep mine on the living plant for a minimum of 10 weeks, it is not good for the weed quality, but makes seeds that last the longest and are the most viable for long term storage.

The only thing different I would do today is I would flush the zip locks full of seeds with an inert gas as that helps extend their viability lifetime, oxygen and hi-moisture and heat are not good for seed storage. Live and learn.

-SamS

Sam it says on the Finola page that you must dry to 9%moisture. It says a Gravity/Separator table may be necessary for the removal of some weed seeds and that drying prevents moulds damaging the seeds for storage.. Sounds advice :)

My question is;

Have you tried to adapt a Gravity table and put screens in it for Skunk#1 to try make dry sift?

The tables are advertised as being able perform effective separation/sieve on almost any dry product... I'm curious..

TheDarkStorm

I use the glass jars with the metal lids with a button that you press...it creates a negative pressure/vacum in the jar wen done properly....then in the fridge ....no problems with 30 pluss year old seeds no drop in germination, as long as they wer stored correctly before getting to me....in fact I used to find most seeds made from before 2000 were way more vigorous anyways...even wen popped years later compared to stuff around made in the last 20years.

ngakpa

Veteran
several recent peer-reviewed studies on Cannabis seed storage methods are referenced here
https://archive.org/details/CannabisACompleteGuide2016

what I took away from reading is that low humidity is far and away the most crucial factor

more important even than temperature

I have learned oxygen is maybe as or more important, or at least overlooked. -SamS

https://www.academia.edu/25507089/Ef...annabis_sativa

Preventing seed quality loss during storage. The role of oxygen is underestimated
Steven P.C. Groot
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...underestimated
or use SCI-HUB
DOI: 10.13140/2.1.5013.3447

Last edited by a moderator:

ngakpa

Veteran
It seems (according to The Real Seed Company) that for example certain Himalayan varieties have seeds with different germinating times (meaning one variety has 'early' and 'late' seeds).

hi, that's not exactly what I wrote, no

it's not that there are two clear seed types, late and early

it's that wild-type seeds show staggered and uneven germination

the Himalayan types that show this are either wild-type plants (var. himalayensis), aka "jungli"

or they're intermediate domesticates that are quite close to wild plants

the northern Kumaoni landrace we sell as 'Nanda Devi' is like that

but most Kumaoni domesticates have very big seeds and germinate very quickly, like any domesticate

LostTribe

Premium user
So is one of those super expensive lab freezers required? Not everyone requires a walk in!