What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finland is not Scandinavia.

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
hermanshooltz: Why you have to flame??? Please understand these post´s started with your inaccurate history descriptions:wink:

If you have to throw examples, then throw some recent one´s like the USSR Afghan invasion :fsu Good example that the will of nation goes over arrogant attitude based on volume of troops :wink: Tryed to be nice to you, but I really feel irritated that you have to flame even after you posted false info...

Do some research and check out the amount of massive soviet force´s that tryed to invate this "mind your own biz" country + all the war machines you ancestors had compred to Finlands poor amount of troops & war machines, but still we stopped them.

I got a feeling this is going nasty very soon, which I dont hope! Every one of us can go childish and start to flame/troll, but let´s avoid that by admidding the real history!!! Peace :ying:

Skip

Veteran
Victors get to write the history... :dueling:

At least until the Internet was invented! :woohoo:

BTW, all your "Nordic" flags look similar. If you are so different, why not a different style flag? I understand part of Finland is considered to be Scandinavia, no?

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
High Skip, pls understand it was huge embarassament to USSR that this small nation did block their MASSIVE invasion try. We aint pullin these things from hat like some.. Instead I am talking cold facts!!

Btw.. These should be Nordic forums instead Scandinavian :wink: It is great that you checked this thread and maybe you understand we want our own Finland forum. Would be more accurate, now it´s like comparing Ireland / Scotland into England, but they all have own forums; Scottish, Irish, UK,am I right??

Please give us our own forum, we are most active of this bunch and have some nice talent among as regarding northern climate growing, so it would be win for all situation if we could last have that Finnish forum :2cents:

C

curts1

Herb: I´ll now remove myself from this thread, let´s not give this troll any more attention. I respect you for being correct and polite when the rest of us weren´t.

skunkape

dudesons_dvd.jpg

Skip

Veteran
High Skip, pls understand it was huge embarassament to USSR that this small nation did block their MASSIVE invasion try. We aint pullin these things from hat like some.. Instead I am talking cold facts!!

Btw.. These should be Nordic forums instead Scandinavian :wink: It is great that you checked this thread and maybe you understand we want our own Finland forum. Would be more accurate, now it´s like comparing Ireland / Scotland into England, but they all have own forums; Scottish, Irish, UK,am I right??

Please give us our own forum, we are most active of this bunch and have some nice talent among as regarding northern climate growing, so it would be win for all situation if we could last have that Finnish forum :2cents:

Ummm, but you DO have a Finland forum!

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
YES, we have Finnish subforum inside Scandinavia forum....

Wouldnt want to be picky, but only small area of Finland is counted in Scandinavia.. And that small area is small area of Finlands Lapland..

Simple put.. Finland isnt counted in Skandinavia generally BY SCANDINAVIANS.

"Main" Scandivia area/countrys by Scandinavians consist from the kingdoms of Denmark, Norway & Sweden, crazy, when you think Denmark is island that isnt even a part of Fennoscandinavia!!! Those "great 3" have similar language structure, while us Finns speak completely differently..

This feels kinda stupid, co´s I even aint nationalist thinker, but this thread has issues I had to debate.....

Really Skip.. We should have our own main forum :2cents:

Hans Blix

Hear, hear, I agree with Herbalistic! Let the Finns have their own non-Scandinavian forum.

Me said:
Scandinavia= Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

The Nordic countries (Fenno-Scandinavia)= Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland and Finland.

In English and other non-Scandinavian languages the term Scandinavia is sometimes used (incorrectly) to denote the Nordic countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

Skip

Veteran
All this nationalism is crap, imo.

Countries are granfalloons. Borders are arbitrary and only serve to divide and control people, not unite and free them.

Look beyond your borders to see ALL your brothers and sisters. Don't EVER let them divide us.

FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granfalloon

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Skippy ol' Skip.. While i agree with your comments on nationalism, the problem here is geography. It's like having a Mexican forum and a sub-forum for Texas. Altho one might disagree and say TX belongs to Mexico and Finland belongs to Sweden, but that's another debate. Just change it to Nordic and it be kool mang. The Finns are not Scandinavian, nor Baltic, nor Russian. They are a weird group of their own..
And Denmark, again, IS a part of Scandinavia.
And maps are well important. Remember miss South Carolina?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQEcMTSgg5w :woohoo:

:abduct:

Skip

Veteran
I thank you all for helping educate this naive American about your geography and politics. :)

I've now changed it to Nordic Countries forum. You still have your Finland forum.

The reason we are even keeping these together is because you share similar growing conditions in that region, so any advice for one country might work in the others.

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Thanks Skip, now there isnt going to be debate´s over such plain thing :yes:

Nationalism is the worst kind of crap, puttin some nation over one and various invasions in history for what eva reason, has started TOO MANY war´s!!

I hope you understand where I was coming from with my post´s.. There was just SO HUGE lie about our history that I had to put Herbal :2cents: into it!!

Dont know if you really hear me Hans Blix, but I have a question for ya´! Are you done with your "high inspections"? If so, then what was the best high :biglaugh:

Sometimes I cannot even understand myself, when it gets into Herbal "comedy".....
...............................................................................................................................
......................................................................................................................................

A

arcticsun

it is kind of ironic how a russian can claim finland is not a part of scandinavia...

let me take you all to school.

(about the great Russian nation)
Wikipedia said:
The nation's history began with that of the East Slavs, which emerged as a recognizable group in Europe between the 3rd and 8th centuries AD.[11] Founded and ruled by a noble Viking warrior class and their descendants, the first East Slavic state, Kievan Rus', arose in the 9th century and adopted Christianity from the Byzantine Empire in 988,[14] beginning the synthesis of Byzantine and Slavic cultures that defined Russian culture for the next millennium

all norwegian high school graduates celebrate their graduation with a 17 day party binge. these graduates are called "russ"

wikipedia said:
Russ (singular and plural) is a participant in the traditional norwegian videregående skole (equivalent to high school) graduation ceremony known as russefeiring (russ celebration). Russ are easily recognized by their distinctive overalls, which tradition dictates that they wear from the 1st to the 17th of May without interruption (except when sleeping), and without washing it. They also have cars, vans or buses, which are painted the same colour as their overalls, and often sport large sound systems or lighting rigs. On the 17th of May (which is Norway's national day, and the final day of the festivities) they are also recognizable by their caps (russelue), which resemble student caps, and which also match the colour of the overall.

Who were the Rus?

According to the Russian Primary Chronicle (ca. 1040-1118 AD), the Rus were a group of "Varangians," possibly of Swedish origin, who had a leader named Rurik. Rus appears to be derived from the Finnish word for Sweden, *Rotsi, later Ruotsi, which in turn comes from Old Swedish rother, a word associated with rowing or ships, so that rothskarlar meant "rowers" or "seamen."

Due to civil strife in Russia, the leaders invited Rurik and his Rus kinsmen to come rule over them:
"6370 (862 BC) ...Discord thus ensued among them, and they began to war one against another. They said to themselves, 'Let us seek a prince who may rule over us, and judge us according to the law.' They accordingly went overseas to the Varangian Rus: these particular Varangians were known as Rus, just as some are called Swedes, and others Normans, Angles, and Goths, for they were thus named. The Chuds, the Slavs, and the Krivichians then said to the people of Rus: 'Our whole land is great and rich, but there is nor order in it. Come to rule and reign over us.' They thus selected three brothers, with their kinfolk, who took with them all the Rus, and migrated. The oldest, Rurik, located himself in Novgorod; the second, Sinaeus, in Beloozero; and the third, Truvor, in Izborsk. On account of these Varangians, the district of Novgorod became known as Russian (Rus) land. The present inhabitants of Novgorod are descended from the Varangian race, but aforetime they were Slavs." (Russian Primary Chronicle)

put the russian subforum in here aswell :D :yes:

Hans Blix

Russia's early historical connection with present-day Sweden and Finland is interesting, and rather well-known. But it's totally irrelevant to the topic discussed in this thread. (Which is probably why no one thought of bringing it up before.)

Finland freed itself from Sweden 200 years ago. Finland has had four devestating wars during the 20th century, whereas Sweden has had none. It doesn't take a genius to see that the subject is sensitive to the Finlanders.

A

arcticsun

the notion that Finland isnt a part of scandinavia us "to me" utterly ridiculous, i live merely a coupple of hours drive from the finnish border.

especially since close to 30% of the inhabitants of my area is of finnish descent. we even have communities who speak both old finnish(kvæn) and new finnish language.

welcome to Finnmark County in Norway

finnmark.gif

notice the varangerfjord at the interjunction between the russian the norwegian and the finnish border.

norwegian and finnish culture is so intertwined its impossible to separate! ive never heard any fin's before say "we are not a part of THAT!". i guess i feel alittle offended by that, maybe even alittle deserted.

its just so so so wrong to me, now thats what my heart says, putting all the history aside. now im sorry you guys feel that way!

because i see a culture and not borders, if you can imagine half your nation beiing taken from you. thats what this feels like! and its not about my country, its about my culture!

A

arcticsun

hehehe better not give anyone any smart ideas. seems to me we've had enough empires in this world.