What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone remember this device?

anotheroldfart

My friends brother showed me a device that he used to make a marijuana "tincture" using 190 proof grain alcohol as the solvent and it had a "Christmas tree" aluminum tower of decreasing concentric levels on top that condensed the vapor which dropped down into a container at the bottom. A light bulb was the heat source to vaporize the alcohol and the aluminum was designed to contain ice water for the condenser tower levels. My explanation is from memory back to the early to mid 70's but this the best I can do. Does anyone rember what it was called and is it available today?

G

greenmatter

i think they called it the ismonizer/icemonizer or something like that ....... that was a long time and several billion brain cells ago.

good luck

WelderDan

Veteran
ISOMISER

"Turn your SHIT to GOLD!" was the catch phrase used as I recall. There was always an ad in the back of High Times for these. Not sure if they are even made anymore, haven't read a High Times in years. But it was definitely named ISOMISER.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
My friends brother showed me a device that he used to make a marijuana "tincture" using 190 proof grain alcohol as the solvent and it had a "Christmas tree" aluminum tower of decreasing concentric levels on top that condensed the vapor which dropped down into a container at the bottom. A light bulb was the heat source to vaporize the alcohol and the aluminum was designed to contain ice water for the condenser tower levels. My explanation is from memory back to the early to mid 70's but this the best I can do. Does anyone rember what it was called and is it available today?

I remember those. Isomerizer or IS02.

picture.php

My buddy used to have one. Poor guy burnt every batch he ever made. The fuck head didn't know how to make oil. He'd just cook an ounce and sop up the burnt goo with a fraction of the same bag.

tasted just like burnt bowl tar. :puke:

They're not available any longer but one or two go up on Ebay every year or so.

fungzyme

I think it was the Iso2 (?)

If it is, I always wanted one, because one of the claims was you could get woven hemp fiber products (like doormats from India, I guess) isomerize the inactive cannibidiols into active THC and then extract your own pure red honey oil!!

Of course, I was like 13 years old, and also coveted a Phototron too...

Had a boss once who used the isomeriser with indiana ditch hemp. He said it made the best hash oil ever. I remember reading on OG back in the day that for the device to really work, the input had to be garbage hemp.

anotheroldfart

Thanks!

Thanks!

That's it but it isn't available on ebay now. Now that I know what it's called I'll keep looking.

BTW, it does work if used correctly.

G

greenmatter

^^^^^probably better and easier/cheaper ways to do what you are looking to do. lots of extract gurus on IC. look for grey wolf's work ...... that guy could probably tell you how to build what you can't find on e-bay

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I used my ISO 2 for years, it did the job, but it was easy to burn the goods, there was a learning curve. The whole gig with adding acid, and then neutralizing the acid and removing it sucked ass, for little gain. Plain extraction worked fine.

S

SeaMaiden

Hubby just smiled with fond remembrances when I queried, "Honey? Is that your Isomerizer?"

"Yeap! That's exactly it."

I've always wondered just what it looked like, I don't remember ever coming across something like that back then.
I remember those. Isomerizer or IS02.

picture.php

My buddy used to have one. Poor guy burnt every batch he ever made. The fuck head didn't know how to make oil. He'd just cook an ounce and sop up the burnt goo with a fraction of the same bag.

tasted just like burnt bowl tar. :puke:

They're not available any longer but one or two go up on Ebay every year or so.

Jon 54

They used to sell them in High Times magazine back in the late seventies thru the early eighties, its called a isomizer. We used to make oil with it using everclear as a base element. Jon 54 :plant grow::plant grow::canabis::canabis:

S

stratmandu

Man, that brings back memories! A friend had one back in the late 70s, and I made a couple batches in it with Mexi shake. I was a vo-tech student at the time and we rigged up a temp controller to it which worked better. Never could figure out a good way to get the stuff into the little bottles, we'd make a mess on alum foil trying, and then we would just hit it off alum foil with a lighter and a straw and get FUCKED UP. LOL It has a light bulb for a heat source. We just extracted with it, never futzed with the acid to isomerize... I got better at it, doing a water wash first to remove as much clorophyll and solubles, then we'd run it with Everclear. Never got it to "honey", always a green tint, but man it worked good. Good times!

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doobster had one of those..I remember making some black oil that f'd us up but tasted narley. None of my friends, in the early 70s, would smoke the shit I made with it. Don't remember if I gave it away or sold it...as most of my collectables went somewhere for nothing $$. DD

Latest posts

Latest posts