What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1400 watt Bio Bucket grow Purple Trainwreck/Mountain Mix

#9Dream

Easy man. I have 2 rooms going. The smaller room is 4'x4', has a 600w hps, 3 purple trainwrecks and a Joey weed mix. The 10 bucket room growing area is about 4'x8' and has 2 400w hps and 10 mountain mix that are a week behind the 4 bucket room in flowering time. I grew the PTW last time from seed under a light rail with 1 400w light and I was impressed with its taste. Here's a couple pictures of it before harvest. It was topped once and it stretched wide.
9apt.jpg

The bud was very dense and had a nice color.
9aptc.jpg

I have grown the mountain mix before, the first time I vegged it to 8 inches and it grew to 52"
PlanB-936.jpg

This is my 4 bucket room setup. It's actually a recirculating DWC with lavarock and airstones. I only change the res between grows.
9B-001.jpg

The front right bucket is actually a clone of one of the other two. As you can see I've taken a few clones from this one.
9B-005.jpg

The buckets in the larger room are pretty close together so I started flowering at about 12"
9B-165.jpg

The plants in the aerocloner are extras. I put the largest one in soil and I am going to flower it on the side and see how it does along with a joey weed mom that went into full flower in my veg room.
The 4 bucket room went to flower on June 23rd and the 10 bucket on the 29th.
Here is the 4 bucket on day 1 of flower. In hindsight I should of flowered earlier.
9B-121.jpg

They have been growing vigorously, 1"-3" per day.
9B-100.jpg

Here are some recent pics.
9B-226.jpg

9B-254.jpg

They are 45" tall now. I only have about 12" of height left till they reach the ceiling. I had to move my light to the side.
9B-279.jpg

This is what the mountain mix looks like today along with the JW mom and the extra clone in soil.
9B-291.jpg

I was having a problem keeping my reservoirs cool, they were running over 80 degrees. I used ice bottles for a couple weeks and they brought the temps down 5 degrees but it was a hassle so I got a 1/10 hp chiller. I ran insulated 1/2" pipes behind the 10 buckets and through the wall to the chiller outside the room. I connected the output of the chiller to a valve to select the reservoir and I move the pump between the reservoirs. This way I can use one chiller on both systems. This keeps the res temps between 70 and 75 degrees.
chiller.jpg

Is it too late to use Bushmaster on the PTW to keep them from reaching the ceiling?

shaunmulok

Don't drink and drive home, Smoke dope and fly hom
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice setup and awsome buds job well done
peace and big harvests

#9Dream

Days 29 and 22 of flower

Days 29 and 22 of flower

Time for an update. Other than a ph drop to 5.5 and the room temp in the high 80's everything is doing well. It's getting difficult to get into the room with the purple trainwreck.
9B-407.jpg

Just in the last couple days the buds have been showing some early red just as they did last time around.
9B-409.jpg

9B-414.jpg

They stopped stretching at 54".
9B-411.jpg

The mountain mix stretch is slowing and is starting to put on some flowers.
9B-420.jpg

9B-423.jpg

feltonmuggs, thanks for you question. I have 400w lights I try to keep the tops 6 to 8 inches from the bulb which is just 3-4 inches from the glass and enough to keep them from stretching into the light by the next day.

Sleepy

Veteran
wow...

wow...

wow, they look incredible!!

you could bend them over gently...

wow, keep the pics coming!!

feltonmuggs

This is great, I thought perhaps your lights were too far away, but no you have them closer than I would have thought.
Your light must be running ultra cool....are you venting it or anything?

I've never experienced a lot of stretch before...my first experience is actually now with an Island Sweet Skunk that's stretched about 3x when put into flower. I'm going to downgrade the bucket size (i run organic soil at the moment) from 5 to 3 and see if I can limit it's stretch that way before putting closer to light (i run sog so I need even canopy) or using some nutes to stop strecth. GL in the battle!
FM

#9Dream

Days 36 and 29 of flower

Days 36 and 29 of flower

The small room is filling up fast. I had to run some string across the middle, they were tilting forward. Partially due to increased weight and partially due to the back branches pushing away from the wall.
picture.php

They are getting more red but still have new growth.
picture.php

The mountain mix is filling out but not as quickly as I had hoped. I am going to install some new hooks and move the lights to the side to get more light on the canopy.
picture.php

Here is a shot from above.
picture.php

Thanks Sleepy!
FM: The problem with trees is the high cola keeps the light too far from the canopy. Not a problem in SOG. I am going to move the lights so that they are at a 45 degree angle pointing at the base of the cola and switch it to the other side every day. I think this would make the maximum use of my light. Which is vented. I take air from a heating vent intake and blow it outside. In the winter I take outside the room air and blow it into the heating duct.
Livnthadream: Thanks, my chiller turns on above 71 degrees and turns off at 70. It can take the 50 gallon 10 bucket reservoir from 75 to 70 in about 2 hours.

M

masterKahn

That closet is fucking overflowing with buds, a good problem to have. A ScrOG on the room with mountain mix might do wonders for you.

#9Dream

Day 49 and 42 of flower

Day 49 and 42 of flower

picture.php

It's only day 49 and I started flushing the purple trainwreck 2 days ago. I checked the trichomes and they were mostly cloudy. There are a lot of them.
picture.php

The colas form a big bowl of bud around my light.
picture.php

Here is a shot of the buds in the back.
picture.php

Those buds are dense and easy to trim. Each bud has a little skirt of leaves and very few leaves from the bud itself.
picture.php

The mountain mix is packing on bud. The main problem I am having is that the side branches are getting too heavy and sagging further away from the light. I have rigged some support but I can see the advantage of a scrog. I will have to try that next time.
picture.php

picture.php

H

HippyJohnny

Nice to see a bio-bucket in action. Lots of bud from those buckets. Nice job!
I was begining to think it was an urban legend :joint:

Peace

Wfw1

Everything's looking nice, I'm tagging this for sure. I think you'd love putting a screen in, try it in the small room the first time or something and see how it works out for you.

Good luck!

fish83

hello all!

hello all!

hey everyone...love these bio bucket threads...i have a question i am gonna make the biobuckets fro my self under 4-600 watters...my problem is i cant decide to go with less plats and big buckets, or more pleants and smaller buckets..any feedback would be greatly appreciated....

#9Dream

imo four 5 gal buckets per light would be your best bet. You may be able to fit six smaller buckets under one light but you may run into a problem routing the drains for six buckets and the plants will spread out to fill the area under the light in either case. A scrog will give you bigger buds with less popcorn buds but it will take a week or two longer in veg to train them. Good luck with your grow.