What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Drummers Out There?

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
Hello headypete my friend .... ya I can't say I was ever really into Genesis but I had as many live albums as I could get my hands on back then. As a young boy I loved to play to cassettes and albums like Rush, Yes, Genesis, Styx ...a big one was Steely Dan and Moodie Blues cause I was able to slip those past the "backwards masking radar" my mom thought she had...lol.... I remember when she caught me with Ozzy Osborne's Crazy Train she ripped all the tape out screaming....this is the devil...this is the devil!!!! LMFAO ... I had the "Genesis" albums mixed in wth the "Amy Grants" funny times ... but since Neil and I had the same Instructor it was ok ... too funny eh?

Yes Mr. X is definatly a tool ... his guitar is now a nice piece of tetris art in a red velour case. Kinda like when you save the last bottle of Jack Daniels ... just to remind you why you are never going to do that again!!... too funny.

Peace to all the musicians out there.

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was looking for a drum thread. I found this old turd. time to dust her off; she might still be a turd, but she will be less dusty.

Any drummers out there?? I have been drumming for 16 years, I play metal drums. looking to start a hardcore project soon too.

I recently hit the studio to record my bands EP and we play live when we can. Looking to hit it hard this summer.

Trying to see if we have more musicians on here. where its just for fun or you have a project.

:headbange

Any drummers out there?? I have been drumming for 16 years, I play metal drums. looking to start a hardcore project soon too.

I recently hit the studio to record my bands EP and we play live when we can. Looking to hit it hard this summer.

Trying to see if we have more musicians on here. where its just for fun or you have a project.

:headbange

I have been drumming for...oh geez...I guess 15 years? I hung up my sticks a while ago for a lot of reasons...debt & pain being the main ones.

I went to college for music & played Zappa's "Black Page part 1" for my Junior Recital...so I'm not entirely shit. I also played Jazz Vibraphone & marched snare drum for World Class Drumline.

Enjoy the studio :woohoo: !! I wish music was still fun for me (my guru-ji in India would prolly be disappointed if he knew I gave up Tabla)

shithawk420

Veteran
I inherited my buddies Ludwig when he ODed.i could have been a great drummer but don't have the passion for it.id rather compose.

My uncle got 2nd place in battle of the bands and jammed with Korn.hes fucking great.

I inherited my buddies Ludwig when he ODed.i could have been a great drummer but don't have the passion for it.id rather compose.

My uncle got 2nd place in battle of the bands and jammed with Korn.hes fucking great.

Ludwigs are usually awesome, haven't seen a bad one yet. Sad to hear about your buddy, may he rest in peace :angelshug:

How/what do you compose? Have you tried music notation software like Sibelius? That's cool about your Uncle--Korn would be a fun gig.

shithawk420

Veteran
Thanks newbie! Just messing with you.dont take me too serious.i want to compose classical music.i love the violin and chello.I love Beethoven and Mozart.i kinda grew out of metal.gotta take it easy.nerves and stress.gotta say the best show I ever saw was the last Ozzfest with Black Sabbath reunion.Bill Ward is an awesome drummer.

But my favorite drummer? That's a tough one.Bill Bruford comes to mind right now.Ginger Baker is good too.

Right now my sister is a music teacher for disabled kids.shes not as knowledgable as me.shes stubborn.i try to teach her about YoYo Ma and Mozart and she gets mad cause she went to college and I didn't.oh well.anyway good to have you newbie! J/ k

I recommend Sibelius--that's how I composed classical. It makes it easy, and knowing basic music theory helped too. With Sibelius you can compose for Cello, Violin, Oboe, etc.

Ward is good & so is Baker. I'll have to check out Bruford some time, that name isn't familiar. I like...um...Thomas Pridgen, Moon the Loon, Casey Cangelosi, etc.

What kind of cymbals do you like?? Thanks for being nice, it's lonely here up north.

shithawk420

Veteran
Bruford did everything.he was in Yes,ASIA,Genisis.Lots of great stuff.check out the spice of life by Kazumi Watanabe on YouTube.Bruford does an awesome electric drum solo.

For cymbals I see nothing wrong with Zildjian.
And no need to thank me.im way lonlier than you,I gaurantee

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I have recently retired from drumming. Just getting too old to haul and play all those hours.

Now, if I want to play, I go to any club in town and they always ask me to sit in and play a set. So, I don't have to haul my gear. I play one set and then chase the girls because I'm cool for being a 'special guest' of the band. LOL Make pussy chasing so much easier (which is the ONLY reason I got into rock and roll in the first place.)

I have owned over 100 drum sets and..... geeze, maybe a thousand snare drums. LOL I have made my own, had a set made by Buzz King (former drum maker for Premier and Slingerland). I have owned sets from a number of famous drummers like Gene Krupa, Phil Collins and I even have a set of sticks given to me personally by Ringo Star.

There's more to playing WITH drums than JUST playing drums. LOL

I have sold almost everything I own in anticipation of moving to California next year but here is a shot of some of my snare drums.....

Attachments

• snarecolletionebay.jpg
    snarecolletionebay.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 33

al70

Veteran
My uncle passed away there a coupe of month's ago god bless him, he was known to be one of the best drummers in ireland, but he only played with country n western bands, i once asked him why, he told me it was an easy nights work, playing with a rock band all night knocks the bollix outa ye he said, lol, jaysus i miss him.

Nice snares!

My condolences for your loss, al70. May he rest in peace.

Yeah Zildjian's sound great, imo their lines are the best. However I've heard from some older players (even ones that have visited their factory) that their quality has decreased from when they first started...but who am I to judge lol? It's like all major companies--McDonalds didn't start off selling "pink slime" (Zildjian hasn't slipped that far yet :artist: )

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
sniff sniff.... someone say Zildjian?

I have owned a few other brands but Zildjian has always provided what I want to hear from a cymbal. I have a few that are older than me (read, before the pyramids were built. LOL) but most of them are 50's through current.

Attachments

• cymbals.jpg
    cymbals.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 33
sniff sniff.... someone say Zildjian?

I have owned a few other brands but Zildjian has always provided what I want to hear from a cymbal. I have a few that are older than me (read, before the pyramids were built. LOL) but most of them are 50's through current.

Some of those look like they sound & feel great! I had the pleasure of experiencing a few old Zildjian's and boy were they solid. :tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
a good friend of mine (now deceased) once told me this joke "you know what you call a person that hangs out with musicians? a drummer!" he was a drummer, so...:biggrin: RIP Paul. i miss you buddy...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
We played the Bowl and all I got was this poster...

Attachments

• being a drummer.jpg
    being a drummer.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 34
Hahaha :)

I bought a loop pedal once that said something on the box like "so easy a drummer can use it"

I showed my teacher at the time & he took a pic. I don't remember the brand & sold the pedal years ago.

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Ginger is an old muther fucker. Just turned 79 last week. I don't believe he is still playing. Fucker looks dead (albeit, not bad for a rock star. LOL)

157520_v9_ba.jpg

I saw a film where he said he didn't want to play, but then ended up playing again hahaha.

That's about where Burton is at as well, it seems. So if they both decide to play again, they should go on a tour together.

They would definitely draw a crowd together & if Ginger played with Fela, he can play with anyone I bet.

Last edited: