What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat auto watering

What a great thread! Just stumbled upon it this morning,read it all the way through,bookmarked it and will be referring to it again. I am going to change over to coco in smart pots and hope these emitters will work for me. More research is needed to make sure but so far I am very enthusiastic about using them.

Hope this thread continues.

Respect bass

What a great thread! Just stumbled upon it this morning,read it all the way through,bookmarked it and will be referring to it again. I am going to change over to coco in smart pots and hope these emitters will work for me. More research is needed to make sure but so far I am very enthusiastic about using them.

Hope this thread continues.

Respect bass

I have a friend who runs Canna coco/nutes in 1 gal smart pot's with Blumat's. Looked good yesterday!

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Better Growth

Better Growth

I have been giving this a bit of thought, I think one reason B/M plants grow better is by keeping the media uniformly moist, the dry zone at the top of the pot and the wet zone at the bottom are minimized.:blowbubbles:

Just a thought,
SD :tiphat:

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Does anyone know if it is a problem to have the res higher up, like 2 and a half feet? Will it cause too much pressure? I am assuming it is taken care of by the adjustment on the blumat. I am using a 5 gallon res.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Does anyone know if it is a problem to have the res higher up, like 2 and a half feet? Will it cause too much pressure? I am assuming it is taken care of by the adjustment on the blumat. I am using a 5 gallon res.
You'll be fine.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I have been giving this a bit of thought, I think one reason B/M plants grow better is by keeping the media uniformly moist, the dry zone at the top of the pot and the wet zone at the bottom are minimized.

Just a thought,

SD
SD

I believe that you're correct. I've never bought into the process of letting the soil dry out and then hydrating. That's not how it's done in commercial nursery operations. Soil is maintained within a constant range that doesn't include letting the soil dry out.

That's why these Blumat units are a very interesting product from a number of perspectives not the least of which is plant health and vigor.

CC

compost

I have a 27 gallon rubbermaid tub I am growing in and want to use these. The tub is about 30 inches by 18 and about 18 deep. The plant is a monster in its 7th day of 12/12 how many blumats and extras should I purchase for her? Any help would be great :)

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I have a 27 gallon rubbermaid tub I am growing in and want to use these. The tub is about 30 inches by 18 and about 18 deep. The plant is a monster in its 7th day of 12/12 how many blumats and extras should I purchase for her? Any help would be great :)

From blumat site, (I would NOT USE the slave drippers!)

1 Tropf-Blumat waters a surface area of about 20 - 25 cm diameter.
The number of Tropf-Blumats required is almost entirely independent of the number of plants being watered, however, the horizontal distribution of water in the substrate can vary. (Therefore, it is important to pay particular attention to the quality of the potting soil being used!)
Length of balcony boxes Tropf-Blumats required Combination of Tropf-Blumat + distributor drip
100 cm 4 possible, however not suggested
80 cm 3 possible, however not suggested
60 cm 2
Planter Ø Tropf-Blumats required Combination of Tropf-Blumat + distributor drip
up to 25 cm 1
from 25 - 40 cm 2 1 Tropf-Blumat with 2-3 distributor drippers
from 40 - 50 cm 3 2 Tropf-Blumats each with 2-4 distributor drippers

Tropf-Blumat or Distributor Dripper?
Fewer Tropf-Blumat units are needed when the more quickly installed distributor drippers are used. However, a word of warning, they have higher maintainance requirements! To be on the safe side, large containers should have at least two Tropf-Blumats plus distributor drippers.

Good luck!
SD
SD

Lone Wolf

Veteran
wow i cannot seem to find these anywhere! i run about 100+ plants, it seems like its gonna cost me an arm and a leg to go this route, but it seems so phenomenal...

anyone have any good links? i havent read through this thread too much, laptops about to die.. i will be back soon to read it though, hopefully someone can give me a link to a spot to buy them in bulk!

Lapides

Veteran
For bigger orders, I've always ordered them direct from Austria at www.blumat.info. I shopped for HOURS and pretty much the only places that carried them in North America wanted to rape me.

If you hand water more than 50 plants even, these things are worth the investment. I will NEVER hand water my plants again. I can't do it as well as the blumats do it...and SOO much easier.

Would these work for multi-tiered shelving systems ??

... 5 shelves , one above the other , up to 6'6" at its tallest ??

Would you have to have multiple reservoirs stacked up on crates 3+ feet off the floor ??

Boy-oy-oy-oing :D

Reservoir has to be atleast 6 inches higher than the emiters , right ??

Is there a point at which they are TOO far away ??

thanks SD

I think that tub/plant is big enough for a Blumat Maxi.

Lapides

Veteran
Boy-oy-oy-oing :D

Reservoir has to be atleast 6 inches higher than the emiters , right ??

Is there a point at which they are TOO far away ??

thanks SD

For every 10 meters of main feeding line, the rez needs to be 1 meter above the drippers. So if you have 35 FEET of feeding line, your rez needs to be 3.5 feet above.