What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aint much but its something...

Lathus

Sorry to hear about that man. I think you have a good plan and there is no doubting your effort here. Inspecting your plants thoroughly is a huge plus to your grow resume imo. Props and good luck

Thanks brother, Ive put a lot of effort in my garden this year and hopefully more this winter to prep for next year so I won't have to do quite so much during the grow and focus on feeding/watering.

The night that I found the rot, I sprayed them thoroughly with a hydrogen peroxide spray and then a couple hours later I sprayed with a baking soda mix. I burned a few hairs around where I found the bud rot but they are fine. I haven't found anything new thankfully, I have also noticed there haven't been anymore caterpillars or worms that I normally find crawling around.
Im wishing against odds that they will make it till at least the first week of October.

I will hit them this morning with some more molasses and then tomorrow with probably the last round of nutes.

The 707 headband had a branch reaching out from underneath the plastic and caught a lot of rain, I found it broken off and laying on the ground. It was a smaller branch thankfully but prob would = 1/2 o after dried. I grabbed it rinsed it off a bit and then trimmed it, waiting on it to dry now.
blimburn says the Grandaddy purp should be done middle to end of September so I probably will only hit it with some molasses and thats it.
I'll throw up some pics a little later today.

Ive been watching Hurricane Irma updates and looks like the southeast is going to take a direct hit. I'm a little worried about my plants. Either the wind or the rain will do some damage around me. I'll update after its blown through.

Last edited:

Junk

Thanks brother, Ive put a lot of effort in my garden this year and hopefully more this winter to prep for next year so I won't have to do quite so much during the grow and focus on feeding/watering.

The night that I found the rot, I sprayed them thoroughly with a hydrogen peroxide spray and then a couple hours later I sprayed with a baking soda mix. I burned a few hairs around where I found the bud rot but they are fine. I haven't found anything new thankfully, I have also noticed there haven't been anymore caterpillars or worms that I normally find crawling around.
Im wishing against odds that they will make it till at least the first week of October.

I will hit them this morning with some more molasses and then tomorrow with probably the last round of nutes.

The 707 headband had a branch reaching out from underneath the plastic and caught a lot of rain, I found it broken off and laying on the ground. It was a smaller branch thankfully but prob would = 1/2 o after dried. I grabbed it rinsed it off a bit and then trimmed it, waiting on it to dry now.
blimburn says the Grandaddy purp should be done middle to end of September so I probably will only hit it with some molasses and thats it.
I'll throw up some pics a little later today.

Ive been watching Hurricane Irma updates and looks like the southeast is going to take a direct hit. I'm a little worried about my plants. Either the wind or the rain will do some damage around me. I'll update after its blown through.

Bummer man. I hope you manage to escape it this time.

Lathus

Bummer man. I hope you manage to escape it this time.

Thanks! Its been two days so far and nothing else. Like I sad before I burned a lot of hairs cause I hit them with high doses of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Ill keep an update.
As of now I'm worried about Hurricane Irma as its making a bee line to my house lol

redlaser

Veteran
Man, hope Irma falls apart a bit at least before it comes closer. Ived lived in Florida in the Naples area, can remember heading north as a hurricane was getting close, passing schools that were open in the middle of the night as shelters. Nothing like Irma though.

We have fires out here, some big but mostly smaller, and since it's expected there are quick responses to new fires. Had an acre fire a mile away a couple weeks ago.

Sounds like you are getting a grip on the caterpillars, it takes vigilance and a good eye to see them because some are quite small. I usually find the poop first or a dying bud or leaf. I believe the rot you see is from 'piller damage, the pillers eat and cut off water/nutrient flow to that part that died. The poop causes rot as well. Around here it's cabbage moths laying eggs that turn into the worms. You can get ahead of them by applying BT ( bacillus thuriigensis), it's in Monterey spray and others. It's better used before the moths start laying eggs, early to mid summer. OMRI listed bacteria. Kind of late to use now.
Anyway, good luck on the storm, sounds like you'll
need it.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
way to go brother
it looks like you are doing a great job

your plants look really nice and you can see the care you put into your garden
nice seed selection too,btw
some good variety and flavors in the mix, how did you end up choosing these ones to grow?
they make this stuff called shade cloth that would work better that the plastic
the plastic dosent breath and can create a green house effect so its not a good choice for shade
sucks about the hoppers'
those suckers will wipe you out overnight and the tend to move around a lot, so even if you can kill the ones in your garden, you still have others from the surrounding area to deal with
i understand how it feels to want to grow the best, but any plant seen to harvest is golden in my book
it seems like you are on the right track as far as learning how to optimize your grow and ICMag is a great resource
read all you can, listen to the advice of others and enjoy your time in the garden
/oh and ditch the miracle grow

Lathus

Man, hope Irma falls apart a bit at least before it comes closer. Ived lived in Florida in the Naples area, can remember heading north as a hurricane was getting close, passing schools that were open in the middle of the night as shelters. Nothing like Irma though.

We have fires out here, some big but mostly smaller, and since it's expected there are quick responses to new fires. Had an acre fire a mile away a couple weeks ago.

I'll know every day as it gets closer but so far in my area they are calling for 40mph sustained winds with 60mph gusts.... Which will not be good for the plastic covering or the plants. I'll be bringing down the plastic once it gets here, my girls are surrounded buy large trees that I'm hoping will really break up the wind.

Mother Nature is a bitch sometimes, be safe out there!

way to go brother
it looks like you are doing a great job

nice seed selection too,btw
some good variety and flavors in the mix, how did you end up choosing these ones to grow?
they make this stuff called shade cloth that would work better that the plastic
the plastic dosent breath and can create a green house effect so its not a good choice for shade

Thanks! Im pretty excited about them!
Honestly, I bought them from a Seedbank, I was looking for the LSD's due to mold resistance and I got the others for freebies and I was happy when I realized what I was getting.
Yeah I know about shade cloth but I was running super low on funds and I needed a way to cover them as there were birds flying in the air with possible prying eyes. Its cheap painters plastic but has worked well so far. They pretty much vegged under full sun the whole time. I'm going to build a bonafide greenhouse this winter. I'll prob start a thread about it.
I've noticed the greenhouse effect. I have two decent sized fans running 24/7 under it moving air around. I try to do everything I can to keep the humidity down, like not watering on days when theres a heavy rain etc

Lathus

The granddaddy purp is very close to done, a couple more weeks and it'll be done.
I took a snip from it and tested it out yesterday. It was pretty damn good. Got through 1/4 of a J and had to put it down cause I felt it coming on. Then it got harder. It was mostly in my head, happy go feeling and then just before coming down it moved to my body and damn I wanted a nap lol.

What does George Thorogood say? "You know when your mouth is getting dry your plenty high"
The cotton mouth wasn't bad but I could tell for sure.

Lathus

Harvesting preparations have begun.
I received a couple spring loaded trim scissors that I purchased from Amazon. Ive had them I the past and I like them so I'm sticking with them.
I have a space set up that will have strings strung across the room with a rotating fan and a dehumidifier.
I dont want to flash dry it but because I've had a bout with bud rot and PM I don't want anything to start up.
I'm still researching ways to cure it as best I can before I put the product out.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
sweet brother!
way to go on bringing home your first crop
/or have you grown before? sorry

i like the spring loaded scissors too
it sounds like you have a lot of trimming to do and believe me, your hands will thank you

you definitely want to avoid flash drying unless you start encountering problems with mold
but with a dehumidifier and fan going you should be ok
just keep in mind the slower the better, you want to dry to a point and then slow things way down to preserve the aroma and flavors

Lathus

sweet brother!
way to go on bringing home your first crop
/or have you grown before? sorry

i like the spring loaded scissors too
it sounds like you have a lot of trimming to do and believe me, your hands will thank you

you definitely want to avoid flash drying unless you start encountering problems with mold
but with a dehumidifier and fan going you should be ok
just keep in mind the slower the better, you want to dry to a point and then slow things way down to preserve the aroma and flavors

Yeah thanks!
This will technically be my 2nd harvest. I've done a pretty successful indoor grow, And Ive thought about going back to that but outdoor yield is pretty nice.
I had a pound from indoor and yes those spring loaded scissors made a real difference.

My plans are to wet trim on the stems and hang them for maybe 2 days to dry and then I'll cut them off the stems and put them in Tupperware or mason jars to finish out curing.

Lathus

Irma update

Irma update

My section of the southeast thankfully didn't take a direct hit but we still got a lot of wind and rain oh the rain....

So the tarps over the plants got ripped half way off in the middle of the night, I noticed this morning at about 7am.
In the pouring as rain I went out and was able to fix and re-tie down the tarps. Since it rained all night long they all got watered very well but that rain water was weighing down a lot of branches that weren't tied up. Thankfully nothing broke!
But the tarp being peeled back took out two main colas on the top of one of my LSD's so I trimmed them up.
I looked at the trichomes under a scope and I would say the plant as a whole needs another 3 weeks. The cloudy trichomes were about 70%
So I'll see how these smoke once they are dry.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
lookin great,brother
those are some nice sample buds
even after the shrink, they will yield some nice fat hits for sure
plus being picked so young, the high will be very different than the weed you are probably used to smoking
toke up and enjoy man, you ahve earned it for sure

a lb indoors is not bad!
how many watts were you running and what medium were you growing in?
i like keeping an indoor garden going year round
is there any reason why you wouldent run the lights once it gets to winter where you are at?

Lathus

lookin great,brother
those are some nice sample buds
even after the shrink, they will yield some nice fat hits for sure
plus being picked so young, the high will be very different than the weed you are probably used to smoking
toke up and enjoy man, you ahve earned it for sure

a lb indoors is not bad!
how many watts were you running and what medium were you growing in?
i like keeping an indoor garden going year round
is there any reason why you wouldent run the lights once it gets to winter where you are at?

Thanks brother, I'll try them in a couple of days.

Yeah my very first grow was actually 15 o's but close enough to a pound. I was running GSC from BCBud, it was a hydro setup. I used those black rock wool trays with a rock wool slab in them and a 4" rock wool cube sitting on top for each plant. I started with 20 regular seeds ended with 13 females, I was pretty happy about that. I built them and awesome room in my garage that was climate controlled like the house. They flourished and then (because I was renting) the home owner wanted to sell the house and kicked us out basically. I had to move the plants in the middle of flower all standing 4 ft tall in the back of a damn Uhaul truck across town to my new rental and let them finish there. The room was nothing like it was and it showed. They stressed pretty hard but I took good care of them and they still gave me 15 O's. Wasn't a bad run at all for my first go. And it was some super awesome smoke.
I'm not against doing it again for sure, its about money and time. I'm leaning towards doing it again but shortening the veg time so it'll be faster return. Dunno I'll have to make up my mind soon. I own my house now and I have a perfect place for it lol.... so all signs are pointing to yes.

Lathus

The good the bad and the ugly

The good the bad and the ugly

Well today is the day for the GDP, I think its as far as its going to go. It looks good and looks like its going to give me 5-6 o's.
The bad? I found a lot more bud rot. I know its been out there floating around just waiting for the moment to strike. I believe that Hurricane Irma stressed them out pretty good and our humidity has been through the roof since. The GDP got a couple small nugs cut off and destroyed last night. Probably = to about 1/4 oz so I'm lucky there but I have one LSD plant that (if you look in my posts) got a couple of colas knocked off. It got stressed the most I believe and I had to cut off about 7-8 places or rot. That probably = to 1-2 oz. If that one keeps giving off rot then I'll have to chop it approximately 3 weeks early.
The others seem fine, so hopefully they'll make it the rest of the time.

Lathus

Harvesting Harvesting Harvesting.
I'm not weighing anything wet so I don't know where I'm at now but, things are looking good. Some of these colas are hefty.
I have a basement full of strings and branches hanging. The house fucking reaks! in a good way lmao.
So far I've gotten 3 plants down with one more that is ready now. I have 4 more that will need at least another week so I'll keep an eye on those.
I'll post pics soon.