What's new

First time using rock wool cubes.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I use to do DWC but this is the first time I got some rockwool cubes.
I planted some seeds they sprouted. So what's next? can I still do DWC or do I have to do something else to grow them?

I was hoping to use just the rockwool cubes with out any Air stones or pumps. I could hand water them. Any ideas on grow in rockwool the cheapest way but still effective.
Im hoping to grow plants about this size. and only like 2-3 plants at a time. The photo is from google images.

What size cubes are we talking about here?

Hand watering rockwool sucks - especially the smaller cubes as they dry out kind of fast. If you have big mommas or maybe even hugos you can water by hand. Anything smaller and forget about it. Even with Hugos you'll be watering a lot.

You can still do DWC. I have started seeds or clones in rockwool then moved to DWC plenty of times. Just wait until you have solid roots showing and drop it in.

Last edited:

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe get a 1m Rockwool slab to put the cubes on top of for a big flat rootmass area that wont dry out as quick as cubes alone. They are plastic covered and you cut where you want. You can cut X holes on top for the cubes you want and cut drainage holes at one end of bottom of slab.The slab should be raised a few cm at one end for drainage. If they are 3inch or 4inch cubes and no Slab you may need to handwater twice a day as they dry out kwik. The big Hugo 6inch blox may be ok on their own,but loose Rockwool or Mapito in a pot probably works better TBH.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
Maybe get a 1m Rockwool slab to put the cubes on top of for a big flat rootmass area that wont dry out as quick as cubes alone. They are plastic covered and you cut where you want. You can cut X holes on top for the cubes you want and cut drainage holes at one end of bottom of slab.The slab should be raised a few cm at one end for drainage. If they are 3inch or 4inch cubes and no Slab you may need to handwater twice a day as they dry out kwik. The big Hugo 6inch blox may be ok on their own,but loose Rockwool or Mapito in a pot probably works better TBH.

the plants in your pic are being grown in an ebb and flood style

this is perfect for rockwool cubes but not hand watering

the watering schedule is kind of precise, plus you need enough water to fill that tray to a certain level
but hey if you dont mind getting up at 4a to feed the babies go for it
/nah, seriously get a timer and pump

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
the plants in your pic are being grown in an ebb and flood style

this is perfect for rockwool cubes but not hand watering

the watering schedule is kind of precise, plus you need enough water to fill that tray to a certain level
but hey if you dont mind getting up at 4a to feed the babies go for it
/nah, seriously get a timer and pump

What pic? thats Not my pic above ,not my plants,why quote me? not getting ya? :)

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
I use to do DWC but this is the first time I got some rockwool cubes.
I planted some seeds they sprouted. So what's next? can I still do DWC or do I have to do something else to grow them?

I was hoping to use just the rockwool cubes with out any Air stones or pumps. I could hand water them. Any ideas on grow in rockwool the cheapest way but still effective.
Im hoping to grow plants about this size. and only like 2-3 plants at a time. The photo is from google images.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=13084&pictureid=355374]View Image[/URL]

derp!
sorry friend,
i was meaning to quote the OP
/im high brah
/passes the bowl your way!

Latest posts

Latest posts