What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question to some of the older folks

foo_bird

most people here still do live in log cabins lol
it seems to me like its "good cop n bad cop"
Bush was so bad anyone would look good
I'll keep hoping for the best

madrecinco

Veteran
Good news from D.C. today

Good news from D.C. today

Remember those $65 kilos? Good old Mex "dirt weed"! Friend of mine once found a mummified mouse in one! :yoinks: (I wonder which comment made more jaws drop? The $65/kilo price? Or the mouse? lol)

And I think it is possible that cannabis will be legalized for medical use (as decided by each state) (a) During Obama's first 6 months- just to get us bothersome "hippies and sickies" off his neck. Or (b) During the last 6 months of his first term as a way to re-elected.

I'm hoping for the best of both worlds- MMJ rescheduling and states making their own laws about it, during the first 6 months. Followed by full legalization during the last 6 months as a way to get re-elected. :woohoo:

More likely is that, full legalization will still be "in the works" and it will (again :wallbash: ) be an election issue. (The Republicans will roadblock every step to make it that way. :noway: Then expect some "Do you want dopers running the gov?" campaigning from the Repubs. )

Dang! It's an enjoyable, healing herb, that doesn't give you a hangover if you abuse/overuse it, and has never killed anyone by overdose! To top it off, it stops MS progression, may cure cancer, might prevent Alzheimer's and it kills MRSA bacteria! Why isn't it legal? :2cents:

Granny :joint:

Storm Crow there is some really good news out of Washington yesterday....YEHAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Maybe it has already been reported here on this site so forgive me if I duplicate news...

The Justice Department will start lookin' "the other way" @ some medical mMJ dispensaries. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder told reporters in a daily briefing Wed. he is reversing course of "the Bush Admin" {BTW...GWB is here in town in an elegant beach house]...But he is stopping the "vigorous prosecutions of such clinics".....

PROGRESS INDEED!!!!

Buut not fronts for drug dealers.

So we states need to get MMJ legalized and we can puff in peace!!!

MY DREAM....Puff in peace!

Granny I know you are as passionate as I am for the cause....I am educating myself and writing and emailing politicians and pratically stalking Gov. Christ on this subject.

I am doing childcare for "my last grandkid" and will be free to once again be a radical activist! My kids say...Oh No not again! but they love me and are activist for their "green causes" so we all have our PASSIONS and WEED is mine and it helps me get through the day with my damn aches and pains!

Luv ya granny! Stoner grannies ROCK!!!!

poina

I'm 56, been smoking a long time. Just compare it to the dangers of alcohol, ie. drunk driving, aids from bar skanks, gun fights, etc. Remember the people who rant on about the dangers of pot are doing so with a jack on the rocks.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
@ adron - forgive me for - in a way - hijacking the thread, but the discussion is a related issue to changes in our laws, which I believe was central to your initial inquiry that prompted the thread in the first place.

Marijuana has been outlawed in our country since 1937 when the Harrison Stamp Act was passed by a Democratic Congress and signed into law by a Democratic President (FDR). Since Roosevelt, there have been six (6) additional Presidents who were Democrats and six (6) who were Republicans. Over that period of time, the Congress has been dominated and run by Democrats for all of the post WWII period except for the Republican Revolution of 1994 that was led by a Congressman from Georgia by the name of Newt Gingrich. Mr. Gingrich became Speaker of the House for a short spell.

Now you have the background I will give you my analysis...

The majority of the American electorate is made up of Democrats. If Democrats wanted to make pot legal, they could have done it anytime they liked over the past 50 years by simply passing a law with one of their veto-proof majorities...

But they haven't done it...

Why?

It can't be because there aren't enough votes. They've had the votes over and over again.

It can't be because they don't have supporters. Democrats in Congress favor the cause, or that is what they tell you.

Then why haven't they done this?

The haven't done it because they derive power from lying to you and you believing they support your cause, while they use the law to take your property and liberty away, all the while decrying the laws that they voted for and passed that continues to victimize you. This blatant hypocrisy seems to go unnoticed by the majority of people in our movement - it's the "crazy uncle who lives in the attic" of Democratic politics. Democrats want other Democrats to believe that it is okay to screw over other Democrats if you do it with style and feel bad about it. Republicans don't cotton to this concept at all, but that's another discussion for another day. The point here is that they have not helped you in 50 years of opportunities, so the odds of them helping you now aren't too good. You have 50 years of Democratic political history that says as long as they can keep fucking you, and you keep blaming Republicans for the fucking the Democrats are giving you, then they will continue to do this.

My point was that this was a dependable set of circumstances - until now.

Now Congress is passing laws that are unconstitutional - illegal acts in an effort to deprive people of the wages they are due under a contract.

Some people are quite mad that companies like AIG are paying bonuses to people they employ when AIG is taking taxpayer money.

These same people are the ones that believe the workers at GM shouldn't be making any concessions and that investors should eat the losses and continue to pay wages to workers at scales that cannot be maintained and are over and above what competitors pay in the market, making these companies economic disasters. Yet, these people are happy to say that Congress should break these contracts and force people to give back money they earned pursuant to a legal and binding contract.

Let's say you are a roofer and you contract with me to put a roof on my house. You get done and I decide I'm not paying you because I don't like the wage scale you pay your employees. If you agree to pay your employees less, I'll pay you a part of what you were owed. You turn to your employees and say they have to take a pay cut.

You know what the employees do?

They call the police because that is illegal. You contracted with the employees to pay them according to the terms agreed upon. Employers can't unilaterally break a deal expost facto and neither can Congress.

but they are trying and the fact they are willing to do illegal things and create all this false hysteria is very frightening.

Some of you are too young to remember the terrible effects of communism on our world. When the communists came into power in late 1917, there was a period of calm and then a great depression in Europe that also swallowed up Russia. Russia was using a centrally-planned economy where the government decides which industries will be officially supported and which industries were not (just like Obama is doing now). The problem with communism is that rational decision-making (the core principle in free-market economics) changes the way things are prioritized and produced in an economy and centrally-planned economies cannot transition as the market changes, thus they waste enormous amounts of resources and real growth doesn't happen.

In Russia, this led to a sensational series of cultural prosecutions of groups of people in the economy who were judged to be "wreckers", "counter-revolutionaries", "Trotskyites" and other names to mean people who were making money. The Russians penalized all forms of market-related compensation (like Obama is doing now - he's taxing aspirin 800% because "it's white and it works") and made merchants (who they called traitors) to pay heavy taxes and go to jail in the infamous Soviet Gulag political prisoner system.

We aren't that far away and history is very instructive. If you want to get really scared about what is happening in your country - right now - then read the history of the Stalinist Purges that occurred between 1933 and the beginning of WWII.

Because you asked...

Last edited:

bbing

I thought that was BS too; Pirate and MPD, That is = "taxation w/o representation" .

Dont get me wrong; I do think we should take back OUR shit from these Corps, we cant just have Congress make laws adhoc to fit the situation and circumstace.

Hey Granny,
Im sure you've seen the thread "what you have found in brick weed" (to that effect). Hilarious shit. I found Mexican candy (whole w/ wrapper) once. Ate it after smoking huge spliff like the worm in tequila....tripped for a week, JK.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Amen bing. Amen...

Don't listen to Pirate's line. I have it on good authority that Pirate is in fact a notary public - and we all know what notary publics did in the last election and it was completely traitorous and notary publics deserve everything they get for all that stamping and signing...

adron

I appreciate everyone's comments, but I'm fairly certain the way the bill has been drafted, it does not actually violate the constitution. Not that I'm saying it's necessarily right, I just want to point out that it's not a "Bill of attainder", and we aren't quite to the point where the federal government is blatantly breaking the constitution.

Taxing executive bonuses or anything else is perfectly legal. A "Bill of attainder" would apply only if, for example, the law specifically called out AIG -- and AIG alone -- as its target. The proposed law targets employees who earned x amount working for any company which received >= 5 billion in TARP money. This is a sufficiently non-specific class for a court to distinguish it from a "Bill of attainder"

Here is further comment from a person in the legal field who describes it far better than I can:

The trick - and it's so easy a law student could do it - is to draft the tax so that it is facially neutral, even though it clearly only applies to certain people or activities.

Thus, it would be perfectly legitimate to impose a tax of 90 percent on all compensation in excess of $50,000 paid and/or received by persons in regard to work performed in 2008 or thereafter in service of a corporation whose principal office in 2008 was in Connecticut and which in 2008 maintained an office in London, England, and which work pertained to CDOs, CDSs or any combination of them.

They used to be called "rifle shots", back pre the 1986 tax reform act. In those days, Congress would include obscurely-written clauses in bills, usually providing for tax relief. They would apply, for example, to all corporations incorporated in Delaware on July 15, 1916 (or some other obscure date) and presently having a principal place of business in Michigan (i.e., only to Ford Motor Co.), and were usually used to allow corporations (or wealthy individuals - Trump used to get some) to get around depreciation rules

Also, as the commenter points out, taxes are civil -- not criminal -- and can be applied retroactively and to specific groups of people.

Is it backdoor politics? Sure, but that's nothing new. As far as any of the other implications/speculations that have been presented in the thread -- that is all up for debate. I'm not really worried until they try to take my firearms away from me, in which case they'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

bbing

yeah but the tarp money intended recipients due isolate a specific group or industry..?.??

like here target; take the bait, and after you take it we will tell you its poison and you have to buy the antidote from us...
well its kinda like that in a stoners head..hehehe ridiculous aren't I?

K

khaleel

great thread!

this was an interesting blog on the subject. from a couple years ago, but the substance/theme is the same. :yes:

Republicans Try Marijuana at Higher Rate Than Democrats

Posted in Chronicle Blog by David Guard on Mon, 11/26/2007 - 4:07pm

It’ll come as a surprise to most, but Republicans try marijuana at a higher rate than Democrats. A Gallup poll found that 33% of Republicans have tried America’s favorite (and safest) illicit drug while a slightly lower 31% of Democrats have inhaled the celebrated herb.

Thinking back, I remember when it was learned that House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, Minnesota Senator Norm Coleman and other Republicans had enjoyed marijuana in their pasts, and I recall the 2002 Republican congressional page scandal in which eleven pot smoker pages sponsored by Republican House members were dismissed subsequent to the discovery of marijuana in their Capitol Hill dormitory. I guess I should have put two and two together.

Politically speaking, the obvious question is “Why doesn’t this translate into more Republican support for marijuana decriminalization or legalization?” Only 21% of Republicans want the herb legalized while 37% of Democrats do. Do Republicans experience different effects? Do they feel guilty after imbibing?

Maybe we just need more Republicans to bring their views on marijuana laws out of the closet. Take Gary Johnson for instance. The former Republican governor of New Mexico supported the legalization of marijuana in a very public way when he was in office, in fact, he was eager to make it part of his legacy. He also wanted people to understand that he didn’t just “experiment” with the weed: “In running for office during my first term, I offered up the fact that I smoked marijuana. And the media was very quick to say, ‘Oh, so you experimented with marijuana’…No, I smoked marijuana. This is something that I did. I did it along with a lot of other people. But me and my buddies, you know…we enjoyed what we were doing,” said Johnson in 1999.

Of course, there’s another high-profile Republican not shying away from telling people marijuana should be legal -- Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-TX) who has served in Congress for almost 20 years. And, heck, he just recently set the GOP’s one-day fundraising record of $4.3 million. Hmmm, it sure doesn’t seem like his supporters are afraid of his marijuana legalization spiel.

George Shultz, former Secretary of State under Ronald Reagan, also wants marijuana legalized. Almost 20 years ago, he coined an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal to tell people “...We need at least to consider and examine forms of controlled legalization of drugs.”

Another of Reagan’s most trusted aides, Lyn Nofziger, who also worked for Nixon and shares responsibility for unleashing the Reagan drug war on America, joined Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) at a 2002 Capitol Hill press conference to support a federal medical marijuana bill and to push President Bush and other Republicans to get onboard. “I've become an advocate of medical marijuana…It is truly compassionate. I sincerely hope the administration can get behind this bill,” he said.

And then there are some of the Republican Party’s luminaries. Highly respected and influential ultra-conservatives like William F. Buckley, Jr. and Milton Friedman have called for marijuana legalization at least since Nixon famously visited Beijing, Hangzhou, and Shanghai in 1972. I suppose the appropriate question is “When will the Republicans decide to take the high road to China on this one?”

so there's a percentage, albeit small, of democrats who want pot legalized that don't even smoke themselves. and there's a much larger percentage of republicans who smoke, themselves, but want it to remain illegal. ???

WTF??? is it guilt on republicans' part? denial of who they truly are? or is it that democrats have just given up, morally? that republicans may be weak, in reconciling their behavior with their beliefs, but they are still trying to remain pure in intention? curious as to what you think...

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The politicians are reflecting what they think their constituencies (and heavy funding lobbys) want, rather than voting to their own pleasures.

The pharmaceutical industry has, and will continue, to push against any sort of legalization.
But in my seasoned opinion, the legalization of MJ is going to be the least of our worries very soon.

I was a late bloomer and started toking in '72...and I am beyond certain that weed was not legal in any shape or fashion anywhere in the US at that time.

O

Organic-Dank

it will be legalize!!!! I believe... why ??? ppl need jobs Mj will provide jobs lol we are all going to be picking up mexicans from homedepo for trimming work.... not that we dont already hahah :) O-DANK

RetroGrow

Veteran
Today, in response to questions, O'Bama said in no uncertain terms that he is against legalization.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/0326200..._legalizing_pot_no_way_to_grow_bad_161448.htm

This man is no different than other politicians. Pandering to the ignorant and superstitious, he has to think about the narrow minds of those who vote for him. Think the religious right.
This President is gutless and a hypocrite. The only thing he is thinking of is how to take advantage of the current situation in order to grab more power.
I really believe it will not be made legal until and unless we take to the streets and demonstrate. We must be very much more "militant" on this issue. We took to the streets in 1969 and ended the Vietnam war. We will need that same kind of activism in order to get anything done, but I'm not sure the people of today are up to it.
Freedom is not something they are going to give us.
We have to take it.
I would like to hear some ideas of what we could possibly do, in a more militant sense, to force them to change the law.

I thought it was going to be legalized by 1980. Carter favored decriminalization, but it didn’t happen. We got eight years of President Ra-gun and the pendulum swung the other way hard and fast. When things started going our way again about ten years ago, I thought we’d see the same pattern of progress followed by backlash, but things have gradually kept going in the right direction.

Where’s it going to go from here? Who knows? Maybe we’ll stagnate where we are. Maybe the Republicans will get their act together and we’ll have another right-wing drugs-are-bad backlash. Or just maybe my kids will reach maturity in a land where possession of a roadside weed will not be enough to send you to prison.

robbiedublu

I'm not trying to argue, I just don't understand why it's illegal for congress to write tax code to apply to a specific group of people. It seems to me that they do it all the f**ing time. That's what the whole tax code is, breaks or additional taxes for specific groups. If not everyone could do their taxes in 2 minutes on 1 sheet of paper.
Oh, and I don't think weed will be legal anytime soon either.

madrecinco

Veteran
Born in the south in mid century and I have watched the great progress made in the weed movement but stoners who like to bitch about it mostly....

so i am pretty much resigned to do it illegally....which i hate to do....but will as it is such a stupid law INDEED! And NO REAL PASSION in the movement but a handful of dreamers that sacrifice for the less bold and brave out there in America. Ed Rosenthal comes to mind.....not many Ed's out there. That is the problem IMHO anyway.....

Obi Wan Kenabis

I smoked my first J in '66. It's been a roller coaster of hope and disappointment ever since.

But I've never before seen as much open support for the gentle herb.

Advocates for legalization were always marginalized. Dumped into the weirdo bucket, laughed at, and persecuted by the media and the politicos.

Now, we're getting lots of media attention. Positive attention, for a change. The debate has become serious. The truth is on our side, and it's becoming less and less fashionable to continue pushing the lies and bullshit that have surrounded "marihuana" since the days of Harry Anslinger and that early documentary, Reefer Madness.

I won't believe it 'til I see it, but legalization is more possible than it ever was. With the internet, prohitionists' stupidity and lies are being exposed for what they are.

I just hope it doesn't stop at decrim. That's a copout.

G

Guest 88950

great thread!

this was an interesting blog on the subject. from a couple years ago, but the substance/theme is the same. :yes:

Republicans Try Marijuana at Higher Rate Than Democrats

Posted in Chronicle Blog by David Guard on Mon, 11/26/2007 - 4:07pm

It’ll come as a surprise to most, but Republicans try marijuana at a higher rate than Democrats. A Gallup poll found that 33% of Republicans have tried America’s favorite (and safest) illicit drug while a slightly lower 31% of Democrats have inhaled the celebrated herb.

Thinking back, I remember when it was learned that House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, Minnesota Senator Norm Coleman and other Republicans had enjoyed marijuana in their pasts, and I recall the 2002 Republican congressional page scandal in which eleven pot smoker pages sponsored by Republican House members were dismissed subsequent to the discovery of marijuana in their Capitol Hill dormitory. I guess I should have put two and two together.

Politically speaking, the obvious question is “Why doesn’t this translate into more Republican support for marijuana decriminalization or legalization?” Only 21% of Republicans want the herb legalized while 37% of Democrats do. Do Republicans experience different effects? Do they feel guilty after imbibing?

Maybe we just need more Republicans to bring their views on marijuana laws out of the closet. Take Gary Johnson for instance. The former Republican governor of New Mexico supported the legalization of marijuana in a very public way when he was in office, in fact, he was eager to make it part of his legacy. He also wanted people to understand that he didn’t just “experiment” with the weed: “In running for office during my first term, I offered up the fact that I smoked marijuana. And the media was very quick to say, ‘Oh, so you experimented with marijuana’…No, I smoked marijuana. This is something that I did. I did it along with a lot of other people. But me and my buddies, you know…we enjoyed what we were doing,” said Johnson in 1999.

Of course, there’s another high-profile Republican not shying away from telling people marijuana should be legal -- Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-TX) who has served in Congress for almost 20 years. And, heck, he just recently set the GOP’s one-day fundraising record of $4.3 million. Hmmm, it sure doesn’t seem like his supporters are afraid of his marijuana legalization spiel.

George Shultz, former Secretary of State under Ronald Reagan, also wants marijuana legalized. Almost 20 years ago, he coined an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal to tell people “...We need at least to consider and examine forms of controlled legalization of drugs.”

Another of Reagan’s most trusted aides, Lyn Nofziger, who also worked for Nixon and shares responsibility for unleashing the Reagan drug war on America, joined Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) at a 2002 Capitol Hill press conference to support a federal medical marijuana bill and to push President Bush and other Republicans to get onboard. “I've become an advocate of medical marijuana…It is truly compassionate. I sincerely hope the administration can get behind this bill,” he said.

And then there are some of the Republican Party’s luminaries. Highly respected and influential ultra-conservatives like William F. Buckley, Jr. and Milton Friedman have called for marijuana legalization at least since Nixon famously visited Beijing, Hangzhou, and Shanghai in 1972. I suppose the appropriate question is “When will the Republicans decide to take the high road to China on this one?”

the Repubs are afraid of alienating the Religous base. you would think that the repubs. would spin this as a compassionate act so they wouldnt offend those Religous voters. i referring to national recognition of the Medicinal Benefits of Cannabis.

rescheduling Cannabis from a Schedule I to a Schedule II controlled substance is the first step in getting the truth out about this plant.

SSH

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This man is no different than other politicians. Pandering to the ignorant and superstitious, he has to think about the narrow minds of those who vote for him. Think the religious right.
The religious right did not vote for Obama, and you can bet on that.
Nor does the religious right even enter into Obama's thinking. Not one iota.
Obama is pandering to lobby's. Not citizens. It is what politicians do, especially dumb ones, like Obama.

eglider

Decriminalize Yes, Legalization No. I dont want to go to jail, just wanna smoke my pot. Legalization allows the Drug Co.s (Tobacco) to take over and the Tax Machine gets fired up. Think grow laws are bad now ? Wait till you start messing with the tobacco lobby's savior plant. There's way too much money to be made by legalization for any real freedom to be attained. I'm not a political scientist, but I do have a passing grade in economics and theres a lot of revenue and profits to be made by legalization. Decriminalization keeps it in the hands of the cottage industry and thereby denying huge cartel profits and Govt. tax grabs. See LEAP- Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. They admit that Prohibition is a huge industry by itself and that DEA and the alphabet boys aint going away quietly. Why should they....They know where all the bodies are buried , figuratively and literally.
They make J. Edgar Hoover look like a dancing drag queen (oops) in the "I know a secret" business.
All this typing has made my head sweat under my tin-foil hat and the conductivity will let them read my thoughts, so i must wipe down and adjust my jamming devices.