What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oldest coffeeshop in Amsterdam is shutting down

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The oldest and first coffeeshop in Amsterdam, Mellow Yellow, is closing it's doors on Dec 31st 2016 at 12 midnight. It is being shuttered by the dutch government for being too close to a (beauty) school, even though the owner and staff are very strict about not letting under 18s in. This shops closing, will be a sad day for me, at least, as it is my local hangout. To me, this signals the end of what was once tolerance and pragmatism in Amsterdam and The Netherlands as a whole. A sad day! A sad day indeed!

GoatCheese

Veteran
My first ever cannabis purchase in Amsterdam was from Mellow Yellow. Mango Haze in 2006. Weed was good in Amsterdam back then! LOL

They still have the old Cup winning Blueberry on menu, which is nice and tasty. that was my LAST purchase from Mellow Yellow in 2014.
Coffeeshop Noon also has had it on menu (same owners?) so it won't be lost with Mellow Yellow.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Mellow Yellow was legendary... Nol van Schaik will be sad.... so will the Cannabis Poet's ghost. I am sure he is still wandering the foggy alleys of Amsterdam in search of the finest hashish and the most avant-garde jazz... it is there, you just have to look about a bit. You;ll catch a glimpse of his camel hair coat on the Oudezijdes Achterburgwal or the Nieuwendijk, but mostly on the Damstraat.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just for the historic value, had to stop in 2004, 2008, 2010. Too bad they can't move a block farther from the beauty school. Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes.

Nol van Schaik will be sad.... so will the Cannabis Poet's ghost. I am sure he is still wandering the foggy alleys of Amsterdam in search of the finest hashish and the most avant-garde jazz

He's still around Haarlem...saw him a few times there.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Hey aridbud, did you mean Nol or Lee?

I hear Nol Van Schaik has a cannabis friendly guest house in Spain...

Happy for him and his lovely wife Maruska.

macamus33

Very sad to hear. Been to Amsterdam 3 times for HTCP, one of my favorite coffee shops. Always had a great selection. Sad day indeed.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey aridbud, did you mean Nol or Lee?

I hear Nol Van Schaik has a cannabis friendly guest house in Spain...

Happy for him and his lovely wife Maruska.

Yeah, Lee, I guess. My bad.

Saw Nols or Lee @ Zandvoort Culinary Festival, talking to them then a day later in Haarlem.

Last edited: