What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LONG TERM SEED STORAGE 20+ YEARS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Hello all,
I wanted to test the germination of some of my older seed stock.
Not seeds for sale, mostly untried hybrids I made years ago.
I have kept these under refrigeration at +4c / +5c for 20-25 years now.
I did a random germination test of 100 seeds from each of 25 batches of randomly picked from the 3000 different seed batches in the 100kg collection. I have tons of seeds, not kilos, tons.
I was plesantly surprised to find that some in all batches had sprouted, more then 35% of the batches had over 50%-95% sprouted after 72 hours, the rest are between 1%-25% after 72 hours. I will let the seeds germinate for another 4 days and see what the final totals are and post them.
I made the seeds myself, so they are well made seeds, I make a seed for 8+ weeks after pollination, not in as little as 4 weeks as some other seed makers.
I do not know why the 35% of the seed batches were so much better and faster germinating then the rest, maybe I can decide on a reason after the germination testing is done if they do not reach the same germination totals? I assume that seeds that only sprout at 10 % might well have genetic damage or loss from age and they might not be quite the same as the same seed when fresh. I would not use them. If over 25% germination then I presume the plants are ok to use and keep if you can find a good keeper.
I figure the seeds were made with the same amount of time and skill but maybe their are differences because of seed size or varieties? Not sure at all, this is my longest big storage, 25 years, and then germination testing I have done. I have some other seeds frozen and with time periods over 20 years+ they do keep a higher germination rate then just in a refrigerator. I also have seeds in very small amounts that are 35+ years old in a refrigerator at +4c.
Cannabis pollen also I have tested after 20 years frozen at -30c and it worked great with seed set and making great seeds.
I have a post somewhere about how exactly I did the pollen peservation.
-SamS

Last edited:
B

Bob Green

Right on man! I have not been this stoked on a new thread in a long time. Will be amazing to see what comes of these!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have had good results with my pollen stored in the freezer. I put enough pollen in small paper pouches to pollinate many plants. There are around 10 of these pouches sealed in a air tight round hard plastic container that also has tape around the seem. I just used some to make the GG#4 x Querkle cross. I got 400+ seeds from that plant. Still viable after 4 years and counting :). I only take out 1 of the paper pouches so all don't see drastic temp fluctuations...

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Wow, that's a lot of refridgerators to keep 2200 lbs of seeds in for 25 years!

good luck with your experiments...

B

Bob Green

Hey Sam any way we could get a list of the 35+ year old gems you have stashed?

I would love to hear how someone like you would go about germinating such valuble seed stock. Would you use gibberellic acid? Would you scuff the shells? Would you pry open some to help the embrio? So many questions!!!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Itll be interesting to see if the genetics of one of the parentals could be attributed to storage longevity or the lack there of.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No real interest discussing varieties, my real interest is the time of storage, how long. I do not want to discuss exactly what varieties I had in the walk in fridge and freezers, I have no reason to, but I will try and mention what does better in terms of % germination, and the ones that did poorly, when the test ends. I hope I can tell if the bad germination % is because they are smaller, or maybe the varieties? Time may tell.
-SamS

Snype

Veteran
I'm getting about 80-90% germination rates from keeping seeds in the freezer for 16 years with air sealed Ball jars for the record.

Gist

Hey Sam,

Awesome thread, great info. I want to learn more about saving seed and pollen as well. Will follow and look forward to updates!

Peace~

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't used the freezer for my seeds just the crisper drawer. With my limited knowledge on this subject all I know is if the embryo gets frozen it dies. If there are a lot of seeds how do you control the temperature from center of the bag to edge in the bag?. The seeds in the middle will be warmer then the seeds closer to the edge of the bag.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I haven't used the freezer for my seeds just the crisper drawer. With my limited knowledge on this subject all I know is if the embryo gets frozen it dies. If there are a lot of seeds how do you control the temperature from center of the bag to edge in the bag?. The seeds in the middle will be warmer then the seeds closer to the edge of the bag.

Try sticking some fresh seeds, unwanted and uneeded into a freezer, just a few months will show what you think is not true. You can put them in a glass jar to reduce freezer burn from any frost in the freezer.
I freeze kilos at a time at -30c in just a few hours there is no differences in temperatures like you think. Cannabis seed embryos do not get damaged by freezing if the seed is fresh and dry, newly harvested damp seed should not be frozen. Dry any really fresh seeds in paper for a few months in a cool dry room, to be sure, before freezing. Try and not take the frozen seeds out of the freezer until needed. Freezing warm freezing warm freezing warm freezing is not good for long term freezing with a high success %.
-SamS

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's probably what a read Sam about new seeds in the freezer.. It said the small amount of water inside the shell if frozen would kill the seed. The ice kills the cells its like a knife.. I haven't done any research on seed storage. I'm more interested in Pollen storage. I have no need to store seeds that long. I grow them plus I don't have Tons/Kilos/Lbs/ of seeds

MJBadger

Veteran
Sam seems not bothered about the varieties/strains but if some are 35yr old there are probably some original strains that are totally adulterated now , be interesting to hear about a bit of history .
Are you just germing or any intention of growing ?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sam seems not bothered about the varieties/strains but if some are 35yr old there are probably some original strains that are totally adulterated now , be interesting to hear about a bit of history .
Are you just germing or any intention of growing ?

Not growing them, not breeding them, just wanted to check germination %'s. I will toss the few thousand germination tested seeds, sprouted or not. Some are already getting roots all tangled up and growing through the paper towels. No problem.
100 Kgs is 5,000,000 seeds, way to many to grow soon anyway.
But I am interested in how well they keep for how long. 95% germination after 25 years in cold storage surprised me.
I just need 5,000 acres to plant them, maybe soon come?
-SamS

Last edited:

mofeta

Veteran
I just need 20,000 acres to plant them, maybe soon come?
-SamS

5 years.

It seems inevitable now, the proverbial "tipping point" has been reached in my opinion. I think the recent passing of the "feds don't interfere with state's med marijuana or hemp laws" part of the Commerce, Science, Justice, and Related Agencies spending bill that was sponsored by Republican Dana Rohrabacher, presages the passage of things like the Respect State Marijuana Laws Act, and ultimately the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act being passed by both houses and signed by the President into law.

Like it or not, the rest of the world follows the US lead on these matters, I believe the global obsession with prohibition has it's roots in the US. Likewise, a wave of liberty in the US would lead to worldwide freedoms.

Latest posts

Latest posts