What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The cycle of life

4tokin

When at school they used to show movies of the life cycles of aboriginals and many different species of animals.
At the time it was quite shocking to see the the beauty and brutality at various stages of life.
Birth,childhood,adolescence,breeding,nurturing,old age and finally death.
How ones opinions of life change through the years.
My nurturing years are coming to an end and for some strange reason I am at peace with what I know lies in front of me.

Last edited:

waveguide

Veteran
epistemology from buddhism:

farmer meets a guy who says "pay me $ and i'll buy you a wife" so the farmer pays the guy.

a year later the guy comes back and says "your wife has had a child, pay more money".

Runt

I´m scared, I´m scared of being in a nursery home. Really. I´m 55 and I´ve beat cancer and whatnot but getting old really frightens me.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Nothing bad about fearing old age and the inevitable. If you scared that
means you feel your life has value.

Write down your thoughts about things from time to time, try new foods
and invest yourself in the people you know. Be genuine, even with your
casual meetings with the coffee house guy or the delivery man.

It all counts, we leave footprints of ourselves in the lives of others.

dddaver

Veteran
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think so, but I REALLY hate being told what I should do or what I SHOULD think. I found that Yahoo! news article about watching family members for dementia very communist like. That is exactly what the communist governments in the 60s told it's citizen's to do, with only just a small minor twist. It went from "watch your neighbor" now to "watch your families". In fact, isn't that watching your family exactly what the Chinese communist government told it's people to do? And I KNOW millions of people saw this "news" article on Yahoo https://www.yahoo.com/health/many-older-adults-dont-seek-help-for-this-103558365907.html. Yahoo is the largest email system on the Internet, so every single person who looked at their email then logged out saw that. ....Rant over. I must be demented. :biggrin:

THAT'S the human circle of life now?

Edit: Checked my statistics, I was right... in 2011. Only 3 years ago :biggrin: But by 2012 gmail went to 1st place with 520 mil users, and Yahoo only had 380 mil users by then, 1 year later. But, you don't default to "news" when you log out of gmail. So my point is still valid...I usually just comb my hair over my point so no can see it, I just forgot to that day. :biggrin: "Brain check"! I'm DEFINITELY demented, but I always was though. How could anyone tell if I had Alzheimer's?

Last edited:

DONAJTHEIII

4tokin and runt like my grandfather told me he's not scared of death and he says tbh he wouldnt want to live on this planet for other 100 years....its getting worse and worse everyday. If you think about it whether you want to believe it or not living for that long of a span is too much for us humans to see It would drive a person insane seeing that much happen over the years and it would eventually get depressing like your kids dying before you. My great grandmother lived until 103 and buried all her 5 children thats something real tough to do imo. I know that it would be nice to live for ever but It would eventually cause chaos too !

Ive always deemed myself as a christian but I really started getting into when I was required in college to take bible courses. I didnt really get into reading the bible and honestly thought it was bullshit with all the churches rubbish. But the more and more I read it and sat down the more and more I got into it. Im not telling anyone to go out and become a priest its your personal choice but I can tell you that I am an educated individual and do my research on all matters before coming to a conclusion especially with something like religion that will be with you for the rest of your life.

Ive looked at tons of different religions and the thing with the bible is that when you really break it down and study it the history inside it is so rich. I got a study bible which really helps break things down and gives you multiple interpretations on the side from various scholars and their opinions on what is being said.

Im not here to convert anyone to Christianity aha im no online JW but I will say that it's kind of hard not to believe it if you really look into it in depth with all thats going on in todays world.

Anyway real cool thread topic ahah

SO with me I just look at this as a passing world onto the next. To think there is nothing with how amazingly engineered our bodies are is kind of hard to believe. I really dont believe we came from gorillas and the monkey family. Our body's were created from something way greater IMO its the most complicated/unique mechanism on this planet and will always be as it wont ever be able to be replicated .

Fear always comes with the unexpected....but I promise everyone that if your a good person that whats in store is unimaginably beautiful.

AJAE

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I haven't ever been scared of dying , now its more about how I will die..with dignity or laying in some hospital bed....I would rather die in the woods alone than in a hospital...

4tokin

Thanks for the insights
Stoned trout I am with you on the dignity.
The only fear I have is that the process will be taken out of my own hands by the do gooders.

waveguide

Veteran
maybe check around about filling out a DNR "do no resuscitate" order. (if you are in danger of being processed by a bureaucracy)

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
user142880_pic1333998_1413666248.jpg

Walt Jabsco

“Each day, we wake slightly altered, and the person we were yesterday is dead. So why, one could say, be afraid of death, when death comes all the time?”
John Updike

Runt

I haven't ever been scared of dying , now its more about how I will die..with dignity or laying in some hospital bed....I would rather die in the woods alone than in a hospital...

I second this. Dignity is not lying in a bed with a diaper. It´s peace, care and warmth. I´ve seen so many people die in nursing homes where they´ve layed long enough to be all but forgotten.

If I have the capability I´ll decide for myself which day I´m leaving this life.

4tokin

There have been some good replies. Thanks.
I have moved on with my families blessings.
The weight has lifted and now that I am with nature I am feeling at one with it.
It feels like a new start.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I´m scared, I´m scared of being in a nursery home. Really. I´m 55 and I´ve beat cancer and whatnot but getting old really frightens me.

keep a loaded pistol close by at all times. you never know. when I can no longer do the things that I love to do (hunt, fish, birdwatch, cook, etc) i'll eat that pistol... my ass aint lying in no fucking hospital bed with folks walking in & out thinking "I wish that old bastard would get it over with...":tiphat:

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree. That would be a shitty way for a family member or friend to find you.

A barbiturate overdose would be quick and easy, like going to sleep. It wouldn't leave a mess behind to traumatize someone else. I wouldn't do it unless it was the logical choice, of course. Having a late stage terminal illness might make it the logical choice.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree. That would be a shitty way for a family member or friend to find you.

A barbiturate overdose would be quick and easy, like going to sleep. It wouldn't leave a mess behind to traumatize someone else. I wouldn't do it unless it was the logical choice, of course. Having a late stage terminal illness might make it the logical choice.

Put a diaper on first, other wise there'll be quite the mess after your bowels empty.

Latest posts

Latest posts