What's new

Grafting with noreason

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well guys here I am again with a new simple work: I just want to try to have only one mom that has more strains in it, one for every branch.

The method I will try maybe is the way easier than all the others, it should be called approximation grafting.

The thing is to peel off the external skin of a branch or the stem in the grafting part and fix it near another branch or stem wich received the same treatment.

I started with two clones, one strain is DIVINA and one is EX.CHEESE. Divina clone was flowering when it was cut, and still has some calixes and some white pistils.

After treatment I used teflon to keep the two stems together. After a week there were already visible plants cell forming withe callus tissue tending to englobe each other.

After two weeks this is the situation, the white stuff is from teflon I used to kept together the stems.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As you can see in the previous pictures, the stems are quite solid together but they need more time to consolidate I guess, so I put again teflon tape and some adesive tape to keep everything in position.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I did not tight the tape very much, just aderent to the stems.

That's all for now, I will post updates from now on on every strain I'll graft, but there is a basic question on which root system I would use.
What's the best I can do? Maybe using a root mass coming from a plant from seed? Or using a root mass from a young clone? And if it would be a clone how to choose it? Indica or sativa hybrid? So let's spend your two cents guys :biggrin:

This is a flower from Divina clone used in this grafting experiment....it's growing leaves and everything but still continue to flower here and there...

picture.php

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
What little I know about grafting tells me that a "host" plant with a hardy root ball and takes up nutrients easily would be the best bet. I don't think a plant from either seed or clone would make all that much difference. But, that is just a guess on my part.

Thanks for sharing this!

I

icon

this is really cool stuff i'll be following along i would like to try this soon

L

Libeccio

super interesting thread! thanks for sharing.
i've always wondered about if grafting cannabis would work.
please keep us posted. :)

Treetops

I would like to try this using Clones taken long into flower...which I have found turn into " bushs" big time....Excellent idea...Another project..:tiphat:
Thanks,
TT

BrownThumb

This reminds me of a fruit cocktail tree. I think being able to do this is cool as hell, but is there a practical side I am missing? I understand you have multiple flavors on one tree, but isn't that more work then just growing out the strains you want?

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What little I know about grafting tells me that a "host" plant with a hardy root ball and takes up nutrients easily would be the best bet. I don't think a plant from either seed or clone would make all that much difference. But, that is just a guess on my part.

Thanks for sharing this!

Thank you for stopping!

I was thinking about roots and well, let's say there is not much differences between one and another, especially if plants grow in good environment conditions like a good medium.
I mean this is not a plant graft on another to have more chances to live in ostile conditions...

So I will not care as much on this point...

this is really cool stuff i'll be following along i would like to try this soon

Actually it's not that difficult to make an approximation graft, give it a try ;)

super interesting thread! thanks for sharing.
i've always wondered about if grafting cannabis would work.
please keep us posted.

Grafting work for sure. Different kind of grafting can work but I think this is the easiest to make.
Some kind of grafting is good only with wooden and slow transpiration rate plants.
Ganja plants are more susceptible to dry out, so keeping the original root mass intact till the complete graft it's the best option to achieve the goal I guess.

I would like to try this using Clones taken long into flower...which I have found turn into " bushs" big time....Excellent idea...Another project..:tiphat:
Thanks,
TT

I prefer taking coles not so much into flowering. They keep flowering sometime even at 18\6 and take long time to fully convert in vegetative growth.
Best clones are the lower IMHO, taking when they just when the stems starting to become hard. No tips cutting, it's pretty useless.

Big Up Mate !!!!!

very very Cool Man !

Big up to you bro. Hope to see you soon :wave:

This reminds me of a fruit cocktail tree. I think being able to do this is cool as hell, but is there a practical side I am missing? I understand you have multiple flavors on one tree, but isn't that more work then just growing out the strains you want?

Was wondering that myself...

It's pretty simple.
The goal is having only one mom, where I can take cuttings of different genetics.
Only one pot to water, only one plant to light, less work, less space used and probably less W to keep only one plant than 5 or 6 or even more.

Don't you think it could be pretty useful, especially for those with a lot of plants to take care of? ;)

It could be very useful for those want to moving out and keep the genetics alive. Hide and transport only one plant is way easier than having a lot...
Keep it green dudes :wave:

ozman

Hey noreason,I too am starting my grafting journey.I have 1 successful graft so far and am waiting on the new girls to get big enough to cut scions with.I dont have the room to graft like that,so I had to go a different path.I wish you success in your endeavor.

I was thinking about this....I have a huge growing plant...that is what i call the animal...it's just a beast....put some small teens at 12" into flower...and you have a bushy 4 footer that yields 3-4 ounces in a 2 gal pot....I also have the burkle (qurkle x blueberry) that is a slow grower and hardly any streach put a 12" in flower and it 16-18" and yeilds 14-20 grams...but the medicine is just awesome.....I think this is a perfect example of where grafting could really be helpful.....now just got get some time to do it.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The first grafting experiment has failed.

After waiting around 20 days I noticed the white connection tissue has not grown anymore.
So I decided to cut the stem of one plant, that dried up in few hours without root mass.
This mean the stem was not vascularized with the other. It can't receive water from the other one resulting in a failure.

However, the stems, in the grafting point were very hard, enough to keep the graft up, so, 50% of what a grafting should be, is ok. Now it's the time to find the correct process to solve the water (and obviously solutes) uptake.

I just have to try again with some modified steps ( I already know what to change) trying to achieve a complete and healthy graft.

Some pictures showing when I cut the stem.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Just a little curiosity: observing the grafting connection point, I noticed purple pigments on the stem of one plant. These pigments ends exactly where the teflon tape started.
I already observed switches from green to purple before, and I'm sure, there is light directly involved. Only tissues receiving light can change from green to purple. This do not happen where light can't reach tissue.
This theory doesn't come form this experiment, it is only one more confirm that I'm not wrong.

Next update soon!

5th

Veteran
I read a post a few years back, about mixing rooting powder with petroleum jelly. Applying to branches (both woody or soft) to jump start the rooting process before cutting off said areas to start clones with... I know it works, hell I got pretty good results actually...

Any thoughts on a substance to lather up the two cut areas on the plants before joining them together?

Fi_Di_Bot

Son Of Botany - Green Block Original Shrdana
Veteran
for the base, porta innesto, is better to use a plant from seed, 'couse they roots more and more faster than cuttings (usually!!)

dovresti beccare vaso con vaso per far si che la linfa viaggi anche nel innesto.. provare con un bel taglio a 45° su un ramo del franco (porta innesto) e taglio a 45° anche sul innesto.. che ne pensi? (sorry for the last part in italian but i need to improve mi gardening dictionary)

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read a post a few years back, about mixing rooting powder with petroleum jelly. Applying to branches (both woody or soft) to jump start the rooting process before cutting off said areas to start clones with... I know it works, hell I got pretty good results actually...

Any thoughts on a substance to lather up the two cut areas on the plants before joining them together?

Air cloning works nice and I guess applying a sort of oily protection to keep things moist could be very useful, as one of the firsts problems is that dry air stops ''callus'' growth, or at least, this seems to be.

Next time I'll try to keep the grafting point moist trying to close it in a piece of aluminium sheet, this should keep tissues soft and make graft easier.

there is a excellent video on youtube on grafting tomatoes.....should work here...check it out.

I should search for it! If you have a link please share it :)

for the base, porta innesto, is better to use a plant from seed, 'couse they roots more and more faster than cuttings (usually!!)

dovresti beccare vaso con vaso per far si che la linfa viaggi anche nel innesto.. provare con un bel taglio a 45° su un ramo del franco (porta innesto) e taglio a 45° anche sul innesto.. che ne pensi? (sorry for the last part in italian but i need to improve mi gardening dictionary)

Yo bro, nice to see you again here!

Do you mean to cut both stems and join them together, coinciding phloem and xylem?
It could work, but I guess it is quite hard to do, even for transpiration rate that could easily dry the graft up in few hours without the correct RH%.
I mean this technique should be more difficult, and honestly, I would find a KISS (keep it stupid simple) method for grafting.

Stay tuned for updates :wave:

Fi_Di_Bot

Son Of Botany - Green Block Original Shrdana
Veteran
is hard but using large braches should be easily, here on a gar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJNt7IUq6I
then wet with water and roots stim and cover with aluminum foil or try to use "mastice" for pruning...

i'm just able to do it on olive trees but with another tecnique and we do grafting in march, with low temps so the innesto is more hard to dry....

don't worry i'm just popping some corns :D

PS where is your 3aed on the rh that you had few times ago in your sign???

Latest posts

Latest posts