What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

need a good diy for building a small hydro setup for 4 plants.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
the temps are low 80s to mid 70s around the plant. the ph is between 7.3 - 8.0
the plant is under a 150 fluorescent grow light.
most of the time the plant isn't wilting. but as the day goes by it wilts a bit...
there are nice n healthy roots comming out of the bottom of the plant holder. ill get some pix of the roots tomorrow.
I also put changed the water 4 or 5 days ago with a lil bit of superthrive to help with growth.
also I plan on topping the plant soon to help bush it out.

I guess ill just let it keep growing and see what will happen.

5th

Veteran
Your PH is really high dude. Try dropping it to 5.5, let it climb to about 6.2. Then either flush and add new water/nutes or drop the PH again.
150w floro is perfect.

When you say the temps around the plant...I'm guessing the temperature of the water is about the same.
Get some ice packs. Frozen water in plastic pop bottles or something to throw into the res to cool things down. Those healthy roots of your will explode in cooler water.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
See my journal here. I have made a few minor mods but I think you will get how easy it is

jm420

Veteran
7,3-8 ph
theres a big problem right there
as mentioned 5.5-low 6 is the range you want to be in
you want to be running 0-5-10 under floro if your using lucas

Im a little shocked at the calibre of members you have helping you here...

For a "Senior Member" there are a lot of basic mistakes that are being made.
Maybe a little more research is due before you make the switch...
Im sure it would be in your favour to go soiless and get a decent yield, while trying one plant and learning the basics in a bucket or something.

Proper pH range is a very important thing... Read a little more.

highonmt

Veteran
Ya soil and hydro don't mix well the solids in the soil make perfect homes for fungal and bacterial pathogens when saturated. Try using anything inert and small like lava rocks, hydroton,mineral wool insulation, coco coir, even turface etc.

I would purchase a one part nutrient system like flora nova or ionic. Run ph of 5.5-5.8. Ec of .5 to start slowly increase as the plants start going faster, and you will have nothing but joy. Dont start adding extras till you get your grow nailed.

You can fix your current system by adding dutch master zone at 12ml/5gallons and maintaining lots of oxygen with an air pump and air stone.

The three keys to hydro are a 1 a healthy root zone either sterile of dominated by benificial bacteria for beginers at hydro go with the former. 2 an areated root zone eg lots of bubbles from an air pump or waterfall. 3 a balanced nutrient solution at correct ph. Keep trying it is a bit tricky but once you get it all straight you will never buy soil again...well maybe a bit for the house plant. Sending you good karma for getting it all figured out.
HM

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I do use an air pump it has lots of bubbles. also Ill check my ph.
thanks for all ur good info. I may be a Senior Member. but only in soil. I have only done Hydroponics around 4-5 times over a 14 year spann.

But Ill do me best to figure it out. but for a back up plan. I have a few beer cups with top quality soil. so my plan would be to take clones from the beercup plants. once there growing big enought to take clones.

Keep goin

Hey #1,

I will reiterate some of the good advice you have been given here.

First off get something inert for your roots. Hydroton is probably the best, completely re useable material you will find. Get away from soil/soil less that you have the plant in now...that's killing you. That stuff is not made to be saturated constantly.

You had also asked about running your air 24/7, or on with your lights. The key to DWC is O2, the more the merrier. You cut off the air for ANY amount of time...especially daily for 6 hours...you are gonna have DEATH!! DON'T DO IT...!!

Make those two crucial changes and you will have much better results right off the bat.

Good Luck...KG

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
well I did put the pump on 24/7 and the roots r white as show and getting bigger. the plant is also getting greener and bigger. KNOCK ON WOOD as I ALWASE SAY.

tonight I added half strength of the pure blend pro. gro nuts I have to the bucket/water.
also the soil dosen't get saturated at all ever. Ill get a better pix of what I mean by this tomorrow. the roots poke out bottom and grow into the water. plus the plant is only in a shotglass amount of soil.
picture.php

Im just gunna play this grow by ear and see what happens.

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
hmmmm , geezer , if you gonna spend time and energy on a grow you gotta do it by the books if you new .(IMHO , there loads of tried and tested methods , and easy to follow ) , pick one , any.

First , you don't want soil to contaminate you hydro. keep your hydro sterile !!!
I suggest rockwool or hydroton in netpots .

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Ok so the plant was growing too tall so I had to tie it down. so for now what Im doing is still working. also 2 days ago I toped it too.

pix in a few days. I been busy with college n stuff.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Ok so the toping of the plant worked. now i wait for the smaller branchs to grow up to the light. also I tied it down agen to day. so hoping the plant gets good and bushy. most of all I hope I hope the plant is female.

:)

medicalmj

Veteran
I've done just about every hydro system imaginable. And I think I've settled on coco in airpots in a dtw table. Built the table out of 2x4 and plywood wrapped in panda w a 1/2 drain that was from the bubble buckets. Whole thing sits on heavy duty casters so it can move. Got it going to a floor drain. You can hand water or set up drippers. My growth rates are as good as anything w out the BS of rdwc.

Latest posts

Latest posts