What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

depression and anxiety

I know all to well about the awful relationships between so many MDs and pharmaceutical manufacturers out there! I personally dealt with more than 5 cardiologists over the years, and they were nothing but pill pushers! Finally, I found a good one, and also a good primary, took me off all my meds except one.

Unfortunately the burden is left to the patient in order to find out what's best for his/her benefit.

igrowone

Veteran
depression is a real killer, and that's literal, take a peek at the health stats on it, not good
in my experience, MJ can hurt/help, which i guess is like most medications
but compared to some of the big pharma poisons? it's not even close
we've barely scratched the surface on MJ's potential use in this illness

i grow

I've delt with the panic attacks and anxiety the last 5 years and it is surely no fun. Never had one before in my life till 5 years ago and with that started getting really sick. Night sweats, seizures, heart palpatations, brain fog, almost like an impendable sence of doom would wash over me!
After 2 years of suffering not knowing what was causing all the issues!
The cause you ask? LYMES DISEASE
I had it 2 years before they finally figured it out!
IG

S

SooperSmurph

Unfortunately anyone who thinks too much becomes anxious, the world sucks, and afterwards you become depressed.

How you choose to handle it is key.

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
Unfortunately anyone who thinks too much becomes anxious, the world sucks, and afterwards you become depressed.

How you choose to handle it is key.

I'm doing a lot better I feel. I've been going over things a lot to my head and something just kinda clicked. I am so tired of all the anxiety and worrying. I basically just said to myself, "I dont care if I die from the anxiety somehow, I have to live life and get through this shit"

I've still been getting anxious, but I'm not letting it take over or win anymore. The more anxious something makes me, the more determined I am now (more than ever) to actually do it and go through it. Getting better everyday. Been having some serious depressive swings, but not letting them get to me either. I just force myself through everything. I'm old and wise enough now to know that everything always changes. If I can't stand how I'm feeling right now, it most certainly will change, sooner if not later.

I'm kind of looking it as building up muscle or endurance. I'm barely lifting the bar alone right now, but in months, years, I'll be throwing multiple 45's up and over my head into the air. My outlook has changed greatly. Much more optimistic, it's the only way for me to not be such a cynical ass and judge everything.

I feel I am really starting to just accept things for what they are. It's been said to me a million times before; It is what it is. I am finding a whole new meaning and inner peace coming to accept and embrace that. I dont need to worry or feel scared when I'm ok with how everything is, and don't feel I need to fix everything. I just have to be, and it's working out very nice. It's all in how you choose to see it, I see that now. If you want bad it sure as hell is gonna be bad. If you want good, you can find and make the good. It's not always easy, but for me, it's the only way :biggrin:

Thanks to everyone for stopping by and sharing. This really is a great place!

:thank you:

p.s. no xanax in 3 weeks today! Feeling markedly better, not so disoriented. That is some nasty stuff to be on for years, ugh..

Last edited:
All such great posts and read the whole thread and just reading it helps. The more positive I can be and think the better and yes a real trial dealing with so many negatives to dwell on. It is a choice and I must choose what to think purposely or my mind will start overthinking, worrying etc. Can be hard to catch yourself in bad thoughts and is a daily battle. Staying in the present day battles is enough of its own. I have learned alot in life, but with what I have seen and heard I can never go back and change and am forever scarred though I do believe God does forgive and he does help. Meditation on what is good and pure and freeing the mind is a journey only a few take and even less reaching the actual destination.
Regarding any man made pill or any meds be careful always. Lawyers now have commercials regarding suing over zoloft and many others. I was addicted to Klonopin and seen many others to many different pills. My own mom popped zanex, but cried when I tried to explain about weed and its benefits, she is so brainwashed and thinks me a druggie sadly. I will never take addictive pills again and weed won't kill you. The right kind of herb is very important and many times have no choice and it does make me more anxious, even angry. The Panama from Ace seeds, red pheno, is great for my PTSD and very relaxing and laugh alot. Relying on anything too much isn't good other than water and good food. I do like a little good Indica hash when things are bad, but could see getting to addicted to it. Balance is the key with everything and trying to find your unique balance as one size doesn't fit all. Great thread and remember there is always hope. I had 2 good friends, 1 family commit suicide from depression and they saw no way out even though one was rich monetarily. Being truly rich comes from within and I believe God helped me with inner peace. I know this is true for me and thankful to be alive after the shit I went thru in life and most due to alcohol and heavy drugs and very bad people. I have made amends where I could, but guilt and shame will still try to haunt me and they know now that they have no place in my mind unless I allow and I don't. Weed is the only thing I now medicate with and have quit before and for years. I now realize I need certain types and think cbd concentrates and the like can help in serious cases, but like anything not to be abused, like wine. I had to mention God and not to offend anyone or bring up the matter, but I know personally that I would be dead already and thankful to Jesus for helping me see the truth and for dying for me when I didn't deserve it. I believe man, Not God, was and is the problem.
peace... :tiphat:SR

-I wanted to note that the best medicine is free and works wonders for depression; laughter. Take daily, especially on bad days. Meditation and getting alone is needed sometimes if surrounded constantly by negative people etc. Call me nuts but I will laugh all to myself and try to think of funny stuff deliberately when stressed and helps, though others may not be so amused.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
Brilliant post speed racer and everyone TBH. yes laughter is so important it's a massive part of why we are social animals at all, to help us deal with bad times, lonely animals in the zoo die early don't they? their whole biology and life force energy loses the very will to be.. people are always now hating on our own species but we are a beautiful animal with so much capacity for good and able to carry burdens and responsibilities that are the very thoughts of god, to nurture and love because it is right, that is our choice..

The pills just help ruin your gut though which is one part of the reason why it takes so much longer to "recover" if it is at all possible with the definition being no longer needing the "medicine" and that never happens.

Even as a child i knew western medicine was ruining the biological systems it was professing to be prolonging. With time and a lot of experience i began to see it was because it tragically breaks down the whole into sections to fix them alone as though that can work and it cannot and does not work, it has a longer lasting temporary relief for some with refined chemicals alone but all you have done is kick away part of your functioning system and replaced it with a crutch, the holistic system cannot heal unless it is healed as a whole without any crutches impeding the symphony.

western science dissects and cuts and lasers and burns it out of you with radiation, then doses you up with pills that kill your liver, somewhere we went dreadfully dreadfully wrong and america is the worst place in the entire world for wrongly over prescribing it's population. Also the worst for gut rotting GMOs as well..

The rate of auto immune and gut disease/ cronic fatigue like symptoms and related diseases(crohns etc) is sky rocketing as the environmental pollutants and poor processed food is acting on the genetics of the population. epigenetics are hereditory, meaning your DNA is responding to and genes being switched on and off by the environment that your body is in, those changes are passed on to your children which manifest in a multitude of testable scenarios, it turns out a hyper sensitivity is appearing more and more as immuno fuction is getting so poor.

all these anxiety depression causing conditions are essentially completely isolated to northern climates and western diets, because our diets and medicine is cronically backwards and upside down. What we have is a half truth at best..

Best cure is treat your body like you should treat your plants, organically,, always promoting a healthy happy gut fauna, not shocking and spiking your body with sudden massive intakes of processed sugar or red meat.. just nice and easy, be a hippy and pocket mulch sit back let the microbes do the work they love you.

relic1981

Veteran
Relic, I just came across your thread and haven't had time to read half the posts, so if I mention something that's already been discussed, I appologize...Aside from looking into cannabis for your anxiety, can you tell me if you monitor your blood pressure readings, in addition to your pulse rate? If you do, what are the average readings? If you don't, then it's time you should!

I'm saying this because I have hypertension and I suffered from panic attacks in the past, and hypertension has a lot to do with panic disorders. In my experience, I cannot count how many times I have been in the ER due to chest pains. all of these, showed no results from a heart attack, even CT scans and stress tests came up negative. What it did reveal, was that my blood cholesterol was high, and that I was overweight. So, I changed my diet to mostly vegetarian, and I have shaved off some weight already, and am already improving in health. I won't say that I am cured, but my panic attacks are far less often now; but that's my situation, anyways.

Also, one thing is true about blood cholesterol leading to hypertension...you don't have to be overweight! In fact, smokers are much more prone to it, and a lot comes down to what people eat.

good point there. a few years ago i did go out and get a home blood pressure and pulse cuff thing. my blood pressure is usually hi but i did have bloodwork done recently (6months ago) and it came back perfect so i dont have high colestoral, luckily. and my dr hasnt mentioned anything about me having hypertension but i do know my mom has high colesterol problem she has to take medicine for. so... u may be onto something. my average reeding for pulse is usually in the high 90's low 100's and blood pessure is usuall about 130 over 80.

side note, so i was having a really hard time sleeping for the past few years and recently went about a week with about 3 hours of sleep each nite so i went to the dr and she perscribe amitriptilyn (sp?) and it not only has stopped the insomnia but i find i dont have to take my anxiety meds as much. just thought that was interesting. anyone else have experience with this or am i crazy?

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
Nope you're sane. That kind of thing is really common.. The reasons why things like that happen are not understood very well though because the actual mode of action of a lot of these sorts of drugs isn't even fully documented, they just tested it amongst thousands of analogues and found it worked. We are their guinea pigs, or lab rats i'm afraid and it's only the profit margin the pharmaceutical corps care about because they are owned by "share holders" ..

Relic, you should be taking something for that high pulse rate. With your heart rate in the high 90's & up, it's no wonder you are prone to panic attacks; in addition to, wearing out your heart. Normal readings should be 60-80 bpm, whether or not your bp is in the norm. Please go check out a cardiologist, it should be simple in your case, because there are many cheap generics out there for just tweaking heart rate, (ace inhibitors).

Trust me, you will feel waaay better and more relaxed, and you will sleep better too; and eventually, may be able to wean you off those anti-depressants down the road. Do it!

S

SooperSmurph

Every few years, I need a whole lot of Xanax.

Why? Many reasons, but long story short i've been having full on panic attacks since the age of 4, and around the age of 23, hugs, reassurances, and weed just stopped being enough.

I take a lot of them over a short period, I usually develop a habit I have to break, but afterwards, my head is cleared of that "creeping dread" and I can go on with my life for another few years before my next incident.

I've tried many things to calm myself, including engaging in pleasurable activities, only to have those activities ruined by my anxieties.

It's a fight that never ends, be strong.

Last edited:

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
I'm actually prescribed Propranolol(Inderol) as well. I've just been taking that, it works very well for my racing heart. I have low blood pressure sometimes, so I have to be careful with it since it also lowers your blood pressure. Other than that it works really well. Makes the anxiety much more manageable when your heart isnt going 160. Non narcotic, it's a beta blocker. Very cheap too. 3 month supply at costco with no insurance for about $10

igrowone

Veteran
i take a beta-blocker myself, metoporol, which makes a big difference in blood pressure at a low dose
had been taking nadolol, another beta-blocker which worked very well for a number of years
then last year there was a huge jump in the insured price, from $10 to over $100
the big obama insurance change you know, anyhow that's when i switched
to the point, my depression symptoms took a big step down with that change
all beta-blockers have the potential side effect of depression!

relic1981

Veteran
I agree with b8man. If you want to use cannabis for treating anxiety and/or depression, use it as a tool for introspection. Do some deep searching and find out what is causing these ticks, then address them sober. Keep yourself in the present moment.

It also helps to exercise, eat well, keep the booze to a minimum, and stay active in your day to day. Find a purpose for yourself, many people feel lost without a sense of worth.

Make sure you're getting enough healthy fats from things like hemp seeds, chia, lecithin. These keep your brain operating well, insulating the nerves, preventing crossed signals. Proper digestion is also a key to the proper function of the rest of your body, brain included.

Yoga, and an herbal tea blend of Eleuthero, Gingko, Gotu, St. John's Wort, and Tulsi will work wonders.

Good luck.

well said! i think of cannabis as a miracle plant with mystical aspects taking me to a higher plane. its funny people say cut back on cannabis but its the only thing that works! it has literally save dmy life many times over!

christin122

I agree with b8man. If you are trying to use cannabis for treating depression, then make sure you are using it in the right way.

Latest posts

Latest posts