What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who has Acapulco Gold?

idiit

Veteran
fritzman!

just got my beans:

Aracaju red: sergipe
congo: lmn
zamal: Christophe's stock that sourced gerrit's cut https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=232614&highlight=christophe&page=12

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=101916

Acapulco Gold: preservation dude

On 13/03/2015 at 9:14 AM, Hey luiz!

This is idiit. 

I got some beans from you a few times. Couple large orders.

I understand from some friends that you have some more landrace beans.

Whatcha gots? 
My Acapulco Gold came to me from teh hands of Kermal Kosmic a.k.a. Preservation Dude (Gary) who passed away in 2006 and may his soul rest in piece. I miss him a lot and the talk we had, he also sent me purple haze original one from the 70´s and other lines like Thai stick and his creation made out of with crossing with Super Skunk he named this cross as Redman Skunk
list of fritzman's latest available seed stock:

ZAMAL
Celestial Temple Sativa
Congolense
Morrocos
Thai (highland)
Vietnam Black
Colombian Black
Punta Roja
ACapulco gold
Oaxaca Gold
Equito landrace
Cabeça de Nego (a.k.a. Bahia Black Head)
Manga Rosa
Firefox Tail
Ouro Verde
Verde Limon
^ emails between me and fritz.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=275226&page=2

^ more stuff on who preservation dude was. very well respected imo from the posts and his friends including kaiki ( cbg seeds) and dubi (ace seeds).

Lesnah

Iddit seems to be one of the most connected members here...

Idiit have you tried Brazilian Green and Colombian gold from Fritzman?

DoDad

I guess barney's farm would be my go to, if I couldn't find another source. I just want to make sure I get the right genetics.

I want to try a short sativa and this one only grows to 40 in. I don't have room to grow taller.

vostok

Veteran
2 I know that still do Acapulco Gold

1: Cultivators Choice

2: Barneys Farm (best choice)
the sales blurb:
Thanks to recent advances in marijuana genetics we’ve pioneered, the quality of our Acapulco Gold goes beyond the often rhapsodized smoke of days past. Just as importantly for us, however, was capturing its spirit. Like the original namesake, these gorgeous, firm colas are flecked with gold and reddish brown, with very visible THC crystals. The intense fruit cocktail of flavors pack a strong sensation that really lingers. Acapulco Gold is sativa dominant, offering a long lasting high that balances upbeat effects with body-relaxing, stress reducing calmness.THC: 23%

Last edited by a moderator:

DoDad

2 I know that still do Acapulco Gold

1: Cultivators Choice

2: Barneys Farm (best choice)
the sales blurb:
Thanks to recent advances in marijuana genetics we’ve pioneered, the quality of our Acapulco Gold goes beyond the often rhapsodized smoke of days past. Just as importantly for us, however, was capturing its spirit. Like the original namesake, these gorgeous, firm colas are flecked with gold and reddish brown, with very visible THC crystals. The intense fruit cocktail of flavors pack a strong sensation that really lingers. Acapulco Gold is sativa dominant, offering a long lasting high that balances upbeat effects with body-relaxing, stress reducing calmness.THC: 23%

Hi Vostok,

I'm looking for a short wake and bake strain that has low odor. How is the SS#1 for a wake and bake strain?

Last edited by a moderator:

idiit

Veteran
fritzman used to run site called Brazilian seed company. he got lots of help; lmn, preservation dude, sergipe, zamalito to name a few. he closed his shop but still sends out some beans personally. he still uses his old email addy. there are a lot of posts on several different forums re bsc.

I never ran Brazilian green but those that did seemed to like it. I did run his Colombian gold but it performed sub par in my inadequately prepared site. I grow outdoors in an area that is very difficult to grow in and I've been working hard at my amendment skills. bsc's Colombian gold is highly rated from posts I've read.

I've been very happy with a few bsc strains. I believe for the most part they are real deal sourced landraces. I know nothing about this Acapulco Gold sourced from preservation dude(now deceased).

as far as being well connected; the connections are right here at ic mag. we are the landrace site. I have learned a lot from fellow ic mongers. :) I've tried to reciprocate. I like to carry my end of the load. I also want ppl too know that landraces are still available. some have random pollen pollution. some are worked strains and some are unworked wild specimen field collected. most of us landrace types don't go the dispensary and buy a "cut" to run. running seed stock involves the grower using discernment in his selections and doing in line breeding work on his own.

DoDad

Snow High Seeds use Acapulco Gold in a lot of their work.

I guess the issue now is who has the purest strain?

Not that I could tell the difference, but the low odor, low growing mostly sativa characteristics are the reasons I'm considering it.

I have plenty of couch lock/pain relief/ eye droop medicine. I need something uplifting for going the the gym, riding bikes and hiking miles at a time.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
That one may have relation to the Acapulco Gold sold in the past by Dr. Greenthumb. Zamalito should know and it's worth the research, they were 10 weekers that looked a bit tamed, I personally found to be too fast for a southern Mexican, after all Acapulco strain was just a name given to the weed that was grown and exported around Guerrero and southern Sierra Madre. AG from Snowcap looks very nice actually. This are pics from the original preservation done by Rahan@Collective Vibes:

Mexican Acapulco

This Mexican was gifted by zamalito as a F2 from Dc Greenthumbs Acapulco gold. It is a short flowering sativa (8-10 weeks) with two phenos, one branchier and the other more columnar. She is nice to smoke, up high, energetic. Nice lemon smell but low calyx to leaf ratio. An easy strain, usable for outdoor too. Great for one bud too. Not sure it is the true Acapulco gold but that's a nice strain anyway.

Here are some pics under fluoros:

51574Mexican1.jpg

51574Mexican2.jpg

51574Mexican4.jpg

51574Mexican7.jpg

Yeah indeed Luiz was definietly an opportunist with seeds and his bussiness, probably he was hanging out with the wrong guys (Queijo aka HotHouseFlowers aka Breeder's Choice), he was also selling some Celestial Temple Sativa F2 seeds he got from Rahan as a gift right away... :/

Anyway, I remember how in the past many people used to reject BSC seeds because of the bad results, poor breeding/preservation work and hybrid looking genetics in some cases (Manga Rosa, Colombian Gold, etc), now it seems it's becoming a legend like most seedbanks that used to offer different gear. Good source to find some rare seeds anyway but most came as gifts via other friends, he wasn't a strain hunter nor a breeder after all (no dissin' though).

Vibes.

Last edited:

Lesnah

@ Idiit, yea I remember Fritz/zamalito....I was going to place a few orders right when his site went offline and as usual....I kicked myself for hesitating and not finding out about him before.

@ Musta....are HHF's seeds legit heirlooms/landraces? I remember HHF had a direct svendor site not too long ago.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
@ Musta....are HHF's seeds legit heirlooms/landraces? I remember HHF had a direct svendor site not too long ago

Some could be, they used to have the same Highland Thai and Lao offered in the past by Sativafiend/Real Seed Co, Malawi F2 from Afropips or African seeds and so on.

On the other hand its well known they've been ripping many people off and stealing genetics from others too (Oldtimer Haze for example), so I don't know what to say. Be cautious I guess.

mexicani-ar

fritzman used to run site called Brazilian seed company. he got lots of help; lmn, preservation dude, sergipe, zamalito to name a few. he closed his shop but still sends out some beans personally. he still uses his old email addy. there are a lot of posts on several different forums re bsc.

I never ran Brazilian green but those that did seemed to like it. I did run his Colombian gold but it performed sub par in my inadequately prepared site. I grow outdoors in an area that is very difficult to grow in and I've been working hard at my amendment skills. bsc's Colombian gold is highly rated from posts I've read.

I've been very happy with a few bsc strains. I believe for the most part they are real deal sourced landraces. I know nothing about this Acapulco Gold sourced from preservation dude(now deceased).

as far as being well connected; the connections are right here at ic mag. we are the landrace site. I have learned a lot from fellow ic mongers. :) I've tried to reciprocate. I like to carry my end of the load. I also want ppl too know that landraces are still available. some have random pollen pollution. some are worked strains and some are unworked wild specimen field collected. most of us landrace types don't go the dispensary and buy a "cut" to run. running seed stock involves the grower using discernment in his selections and doing in line breeding work on his own.

Very good point you've made Idiit, I'm a newbie but i will have to establish myself here and make friends and connections

idiit

Veteran
fritz knows bwetter than to ask for payment via ria nor western union. he's hot. I know. I got the calls from wu and ria. I chewed out fritz for endangering our safety. I just got a pm form an ic monger that fritz is still wanting payment via ria.

BAD. REAL BAD.

i'm sorry I posted on these beans now.

idiit

Lesnah

Some could be, they used to have the same Highland Thai and Lao offered in the past by Sativafiend/Real Seed Co, Malawi F2 from Afropips or African seeds and so on.

On the other hand its well known they've been ripping many people off and stealing genetics from others too (Oldtimer Haze for example), so I don't know what to say. Be cautious I guess.

K, thanks for the heads up...maybe there is a legitimate reason why I kept hesitating to pull the trigger. I tend to trust my "gut feeling" when placing orders.

satva

Veteran
A picture of Snowhigh's Acapulco Gold, (or Acapulco Gold cross) note the light green / gold color of the leaves. I've always like marijuana with the light green, yellow and gold coloration in late flowering.

In 1971 in southern USA I had a older friend who had a good connection for Acapulco Gold. He was wild and crazy and more so high on Acapulco Gold, it was magical, psychedelic, laughing uncontrollably, feel good and had some stone to it. One night we got stoned and drove the car "off road" all around and thru campus, we would often keep driving and end up on the Florida coast or at a concert in Atlanta a day later.

My memory of Acapulco Gold high resulted in some magical adventures. Take in mind we were young, stoned, and filled with the late 1960's spirit, Oh wow man I'm really stoned. The closest high I remember to 1971 Acapulco Gold was 1971 Panama Red magical, stoney and psycedelic. The magic and creativity is lacking in today's strains like ~ Mango Haze, even in long flowering 16 - 17 week phenotypes.

As Bluebeard's post in 2008 notes Acapulco Gold high is different than Guerrero Green. That said - Chimera's 1973 Highland Guerrero x Blueberry sativa is spot on for the effect you note, energetic and motivating for going to the gym, long bicycle rides, on long hikes and any and all outdoor activities. Chimera's Highland Mexican is psychedelic like early 1970's Highland Mexican. If you smoke a joint, you'll have to wait a bit while all the things necessary to ride a bike come together. After a joint, even walking is sometimes strange at first, as if you're walking using someone else's legs. Eventually energy start to flow nicely flow and your senses and outdoor activities are fun and enjoyable.

The beauty of connoisseur Mexican is heighten sensory awareness which in the body might be one of your legs or hips is stiffer or longer than the other and you become aware how it effects your walking. Same with yoga you naturally know what your body needs to relieve stress and rejuvenate itself. Hard to explain, but very profound if you're into that sort of thing.

Generalizing, Highland Oaxacan Gold high was clean and exquisite, less wild and crazy than Acapulco Gold. and might be closer to a high that motivates you to exercise and enjoy life to its fullest. Some long flowering phenotypes of Mango Haze motivate me to the gym, or to take long hikes or bicycle rides. Denver sells Acapulco Gold in the marijuan stores, however.....

For me Chimera's Highland Mexican and Mango Haze both have a high that make you want to exercise, garden, hike or..... There is some indica genetics in each, but both have a wonderful energy flow. Chimera's Highland Mexican has the "old school magic" things just start to happen, and it often involves exercise, or yoga, but the energy flow of Highland Mexican is excellent for creative activities like fine art painting, music and so on. I think you are on the right track with connoisseur Mexican genetics. Bluebeard's post from 2008 follows. Cheers

Well, I would look in acapulco, lol, sorry, but you must admit you set yourself up for that one... One thing you should take into consideration is that Acapulco Gold has been a trade name being used in the united states since at least the 1930's, and so it is fairly safe to assume the Acapulco Gold of Milton Mezzrow was probably quite different to the last of the large Acapulco Gold shipments in the first year or two after 1980. From SE Asia, to Africa to Mexico, to the US, it is important to remember that very few if any commercial seeded marijuana crops are free from hybridization.

Although I am sure opinions vary, what I consider to be Acapulco Gold is substantially different from the more true Guerreran landraces from the surrounding mountains and coastal areas, which have a tendency to be some of the most wild in in terms of growth habit of the entire country. While still being quite far from having the density and structure of a modern hybrid, it should still have a calyx to leaf ratio significantly higher than the extremely leafy oaxacans. Another trait differentiating what I define as Acapulco gold is that Oaxacans have a way of keeping their general size and shape upon drying they have a way of hollowing out and becoming extremely airy, but not strandy like a southeast asian. It will look like a fairly normal bud, but if you break it up to roll a joint, it seems to do a vanishing act. Acapulco on the other hand looks more of a sativa floral structure at a glance, but doesnt have this shrinkage or hollowing out. The structures of both are difficult to put into words. In terms of general plant structure, acapulco golds lack the strong stem structure and symmetry that higher altitude Oaxacans have. You will often see the branches pointing downwards as the flowers put on weight.

Now, the difference between the long acclimated gold heirloom and landraces of caribbean coastal mountains of Colombia and Acapulco are very easy to define. However, because of commercial cultivators importing genes the origin of some seeds or a cutting much more difficult to define. An 'authentic' ( hate using the term as much as anyone but will use for lack of a better term) Colombian gold should not take any less than 20 weeks of 12/12 from seeds, or 16 weeks at the very least from cuttings selected off of the early plants from a population. When grown outdoors between 32-35 degrees from the equator, they should finish somewhere between late january and April of the year following when they were started. Also, days shorter than 12 hours don't appear to hasten maturation, and can actually delay flowering due to less light being available to the plants. Acapulcos and other Mexicans on the other hand rarely run longer than 16 weeks, typically closer to 14 indoors for the southern varieties such as guerrerans and oaxacans, and will typically harvest sometime in november between 32 and 35 N.

Last edited: