What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

japanese knotweed removal and techniques

dill786

Hi,

A friend has japanese knotweed issues in his back garden, it has totally taken over even growing its rhizomes through the concrete path.

even mortgage companies have new rules now if the JKW is growing less than 7 meters from the house you have to have it treated or you may have issues selling your house and its against the law if you dont inform when you decide to put your house up for sale..

so my friend and i did some reading and it can be eradicated over a period of 24 months by foliar spraying with glysophate, but we will have to spray in late may and then again in october before the plant shuts down for winter this will have to be done over a period of 24 months... the foliage will have to be burnt/completely destroyed.

this seems to be the cheapest option, professional companies are charging over £22,000 for complete knotweed removal..

another technique is stem injection, were you inject 5ml of concentrated glyosphoate directly into the stems at the 2nd or 3rd node this will work down to the rootball which can be 8 foot deep, even this technique requires repeated use over a period of time, but this injection technique is labour intensive, also its a direct injection so this can be done in all weathers unlike foliar spraying which cant , especially ifs its been raining or really windy not forgetting it will destroy other plants in the area...

still reading up stuff..

feel free to chime in if you have any tips

thanks..

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
salt kills some of the most pernicious weeds and will leach out long before 2 years.

jmo, take it with a grain.

dill786

was reading this a while ago, might help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057439491

defiantly seems to be a long term job.22k seems mad, how big an area?

they had different options at diffrent price ranges

the 22k was to remove all soil and backfill with fresh clean soil. you cant take the JK infected soil to the local county dump it has to be taken away and treated according to the companies.. they give a 5 year guarantee aswell... the area is around 50 meters square

Been there, done that.

Year One: wait until the plant is in full flower. Around here that's August. On some hot humid day with no rain in the forecast, spray the foliage to the point of dripping with the brush control strength solution of glyphosate.

Ninety percent of plants will die. Next year 10% grow back.

Year two: repeat the process. Wait until the plant is in full flower. On some hot humid day with no rain in the forecast, spray the foliage to the point of dripping with brush control strength solution of glyphosate.

Ninety percent of the plants will die. Now you have 1% of the original stand.

Year three: repeat the process. Ninety percent of the plants will die.

Now you have 1/10 of the original stand returning in the fourth year. Sprigs popping up here and there. You can control them with spot spraying. Stay on top of it spraying those little shoots and by the fourth or fifth year you're done.

The key is to spray when the plant is in full flower. The plant is is physiologically running at full speed and pulling energy out of the roots. Hit 'em hard and don't let up.

militia420

You ought to make money off of that or medicine while you're at it.

Japanese Knotweed contains Reservatrol. I found out about it back in June or July because I was bit by an f'ing lyme disease carrying tick, which left the bullseye on my leg.

That vine can be cut up and sold for teas or tinctures. It's very effective with lyme apparently. I've been taking it almost daily as a tincture.

You can also take it for yourself to improve your health.

I'd seriously consider selling everything that you harvest. Then you can pay for the 50lb bags of salt from costco to kill it off permanently.

dill786

yeah i heard about its medicinal qualities...

i am not sure we were thinking of foliar spraying it with roundup for the next 24 months to get rid off it..

gonna have to wait now till late may of 2016, its a bit late now to spray them !!!?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
sulfuric acid and 30 percent hydrogen peroxide or stronger if ya can get it....use the leftover mix in a barrel to help get rid of that old body in your freezer..wont be much left but bones...yeehaw

joe2

I have not used it on knot weed, I use it to keep the weeds down on my fence line, 20 percent works great. glyphosate is terrible

joe2

knot weed is super invasive out here southern app. The stupid fucking electric co sprays it with glyphosate every year along our streams and it comes back.

joe2

sorry for the dubble post cant edit

my wife put this together we are trying to change how our county handles line clearing.

Glyphosate

Human Effects

Causes Cancer
“Probable Human Carcinogen” WHO IARC Lancet Oncology Journal March 2015
“Glyphosate is definitely genotoxic” WHO cancer expert Professor Christopher Portier
“Glyphosate induces human breast cancer cell growth via estrogen receptors” Bangkok Thongprakaisang et al Food and Chemical Toxicology 2013; 59:129 cancer cell growth accelerated at pptrillion to ppbillion

Causes Birth Defects
“Glyphosate produces teratogenic effects on vertebrates by impairing retinoic acid signaling” Paganelli et al Buenos Aires Chemical Research in Toxicology 2010 23:15:86
Children born with ½ brain in the pampas in Argentina where lots of crops are grown and sprayed with glyphosate; scientist replicated the defects in frogs by injecting tiny amounts (picoliters) into frog embryos.
“Detection of Glyphosate in Malformed Piglets” Kruger et al Environmental and Analytical Toxicology 2014 4:5

Disrupts homeostasis
Antibiotic Patent# 7,771,736. 1ppm is effective
Kills lactobacillus and bacillus (beneficial gut bacteria) but strains of salmonella and clostridia are resistant
Disrupts body’s detoxification process “Glyphosate’s Supression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by Gut Microbes” Entropy 2013, 15, 1416-1463
Known endocrine disruptor at .5ppm Gasnier et al Toxicology 2009; 262: 184
“Glyphosate induces apoptosis in human cells” Banachour et al Chemical Research in Toxicology 2009; 22:97

Remains in the body after exposure
“Detection of Glyphosate Residues in Animals and Humans” Kruger et al Environmental and Analytical Toxicology 2014 4:2
Glyphosate accumulates in lungs, heart, kidneys, intestine, liver, spleen, muscles and bones

Environmental Effects

Honeybees
Pollinate 80% of our flowering crops, 1/3 of everything we eat, including apples, broccoli, strawberries, nuts, asparagus, blueberries, cucumbers. Beef and dairy industry are also reliant on bees because they pollinate alfalfa. USDA
Annually pollinate $14 billion worth of seeds and crops in the US. Cornell University

“Effects of field-realistic doses of glyphosate on honeybee appetitive behavior” Herbert, Vazquez, Arenas and Farina. The Journal of Experimental Biology 2014
Bees lose their ability to eat and have a much harder time learning how to forage properly, which leads to poor colony performance. Also, contaminated bees bring the chemical back to the hive and in turn contaminate the rest of the colony.

Amphibians

Kills or deforms juvenile amphibians
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, Vol. 23, No. 8, pp. 1928–1938, 2004 q 2004 SETAC Printed in the USA 0730-7268/04 $12.00 1 .00
TOXICITY OF GLYPHOSATE-BASED PESTICIDES TO FOUR NORTH AMERICAN FROG SPECIES
CHRISTINA M. HOWE,† MICHAEL BERRILL,† BRUCE D. PAULI,*‡ CAREN C. HELBING,§ KATE WERRY,§ and NIK VELDHOEN§

“Glyphosate and other pesticides in vernal pools and streams in parks” Park Science Integrating Research and Resource Management in the National Parks Vol26 Number 2 Fall2009
Glyphosate has been found to have leached from the spray areas into nearby water habitats

Recent studies, however, suggest that glyphosate is more mobile and occurs more widely in the environment than was previously thought (Battaglin et al. 2005; Baker et al. 2006; Kolpin et al. 2006; Scribner et al. 2007; Battaglin et al. 2008).

May lead to habitat avoidance in sprayed areas “Behavioral responses of the Strawberry Poison Frog to herbicide olfactory cues: possible implications for habitat selection and movement in altered landscapes” Farabaugh, Nowakowski Canadian Journal of Zoology September 2014

joe2

yea it is, its being used to "ripen" food crops in the USA now. So your veggies are being sprayed days before harvest for a consistint harvest time. Now if you eat lots of those "treated" foods you can lose all your gut bacteria and then you will be in need of a Fecal Transplant. No joke that shit blew my mind.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Regalia Biofungicide is derived from knotweed as well. Shit costs about $100 a gallon.

Siever

Veteran
If you mow it regularly the jkw will die eventually too.
Just got to be patient. You can dig out the roots. Ok this a lot of work, but it speeds up the proces.
I did some bamboo that way (without digging up the roots, but I used that technique on perennials)

dill786

yea it is, its being used to "ripen" food crops in the USA now. So your veggies are being sprayed days before harvest for a consistint harvest time. Now if you eat lots of those "treated" foods you can lose all your gut bacteria and then you will be in need of a Fecal Transplant. No joke that shit blew my mind.

that is horrible bro...

Latest posts

Latest posts