What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Pre-Soviet" Afghani Question

I

indicalover

Hey Tiedye, it is awesome to see people such as yourself keeping the old indicas going. Grow on brother!

C

Chamba

excellent reading! ...this thread reminds me of Overgrow on a good day....

spicecowboy

Sativa/Indica

Sativa/Indica

Well, "Indica" and "Sativa" are nothing more than terms.

I grew out some beans called "Sativa Kush", sent to me during the good old OG times (RIP OG)..

I got one female(ot should I say shemale?- produced a few strange bananas during later bloom..)

This plant grew tall and wide, stretched a lot during flowering and had only a few dark coloured leaves.

The buds have a high flower to leaf ratio, but are pretty small and not compact.

The budleaves and even parts of some fanleaves are covered in big trichomes.

The smell/taste is medicinal, aetheric, earthy and soapy.

The turn is a creeper.

Wait a few minutes until it takes over your body and finally freezes your brain.

Ideal for a lazy summer day,- nice after dinner smoke.

Smoke a decent amount of that, and you may turn out speechless, just gazing at your environment, but with a calm, warm and comfort feeling inside.

This stuff can even become trippy and visual, depending on set and setting, - but nevertheless, the comedown is allways sleepy, and can even become narcotic.

I can´t offer any pictures of this so called "Sativa Kush" jet(no digicam).

But I added a picture of Herbaria´s (Swiss seedbank) Shrin Gold, which is a landrace "Indica" from Tadschikistan traditionally use to produce "Churruss" (yes that mean Charras..)

Does this look like an Indica to you?

One Love,

spice

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Friend of mine in China said he often comes across hash from Tajikistan that leaves him unable to communicate or move...sounds like good Afghani. I've personally only smoked black sativa hash from India, Nepal and Pakistan.

zamalito

Veteran
I've been tempted by the shirin gol for a while now. Like parts of uzbekistan and xinjiang pravince of china Tajikistan also used to be part of one of the legendary hash making areas of turkestan. This iprobably about as close as it gets to what the turkestani immigrants brought to afghanistan and what vavilov saw being cultivated for hash. This strain while it more closely fits what we'd call an indica according to what linnaeus defined it is much closer to sativa.

zamalito

Veteran
Wow man, I'm jealous. I don't have a clue how dangerous this might be and you probably know more about the geography of xinjiang province and I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know but if you get a chance to safely go to the area around Shache (aka yarkand 38.15 N 77.15 E) to look for hash and possible seed sources it would be awesome. Also there's another yarkand that's fairly close to the first one mentioned at 36.11 N 76.11 E in extreme northern india on the xinjiang border near kashmir and chitral that shouldn't be confused with yarkand that's actually in xinjiang (is it pronounced szhyin-jyahng?) though they probably also produce fine hash . The people of Yarkand ( or shache, pronounced sha-chuh?) which used to be in turkestan and Samarkand in present day uzbekistan also also used to be part of turkestan between the two of them are the most likely inventors of seived hashish. There are a couple of landrace indicas commercially available from russian turkestan (present day uzbekistan and tajikistan) but none that I'm aware of from chinese turkestan. These are the likely ancestors of the first plants to be labeled indica discovered in northern india by linnaeus (the father of madern botany and creator of modern plant taxonomy). I've read that fine traditional Yarkandi hashish still does occasionally appear in amsterdam but is bought up quickly by those knowledgable of it's history and quality.

G

What an excellent thread. So informitaive. I'm currently on a mission to preserve old school indicas. My focus until my death will concentrate more and more on landraces and pure original varieties. Reading threads like this makes me happy to see others so passionate about it as well. Keep up the good work everybody.

zamalito

Veteran
Someone asked this same question yesterday. So here's a list.

Cannabis in africa, an ethnographic study by Brian M. Du Toit (mid 70's) this book is HUGE and It's full of information. Though some info is incorrect it's very highly recommended. Purchased at local used book store. Hopefully still in print.

Content and context of zulu folk narratives also brian m du toit. A Good read

Cannabis a history Martin Booth newer book recommended

Hashish! Robert Connel Clarke Everything you could ever want to know about the history of hashish but also has lots of info on how to make your own. Very Highly recommended

Latin America and the caribbean lands and peoples cannot remember author

The cambridge illustrated history of medicine by Roy Porter. Very important and well written book to read.

Cannabis Britannica 1800-1928 james h mills
Very thoroughbook on cannabis
Food in history Reay Tannahill 1973

Stalking The Wild Asparagus Euell Gibbons 1962

Another good thing to have is a good world atlas that shows political changes, border changes, ethnicity, topography, culture, soil types, and detailed climate info.

Amazon.com is always good I try to frequent used bookstores. You'll be amazed at what you'll find for 50 cents. In my youth I'd stolen many books from libraries (how I'd gotten my nice atlas and several art books). But that's a terrible unforgiveable thing to do. There's a phrase I hear more and more that scientists know more and more about less and less. And I think its important when studying a specialized subject to not try to bget too specific in what you learn.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love this thread!!
Chaman sends me these pics of my DC selection.....WOW!! what a day maker!!
This is the first DC I´ve ever seen grown in the Tropics!!
Isn´t she beautiful? :D

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
zamalito said:
if you get a chance to safely go to the area around Shache (aka yarkand 38.15 N 77.15 E) to look for hash and possible seed sources it would be awesome. Also there's another yarkand that's fairly close to the first one mentioned at 36.11 N 76.11 E in extreme northern india on the xinjiang border near kashmir and chitral that shouldn't be confused with yarkand that's actually in xinjiang

Well I googled earth both those places, and 36.11N 76.11E is at the base of K2, prettying interesting. Is there a village there? Normally Google earth can zoom in enough to at least make out small buildings or settlements, but i can't see any. Interestingly also is that the same river runs from this location to your other stated location (Shache).
Could you check those quardants(sp??)? The pics on Google Earth look like they were taken during a spring melt, but maybe the village you speak of is still snow covered.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
raco tell chaman he should join here.

tell him we got some good colombian sativa threads up with locals and he should show his.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I'm almost positive that the Chitral Valley is @ 35.829N 71.776

It south of Singour on the Paki Western Front, and northwest of Kuru, again the PWF.

The cordinates for Shache were dead on. If you got more, ill take a look.

I have some Landrace afghanis that can go up to 12 weeks that I have supplied Bodhi with as well. They have a strong turpentine/ammonia smell with a deep green leaf colour. Supposed to be massive yielders. We shall see!

JOJO420

Veteran
I have some old affie lines. M-10, M-27 and Lambskin.The" Lambskin" is also very early Afghanistan, "Pride of Afghanistan". pre '79 from what i was told. I have a Durban Lambskin also. anyone heard of these?