What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thailand Cave Rescue

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
The term Hero gets thrown around pretty loosely these days, but I have to take my hat off to the divers who went into the caves and rescued the kids, particularly the British divers who discovered the kids.

Cave diving is a highly technical form of diving and extremely dangerous. The possibility of getting stuck or not being able to turn around have deadly consequences. The people who took this on purely for the well being of others are highly admirable and truly deserving of the term heroes.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The term Hero gets thrown around pretty loosely these days, but I have to take my hat off to the divers who went into the caves and rescued the kids, particularly the British divers who discovered the kids.

Cave diving is a highly technical form of diving and extremely dangerous. The possibility of getting stuck or not being able to turn around have deadly consequences. The people who took this on purely for the well being of others are highly admirable and truly deserving of the term heroes.

Totally Agree Zeez. :tiphat:

CaptainDankness

Agreed, of course there are plenty of people who love to cave dive for fun, it's called spelunking.

I would try it out if I was with a crew that knew what they were doing. Seems like it would be fun.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

Totally Agree Zeez. :tiphat:
I am glad they are coming out. The MAJOR question is WTF were they doing so deep if the graphics are accurate?

shithawk420

Veteran
Supposedly it's a right of tradition and they carve their names in the wall.im glad it worked out but I feel bad for the Navy seal who died.i hope people learn a lesson from doing stuff like this in the future

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Supposedly it's a right of tradition and they carve their names in the wall.im glad it worked out but I feel bad for the Navy seal who died.i hope people learn a lesson from doing stuff like this in the future
I don't believe in "over government" but... if we listen to the reports it wasn't one of those "visiting caves" e.g one can walk around and explore, not crawl on your belly! Close the cave up!!

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
They now have seven kids out with 100% success. This shows excellent planning which covered all possibilities and contingencies.

Hard to believe they went 2.5 miles in.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
They now have seven kids out with 100% success. This shows excellent planning which covered all possibilities and contingencies.

Hard to believe they went 2.5 miles in.
... that is what I am getting at. I am glad this story has a positive outcome. I want folks to think it could have been avoided and it could have had a different ending. Lessons learned. One life was too much. May he RIP :)

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
I am glad they are coming out. The MAJOR question is WTF were they doing so deep if the graphics are accurate?

It has been reported many times that when they went in the cave it was dry and no rain in sight. The monsoon doesn't normally start this early and after they were in the rains started and flooded the cave entrance. As the water continued to come in the coach took the team further and further in to escape the water.

From all accounts this coach did an excellent job keeping these kids alive!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
"From all accounts this coach did an excellent job keeping these kids alive!" -MT
this all the way,man
he was presented with extraordinary circumstances and more than rose to the occasion by keeping everyone safe and sane
did you know he used to be a monk who moved to the city to take care of his sick grandmother*
he sounds like a very good guy and kind of took on a father figure role for a lot of these boys
after what they have been through i bet he keeps in touch with these kids for the rest of his life

*a good washinton-post article about the cave rescue https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/he-loved-them-more-than-himself-how-a-25-year-old-former-monk-kept-the-thai-soccer-team-alive/2018/07/07/b4100076-815e-11e8-b3b5-b61896f90919_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5fd28f38340f

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Mission accomplished.

All 13 are out safely.

Well done, Divers, Support, Volunteers, Cooks, Ambulance, Helicopter....

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
It has been reported many times that when they went in the cave it was dry and no rain in sight. The monsoon doesn't normally start this early and after they were in the rains started and flooded the cave entrance. As the water continued to come in the coach took the team further and further in to escape the water.

From all accounts this coach did an excellent job keeping these kids alive!
:( must have missed that part. Thanks for the clarification :tiphat:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Someone has to be the arse so here I go:

People who choose to do stupid shit, to prove how brave or adventurous they are, whether her it's climbing Everest, or sailing the seas in a little yacht, or crawling through cave systems, should not then expect others to put their lives on the line when they fuck it up. You take the risk, you pay the price.
How much did this cost? How many more lives could be saved in the winter by getting homeless people warehouses to shelter from the elements. So many ways to save people who didn't do something stupid, why save the idiots. Darwinism has its place.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Valid point GMT.

I must say what an incredible effort put in to save these kids. Amazing job!

Glad everyone is safe!

pinkus

Veteran
Agreed, of course there are plenty of people who love to cave dive for fun, it's called spelunking.

I would try it out if I was with a crew that knew what they were doing. Seems like it would be fun.

spelunking is just cave exploring, cave diving is a type of spelunking but not all spelunking is cave diving.

caliprop215

Veteran
Someone has to be the arse so here I go:

People who choose to do stupid shit, to prove how brave or adventurous they are, whether her it's climbing Everest, or sailing the seas in a little yacht, or crawling through cave systems, should not then expect others to put their lives on the line when they fuck it up. You take the risk, you pay the price.
How much did this cost? How many more lives could be saved in the winter by getting homeless people warehouses to shelter from the elements. So many ways to save people who didn't do something stupid, why save the idiots. Darwinism has its place.
These are kids who were learning about natural wonders of our world.being good kids staying out of trouble

Not drunks and druggies tryin to get their next fix. They fucked their lives up.f the homeless thats their choice they homeless. They could change it if they wanted to but no

The kids were being kids and learning.

2 completely dif situations and never should be compared

Glad all the children are out and ok!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Caliprop, what an awful chap you must be. You have written off millions of people with an uninformed far right extremist point of view. No compassion or empathy, let alone knowledge of the subject that you choose to rant about. If you sounded at all intelligent, I would have assumed that you used the word druggie on a cannabis web site with tongue in cheek irony, but I suspect you to merely be a dumb hypocrite. What a pity that your environment hasn't given you a greater insight into the issue or that your parents didn't give you the genes necessary for rational thought!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
These are kids who were learning about natural wonders of our world.being good kids staying out of trouble

Not drunks and druggies tryin to get their next fix. They fucked their lives up.f the homeless thats their choice they homeless. They could change it if they wanted to but no

The kids were being kids and learning.

2 completely dif situations and never should be compared

Glad all the children are out and ok!

If they were staying out of trouble they wouldn't have found themselves in it.

Wake up.

Homeless aren't necessarily there by choice either.

And drunks and druggies make up much of your audience....

So by all means do go on...

Green Squall

I heard that the reason it took so long to get them out is because they stumbled upon the entrance to the hollow earth and the international community was trying to keep it under wraps.