What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

African Safari

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Thanks to Globalization (never thought I'd say that) we no longer have to rely on seedbanks to get us the genetics we really want, nor do we have to put up with seedbank breeders hybridizing these precious genetics into a quick-flowering genetic soup.

I am going to have to work on getting the funds together for a Safari but if you were to go (or have gone in the past) where would you recommend to go?

I would assume Malawi is going to be a common response but I wonder about the Panama Red effect (commercial strains being used to supply the demand for MG and subsequently ruining the living genetic stock in the area) and if possibly the lesser-known area would be better for "Finding the Gold."

I know Burkina Faso is a Huge hub for exporting cannabis in Africa, yet Burkino Faso is another strain I'd like to acquire, yet the Panama Red Effect has me weary of that area as well.

La Reunion Island would be phenomenal as I want ALL the Zamals (and surrounding landraces) but I worry I wouldn't have access to strains from Angola, Malawi, Ghana, etc.

Hmmm, Now that I think about it, I'm realizing Africa is too big a Continent to do a Safari in just one trip....
But if you were going to do just one trip, where would you go?

Donn

Don't forget Mozambique! Black Maconde, Kotakota, Shuruma are the names I get from a little web surfing, have no knowledge beyond that.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Thank you Donn.

I am aware of some of the many genotypes of non-Northern Africa - and I want most of them.
Heh heh, I'd have to go diggin around for the list of strains/genetic regions that Im looking for.

kokomarin

if you searching killer weed genetic,you need to look ecvatorial country,
nigeria,congo....
ghana is frienly(was, when I been there)but cannot be powerfull like ecvatorial weed.
but,this is from my experiance traveling west african coast 1988-1991.
I want go to Uganda,Campala....friendly..near ecuvator....

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Thank you.

And actually, of all the non-Norther African strains Nigerian is the only one I don't want. Lowest THCV of African strains.
I also smoked Nigerian Nightmare here in WA. No other strain actually CAUSED pain in my back. The pothead-scinetist in me winders if there's something in Nigerian that antagonizes THCV, causing more pain fior me

kokomarin

hey,man,nigeria have 25 states,first killer I try in Lagos,unbeliveble hallucogenic,
I was young,my normal every day weed on that ship was from french grower who lived
in Gana,Takoradi(near),once, american grower in new orleans try my joint and after six hours need help to walk away from ship.
lagos is extra big city,more of 10 million citizens,dangereus,plenty crime.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
For a nice cross section of African weed genetics, Ghana would be a good West African country to visit. Nigeria should be avoided entirely, as kidnapping is a growth industry there, with anyone that speaks with a non-native accent regarded by the gangs and their informants as a particularly profitable target. Can't say much about Liberia and Sierra Leone, except that they are at peace now and may offer some promise for a strain hunter.

As is the case when in Mexico, you will need to be ready to "oil the wheels of progress" with the odd cash "tip" to keep people happy pretty much wherever you roam in Africa, but the handing over of cash to cops must be done in a discreet manner, most efficiently with a "handshake" to transfer the currency.

Last edited:

vostok

Veteran
[iframe1]89RH475eZYc[/iframe1]
Some GHS strainhunters to inspire you
this one from Malawi

[iframe1]ujpCWMiQDWM[/iframe1]
or Swaziland, Gougle for more

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I love my Canna Family. Thank you so much. Much Love.

Genghis Kush, yea I have a fucked up back so traveling will have to be limited. Thank you SO much for detailing the different options for both traveling and staying put.

Now here's in important question,
is it wise to try and start correspondence with Locals in Africa,before going there? My hesitation being that the Feds could be dicks and throw that Conspiracy word around.

jarmon

Genghis kush is on the money. Coffee bay is fucking awesome. Also the mountain kingdom of Lesotho is not far away from there.

Depending on how much money you have you can hire a car if the baz bus option doesn't suit you or get you where you need to go.

Mozambique and swaziland have some good weed and are not that far from SA also. Getting to Maputo from Joburg is easy but some of the more far flung places are a mission to get to.

Malawi and Zambia are worth a visit also although I found travel in Malawi to be a struggle due to fuel shortages. I think that's improved since I was there.

Tanzania and Kenya I didn't find any strong weed although I'm sure its there. They are both awesome places to visit in their own right. Not been to west africa but my friends that have loved Ghana and said the weed is unique. If you do have health issues you may want to look into hiring a reputable driver as some of the public transport options are dire to say the least (I'm talking crammed into the back of a truck like cattle and staying on the road for 12 hours plus kind of thing)

With regard to contacting locals maybe try the new seed bank thats opened in Joburg.

Latest posts

Latest posts