What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Light feeder" - how the ?

de145

I was reading a forum posting about a new strain being developed and the person test growing said that some of the plants were "light feeders".

I've seen that term before but now I'm confused: how can you tell that some of the plants grown from seeds of a completely new strain you've never grown before are light feeders and the rest aren't?

sso

Veteran
ever seen nuteburn on plants? (the tips of the leaves)

see that, you back off on the nutes a tad.

Homebrewer

Veteran
I actually do not think there is such a thing as a 'heavy feeder', it's just that indica and indica-dominant strains can handle the excessive salts a lot better than sativa and sativa-dominant hybrids. So when someone says '...she's a light feeder', that really just means that the plant can't handle the grower's standard dose of fertilizer which is too high to begin with.

F

Funion

The plant, indica or sativa dominant does adapt to its environment. If you start out on the heavy side of things with feedings and don't injure the plant then it very well may build up a tolerance. If you start out with light amounts of feedings the plant responds how it will. But if you are to change the amount of nutrients you are feeding, either light or heavy you may find the plant has a hard time making the change.
But as sso pointed out in their response it is a matter of familiarizing yourself with how the plant responds.

Smoke weed everyday,
Funion

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
You're asking the wrong people. You want to ask the plants. Never use EC to match a chart, formula, friends suggestion etc. None of these have any idea of what's happening in your grow. Your plants know exactly whats happening and will tell you the truth every time. If EC climbs, you're too rich. If EC drops you're too lean.

Duplicate

I've seen that term before but now I'm confused: how can you tell that some of the plants grown from seeds of a completely new strain you've never grown before are light feeders and the rest aren't?
I would imagine the grower saw some plants starting to burn while others where just fine while both being on the same regimen.

Latest posts

Latest posts