What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Some people say the amber trich issue is a myth? What am I to believe?

G

I've read conflicting opinions. Some people say waiting for amber trichs is a waste because even if you do, there are barely any that turn amber and you risk just letting the plant go and eventually you degrade the THC

Others say if you wait longer the amber trichs will come and everything will be dandy and you'll get a couchlock high

What do you think? Is waiting for amber trichs worth it? Or is it a waste?

I really am not sure when to harvest I see probably 80% red hairs but I don't see amber trichs as of yet and I'm not sure if you let them go til 100% red hairs or what. Preferably I'd like a couchlock high but I'm not sure if I should bother waiting for amber trichs to come. Trichs look cloudy right now

Can anyone offer some experienced insight? Is the quantity of amber trichs dependant on genetics, maybe? or do you see many amber trichs turn on all genetics?

Last edited:

medicaluser420

I like to wait till they are at 20amber/80 milky or prefably 50/50. You can not see the trichomes with your bare eyes. All you will see is a fuzzy leaf. All I do is occasionally rip off a flower petal from different spots on the plant then I look at them through a radioshack microscope on both side and make sure you dont squeeze the samples. then just look at them most of the trichs will be milky with a few amber ones here and there. So just wait or cut depending on what you see and your preference. Good Luck

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Hairs have nothing to do with trichs.

Trichs are not a myth.

Take a real good look at that chart medical posted, and follow his advice.

G

I know this.

What I am saying is this:

I have been told that waiting for trichs to turn amber is useless since in the majority, plants barely even make amber trichomes, and waiting for them to turn amber does nothing but actually degrade thc.

On the other hand, people tell me they turn amber like clockwork.

I don't know who to believe

I do know that they turn amber somtimes (what % on a plant is possible, I have no idea - some say many, others say 1% of trichs will do this) and I do know how to view them under a radioshack 'scope.

I'm just looking for experienced people to tell me whether or not waiting for trichs to turn amber is even worth it or if I'm just wasting time.

So far, 1 experienced person has told me that waiting for anything more than 1-5% of trichomes turn amber is useless. Just trying to get the insight of others?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
G

dude you need to stop talking to retards........who are these people?

like others said the hairs dont come into play

medi420 thats a nice pic you got.

G

Ok
I know about the trichomes changing color. I know it is possible for them to turn amber. I've seen the pic medi. posted a million times

What I am saying is this: I have heard from some people that some genetics don't produce many amber trichs no matter how long you let them go. Other genetics, I hear from the same people, make them abundtantly if you let em go.

Then there are others who look at it without the factor of genetics being involved and just assume all plants turn amber in relativly the same time to quantity ratio (time you allow the plants go on, vs quantity or proportion of amber trichs as opposed to cloudy)

Because of these ideas, it seems like if you have genetics that don't produce many amber trichs (say, no more than 1% even if you let it go), then there's no way to know when to chop it because you just let it sit there and nothing happens after 1% and thc degrades. On another genetic strain, it may go up to 20% in the same amount of time.

Is this true, that the time/quantity factors are tied in to genetics?
Do you ever take this into consideration, or have you ever compared/witnessed these correlations?

this is what my first post of the thread shoulda been, sorry. i totally messed up and wasn't clear enough

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Veteran
Generally the folks claiming a strain never gets amber have just gotten a freak pheno that takes forEVER to mature. I'm not saying there aren't strains out there that won't ever go amber, but for 99%, I think this is the case.

A few comments:

1-The solution is simple just harvest this first run in stages. This way you can leave enough bud on the plant for a few extra weeks to see if she ambers.

2-How many weeks are you? More often than not people think flowering is alot shorter than it really is IME. Most plants I grow get 60-70 days and not the 42-50 that I see posted often.

G

it's been going since nov. 20th but they were just breaking ground on nov 20th and were put into 12/12 after week 1. so that kinda throws things off. the thing is turning purple by itself so it seems like it is about time. 80% of hairs are red but from what i can see most trichs are only cloudy, no amber yet.

im going to let it go longer till i see amber trichs but when it gets to 100% red hairs i may have to cut it..unless, of course, it's normal for them to go 100% red hair and still grow/change significantly?

it's indica bagseed btw.

Last edited:

acar

sell no wine before its time.

sell no wine before its time.

sweetgreendream said:
Most plants I grow get 60-70 days and not the 42-50 that I see posted often.

How right you are. a lot of growers like it when they read that the seed they bought is an 8week flower--and harvest it on day 56 and think they have the best of the best of the best....

Any old dog will remember Paul Masson's tag-line.

NiteTiger

Veteran
I've had some bagseed that went totally red haired before the trichs were even cloudy. Come harvest time, they looked exactly like dried saffron :D

G

Turkish said:
flowerd after 1 week from seed....wtf.
Yep. It's definitly possible. It seems to work better with sativas rather than indicas, though. There was a whole thread at OG dedicated to 12/12 from seed and it has been proven to work. I'm sick of 'experimenting' though and will be doing it normally the next few times but it seemed to work out ok, no hermies or anything

G

Oh no doubt it works but yield and potency would go down CONSIDERABLY I am possitive of that.

medicaluser420

In my experience all plants will turn the trichs amber. But you said you talked to someone that said they never changed and it is probably true but did he know what he was growing? Did he have experience growing? Were his girl in the right envirement?Was it a random bagseed ? Indica? Sativa? If he thought he was growing an Indica and it was actually a sativa he was never going to see trichs turn amber in the expected timeframe. That is why bagseeds are bad you dont know what to expect and all though it's nice to believe people sometimes it not always true they are just trying to hustle you or at least when I was younger people would try to hustle me bringin me random seeds in a plastic bag saying it was blah blah blah trying to get me to buy them for outrageous prices when all they were probably just some bagseeds. On the other had a good friend of mine smokes quite a bit is always buying and when he runs into a great batch with seeds he saves them as well as a little nug then he gives me the beans and smokes the nug. Anyway there are thousands if not millions of factors that can affect how quickly or slowly the trichs on your girl start to turn amber.(lights,nutes,ph,air,ect..) All I can say is practice makes perfect and all though I am far from that I keep trying to improve every time as I feel you can never learn everthing about cannabis without more info kinda of how you can never have the newest computer cause they make new ones every second. You should start some more beans while you finish this one up that way you will have something to fill your space after you harvest. I did not have a good harvest till after a couple of years of practice. Before I knew OG and sites like these existed. Best of Luck

Last edited:
I've read posts from experienced growers that say they prefer to harvest when they have 50 clear 50 cloudy, some even go 80 clear 20 cloudy. I know what the OP is talking about. There was some debate on it over at OG. This time around, I have clones going and I'm going to experiment with different flowering lengths, I think its the only true way to find out.