What's new

Grafting with noreason

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is hard but using large braches should be easily, here on a gar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJNt7IUq6I
then wet with water and roots stim and cover with aluminum foil or try to use "mastice" for pruning...

i'm just able to do it on olive trees but with another tecnique and we do grafting in march, with low temps so the innesto is more hard to dry....

don't worry i'm just popping some corns :D

PS where is your 3aed on the rh that you had few times ago in your sign???

I guess grafting wooden stems (like the ones in the video) with a lot of lignin is way easier than green plants with soft stems.

Making the stem coincide could be not so hard, but for the following days after the work, the graft should be accurately keep in a optimal environment with high RH and right temps.

In the wooden plant there is not so much need to keep an optimal environment such with green plants due to their transpiration rate, slow in the wooden plants (like olive trees) and very fast in green plants that use water to keep an high cellular turgor and thus become hard, where a wooden plants use lignin.

Try to think about olives....their transpiration rate could be very low, they can survive without water for months in summer. Every plants is obviously different, but generally talking there is a lot of difference in plants with a lot of lignin and the ones with very few.

However.... I should give the coupling gap (innesto a spacco) a try and see what happen.

:wave:

ps: Here the VPD thread : https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=195058

BrownThumb

It's pretty simple.
The goal is having only one mom, where I can take cuttings of different genetics.
Only one pot to water, only one plant to light, less work, less space used and probably less W to keep only one plant than 5 or 6 or even more.

Don't you think it could be pretty useful, especially for those with a lot of plants to take care of? ;)

Keep it green dudes :wave:

That was a perfect answer! A profound DUH!!! Genius... Thanks for sharing the great idea!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
The first grafting experiment has failed.

After waiting around 20 days I noticed the white connection tissue has not grown anymore.
So I decided to cut the stem of one plant, that dried up in few hours without root mass.
This mean the stem was not vascularized with the other. It can't receive water from the other one resulting in a failure.

However, the stems, in the grafting point were very hard, enough to keep the graft up, so, 50% of what a grafting should be, is ok. Now it's the time to find the correct process to solve the water (and obviously solutes) uptake.

I just have to try again with some modified steps ( I already know what to change) trying to achieve a complete and healthy graft.

Some pictures showing when I cut the stem.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

Just a little curiosity: observing the grafting connection point, I noticed purple pigments on the stem of one plant. These pigments ends exactly where the teflon tape started.
I already observed switches from green to purple before, and I'm sure, there is light directly involved. Only tissues receiving light can change from green to purple. This do not happen where light can't reach tissue.
This theory doesn't come form this experiment, it is only one more confirm that I'm not wrong.

Next update soon!

The 3rd image got me thinking... about clones.

I would think that you would have to pinch or seal the point where you cut the plant away from its own stalk.

Wouldnt that gaping wound suck air much the way a clone might?

Just seems like it might be as simple as that. I dunno. Might be worth a thought.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dude looks like you just grafted the phloem. You gotta connect the xylem too.

Stem-cross-section2.jpg

Need a deeper cut like ya dig.
If you make a cut like this but like more to the side you should be golden.

omega-graft.jpg

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 3rd image got me thinking... about clones.

I would think that you would have to pinch or seal the point where you cut the plant away from its own stalk.

Wouldnt that gaping wound suck air much the way a clone might?

Just seems like it might be as simple as that. I dunno. Might be worth a thought.

Good point bro :yes:
I did not think about this before.....

Gotta put some mastic on the cut just after removed the bottom stem, this should avoid embolus due to the open vascular system in the first minutes. Or just put the stem in a glass of water and wait for the closing of the hack.

Btw, I don't think dry-out of the graft is due to the open stem, there were other mistakes like leave a lot of leaves on the graft.

Lot of leaves = lot of transpiration, and we don't want much transpiration because if the vascular system between the plants is just linked, it can transport little quantity of water, but if the graft's water consumption is greater, the graft will dry.

Dude looks like you just grafted the phloem. You gotta connect the xylem too.

View Image

Need a deeper cut like ya dig.
If you make a cut like this but like more to the side you should be golden.

Next time I'll try a deeper cut ;) Thanks for sharing the infos!

I hope you can pull it off this is very interesting to me

I hope too :)

:wave:

Dkgrower

Veteran
Very cool - this should be possibol - evne tho all plants i see are appel - grapes - roses - Perennial plants that can do the trick.

Maby if u take a top cutting and use that -

On the target mother plant open the bark making a T cut and insert the cutting after that seal it of with some rubber or bast.

That what they do in roses when they are in veg.

The other grafting types are done with Perennial plant in there resting periode - winter time.

Hope u make it happen - best of luck

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think you just grafted the outside so when you cut the scion it basically bled out, must have xylem and phloem. One takes up nutrients one sends them down ya know. Need 2 way circulation, that is why it dried out so fast bro.

Latest posts

Latest posts