What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group (2013-∞)

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Buddhism teaches that, when the Buddha nature manifests itself from within, it will receive protection from without. This is one of its fundamental principles. The Lotus Sutra says, “I have profound reverence for you.”[SUP]2[/SUP] The Nirvana Sutra states, “All living beings alike possess the Buddha nature.” Bodhisattva Ashvaghosha’s Awakening of Faith in the Mahayana says, “Because the true abiding Law invariably permeates one’s life and exerts its influence, illusions are instantly extinguished, and the Dharma body manifests itself.” Bodhisattva Maitreya’s Treatise on the Stages of Yoga Practice contains a similar statement. What is hidden turns into manifest virtue.

The Three Kinds of Treasure

https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/106

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
The heart of the Buddha’s lifetime of p.852teachings is the Lotus Sutra, and the heart of the practice of the Lotus Sutra is found in the “Never Disparaging” chapter. What does Bodhisattva Never Disparaging’s profound respect for people signify? The purpose of the appearance in this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his behavior as a human being.

Respectfully.

The wise may be called human, but the thoughtless are no more than animals.

Nichiren

Reactions: Cvh

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Are 'Amitabha' recitations allowed?

This question has contextual significance that requires a compassionate answer or it will seem dismissive of the Buddha's canon of teachings.

This thread propagates the Buddhist teaching of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. Myoho Renge Kyo represents the enlightenment of all Buddhas, all sentient beings, without boundaries or limits.

The historical Buddha taught that every Buddha is present within this teaching ( The Essential Lotus) and to signify a specificty within the Buddhist cannon itself is an inefficient means of enlightenment in the later day of the law.

Thus provisonal practices are put aside (as they are a personal facet of one's own life) for the universal practice of chanting the title of the Lotus in a form that honors the complete lineage of Buddhas in the process.

A complete one precept practice for all sentient beings including icchantika.

For the compassion of the Buddhas is boundless.

Their perfected equanimty has opened the doors of wisdom for all sentient beings to enter the Buddha way.

All that is required to realize this is to have full confidence in the mystic Buddhist law (of Myoho Renge Kyo), and to chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

All Buddhas chant the title of Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra, none are ignorant of the title, the practice, or the patron. Thus is the nature of Buddha equanimity.

The divisions that were put before us in the past are our own karmic obfuscations, the Lotus is the good medcine the Buddha left to heal that divide.

So please do not think your asperations aren't appreaciated, venerated and desired. Those practices are provisonal however and are the rudiment for this pratice. Not a sublimation for it.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myohoh Renge Kyo

Last edited:

Nannymouse

@Weird , thanks for the mindful answer. I gained more clarity on the subject from post #88, concerning the nature of 'us' as seeing ourselves as having already attained the status, verses 'hoping to become, in another lifetime'. I am still attached to the idea of rebirth into the western pure land, as it gave me hope that past errors could be healed through the wish granting trees. But, i am starting to see my Amitabha view as 'giving in' to an idea that in this life, attainment is too difficult for a simpleton as myself and i can only hope for a rebirth into a place with no obstacles. Haha, so thanks for my present confusion!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Provisional practices develop the virtue necessary for someone to encounter the teachings of the Lotus Sutra.

If one finds themselves fortunate enough to encounter the Lotus in this existence, it is due to the virtue developed through past provisonal practices.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

Daisaku Ikeda, Honorary President of the Soka Gakkai and President of the Soka Gakkai International (SGI), passed away from natural causes at his residence in Shinjuku, Tokyo, on the evening of Nov. 15. He was 95. A funeral has been held with members of his immediate family; the time and date of commemorative services will be announced shortly.

Ikeda Sensei was born in Tokyo on Jan. 2, 1928. He was inaugurated as third president of the Soka Gakkai in 1960 and for almost two decades led the lay Buddhist movement in dynamic growth that also saw important international development. He became Soka Gakkai International (SGI) President in 1975 and Soka Gakkai Honorary President in 1979. He is survived by his wife, Kaneko, and his sons, Hiromasa and Takahiro.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Latest posts

Latest posts