What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question to some of the older folks

adron

I'm in my mid 20s, and with all of the turmoil going on in the world currently, I've been hearing a lot of buzz about the possible upcoming decriminalization/legalization of MJ (for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is to raise revenue). I hear it primarily from the entertainment industry, but much to my surprise also from legitimate news sources (newspaper/internet editorials) and everyday people as well (not just smokers). It just seems like populations are opening up to the idea a little more in general.

My question to you guys is this: have you lived through a similar period that did not result in any actual change in policy/law with regard to the drug? As in, you all thought that decriminalization/legalization was imminent at some point in the past, and then another 20-30 years of illegality followed.

I'd also like to hear if you think it would necessarily be a good thing. I think most would agree that decriminalization is, but full blown legalization...I'm not sure if I'd be too happy with the commercialization of it.

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
Well i think is was about 1972 is was legal for a little while,
Iwas young don't know the details (hell i might be totally wrong )

As for it being legalized /decriminalized MAKE IT LEGAL
Ofcourse they can sell all they want ,ILL grow my own.
They sell booze i still make my own moonshine,(better than any store bought....burp)

MAKE IT LEGAL IT'S OUR RIGHT

C

Classyathome

Here in Canada, we actually had a brief time when it was NOT illegal. Various courts had decided that the laws weren't written correctly, so they tossed all possession charges.

I smoked in front of local leo headquarters - and thanked 2 uniformed leo there for not freaking out and cracking heads (with a burning joint in my hand).

It was a glorious time - and it will be back, sooner than most would dare to dream.

madrecinco

Veteran
][We have never seen the progress that has been made in recent years.
For the first time I feel hope. But I am not sure how commercialization will affect it. It would save much money by reducing prison population...but put many out of work...PO'S...correction officers...and support staff...

Private prison contracters such as Wackenhut get rich off of prisons.

Street level sales would disappear and stop income for already poor ghetto area's especially.
And I don't like breaking the law.
The government would have to get their greedy hand's into it and tax it highly prolly. I doubt that it would bring the price down...BUT it is the only law I break.

Napoleon introduced it to Europe and EVEN THEN he realized that weed was better for you than alcohol that our leaders swig in D.C. daily. Hope their livers rot!

bbing

Not to worry Madre, Im going to initiate a displaced LEO worker program on my global commercial cannabis growing operations. Tell them not to worry, we've got it taken care of.

Tokenhut Enterprises; a name to remember..but then to forget...

madrecinco

Veteran
Yes we must offer aid to the LEO and support staff who might lose their jobs due to legalization/decriminalization of weed.

We must be responsible tokers and take good care of those who lose their jobs to make us happy. MOST LEO hate their job and can't wait to retire and toke. TRUE....but then you have the pontificating asshole ones who want to be a hardass and arrest tokers instead of child molestors. The Power Hungry type!

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
It sounds more acceptable to the general public than in years past but they've talked about making it legal since I first came to California in 1979. It comes up now and then but always gets voted down. The major difference now is.....The government wants to take their cut and with the economy the way it is............There will be more public support for it even though it will cost more in the long run by creating "agencies to regulate" than the Gov will recieve by selling dope. I wouldn't hold my breath.

adron

Hrm interesting...so we're in a fairly unique period of time as far as public view of MJ goes, it would seem.

robereno

In 1968 I assumed it would be legal in a year or two; it just seemed the only reasonable thing to happen.

But as mentioned above, there’s a lot of money being made by keeping it illegal and I don’t think it will be the tax windfall for California that some are saying. If it’s made legal I would guess that the price will drop considerably and then I expect that most medical dispensaries will close. Why buy when you can grow it easily for free and sell the leftovers to your neighbors at half the price.

I just don’t see it happening. Yeah, the cost of weed enforcement is huge but the people getting that money will do their best to keep it coming. And with a strong conservative base (mostly in southern Cal) I don’t see a vote going our way. Hope I’m wrong.

adron

smoked my 1st pot in 64 it would be nice if once before I die
I could get high and not break the law
Damn.

In 1968 I assumed it would be legal in a year or two; it just seemed the only reasonable thing to happen.

But as mentioned above, there’s a lot of money being made by keeping it illegal and I don’t think it will be the tax windfall for California that some are saying. If it’s made legal I would guess that the price will drop considerably and then I expect that most medical dispensaries will close. Why buy when you can grow it easily for free and sell the leftovers to your neighbors at half the price.

I just don’t see it happening. Yeah, the cost of weed enforcement is huge but the people getting that money will do their best to keep it coming. And with a strong conservative base (mostly in southern Cal) I don’t see a vote going our way. Hope I’m wrong.
Yes I think people are typically quick to enumerate all the benefits that legalization could bring but fail to recognize the existing industries/entities that stand to lose a lot if it becomes a reality. Some of these have very influential lobbies and I'm sure they're working hard to keep it illegal. But I don't understand the resistance against decriminalization.

qdavid

I am, and have always been, a strong proponent for decriminlization. But I'm not so sure about legalization. The huge drug companies are very powerful and won't allow it. I'm also not sure letting our idiot gov't get hold of it and screw it up, like they do with most things, is such a good idea. I actually do think attitudes are much better than they have ever been but real change is slow and I don't see a lot of real change yet.

madrecinco

Veteran
smoked my 1st pot in 64 it would be nice if once before I die
I could get high and not break the law

INDEED! MY GOAL also! 1963 for me ....out back of Threadgill's in Austin, Texas the center of the Texas Hippie movement. Good ol' mexican weed for $10 an ounce! Boy was it controvercial in those days.

Those were the days my friend....I thought they would never end....hey that was a song...LOL.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
God only knows. If you had asked me three weeks ago whether fascism would be the new "in" thing in America I would have laughed at you. Today we saw our Congress pass a writ of attainder - something specifically outlawed in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 2 of the Constitution.

Who knows? I've been projecting it will never be legal under a Democratic administration because they have nothing to gain by legalizing it and if they legalize it they will give up their stranglehold on the dope fiend voter block (small, but a voter block is a voter block).

Who knows what they will do now? I expect to see the guillotine to re-emerge next...

Pirate

Veteran
God only knows. If you had asked me three weeks ago whether fascism would be the new "in" thing in America I would have laughed at you. Today we saw our Congress pass a writ of attainder - something specifically outlawed in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 2 of the Constitution.
And not a peep or complaint about constitutional rights being trampled from those that may "benefit from the legalization of marijuana". I can just hear the behind the scenes chatter at the top of the totem pole...."Give them fuckers a little of what they want (so they'll be numb)............ and when we spring the trap, they'll never know what hit em".

Hang on tight boys and girls.........We're about to go on a ride like no other.

JQP

Back in the early 70's it seemed like it was just around the corner. Nope.

I been real lucky, though have had some close calls. Now I'm so frickin paranoid it isn't funny. I'd just like not to be paranoid about it. Here I haven't even got a speeding ticket in more than 25 years. I'm about as law abiding a citizen as you'll find, except for one thing.

I understand the problem with LE. I used to say back in the day when the states were into building prisons that someday the buildings would be rotting into the ground, and what the hell would we do with all the out-of-work guards? I've never thought much of prisons anyway. If you're not a criminal when you go in, the chances are you will be when you get out. Real, REAL stupid system.

Don't get me goin...

JQ

Storm Crow

Veteran
Madre...

Madre...

Remember those $65 kilos? Good old Mex "dirt weed"! Friend of mine once found a mummified mouse in one! :yoinks: (I wonder which comment made more jaws drop? The $65/kilo price? Or the mouse? lol)

And I think it is possible that cannabis will be legalized for medical use (as decided by each state) (a) During Obama's first 6 months- just to get us bothersome "hippies and sickies" off his neck. Or (b) During the last 6 months of his first term as a way to re-elected.

I'm hoping for the best of both worlds- MMJ rescheduling and states making their own laws about it, during the first 6 months. Followed by full legalization during the last 6 months as a way to get re-elected. :woohoo:

More likely is that, full legalization will still be "in the works" and it will (again :wallbash: ) be an election issue. (The Republicans will roadblock every step to make it that way. :noway: Then expect some "Do you want dopers running the gov?" campaigning from the Repubs. )

Dang! It's an enjoyable, healing herb, that doesn't give you a hangover if you abuse/overuse it, and has never killed anyone by overdose! To top it off, it stops MS progression, may cure cancer, might prevent Alzheimer's and it kills MRSA bacteria! Why isn't it legal? :2cents:

Granny :joint:

adron

God only knows. If you had asked me three weeks ago whether fascism would be the new "in" thing in America I would have laughed at you. Today we saw our Congress pass a writ of attainder - something specifically outlawed in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 2 of the Constitution

Don't mean to derail my own thread but can you elaborate on this a bit?

Pirate

Veteran
In a deliberate act of subverting the very constitution congress swore to uphold..........they passed a law today to Tax the recipients of bonuses paid with bail out monies.

As horrible as it is that these fucks took and got bonuses..........It's even more egregious that congress would ignore the rule of law and instead make their own as they see fit. Its actually a ploy to divert the publics attention away from the trillions they are stealing by making America upset about pennies in comparison. ($165 million).

The posters point was............He would never have believed that this could happen in America and to the constitution by congress..........but today it did. So anything could happen with pot becoming legal.

Long explanation I know;

Here is the story of our constitution being trampled today. Whats scary is.........We may be next if we don't stand up and stop them now !!
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-aig-house20-2009mar20,0,6811276.story

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
During the 60's...weed possession meant hard time...then during the 70's...decriminalized possession got closer...under Jimmy Carter.

Then Ronald Reagan began the 'War On Drugs' in 1980. Things went downhill after that...and I give up hope.