What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"NYC Piff"

bigherb

Veteran
I'll have to ask if it's okay to name the names who told me the Hawaii/BOEL tales, they are offline people and might not want to be named.

I have the full Senate Papers on the BOEL hearings somewhere, I shall have to dig it out and have a look for more info.

I've got a fair bit of experience of growing and smoking highland Mexis and lumbos and while there are similarities to the tastes, I find the Mexis are more cedar, beech, woodsy, pine, the best ones were like pine needles with a bit of gasoline dripped on them. Some others were minty and menthol, but I am pretty sure they weren't highland types.

Highland Colombians are also kinda woodsy, but have a more spicy, sandalwood, incense type smell/taste.

Hard to explain in words the differences and similarities, but to me, there is a distinct difference between highland Mexis and Highland Lumbos, sure they are similarities too.

I've never found anything remotely sweet or fruity from those Mexis and Lumbos I speak about, so to me, the parts of the Haze palette other than the ones I just described in Mexi and Lumbo types must be from the South Indian and Thai.

Reef's description, well sandalwood is from Colombian, catpiss is probably from Thai, lowland Thais were often very lemony/catpiss.

i understand as their is info i too would like too share but would need permission and a smile ,hopfully you can share somthin more from those papers

soo you were one of the lucky ones to experience the legends

thanks for sharing your experiences

im very very intrigued by colombians especially wackyweed and those perennials,you should check COLOMBIAN LANDRACES WANTED thread and give som of your thoughts id lov to hear them

i can only speak from research but lookin at dj shorts strains of yesteryear the reported strains all seem to be highland

and their is not much info at all reguarding colombians atleast from my research soo i reference dj's article a bit

you seem spot on with description of taste and aromas but again their is many simlarieties ,although i understand what you mean

again
dj short strains of yesteryear quote
HIGHLAND OAXACAN
Highland Gold, somewhat similar to the Colombian Gold,
It was some of my all-time favorite because the aroma and flavor were of a super-spicy cedar incense with a slight fermented berry taste

Guerrero

This strain from Mexico's coastal mountains
It had a spicy, almost wintergreen fragrance compared to the other Mexicans Michoacan Brown Spears

From the high valleys of Michoacan
, this strain was very similar in shape and texture to the Guerrero, but dark brown, and with a more peppery, spicy, woody aroma

from your description our nyc haze could be a pure colombian highland LOL

well ive seen quite a few other traits reported from lumbo's like mango and floral not from the above mentioned strains tho ,but it seems the later strains added thai ,s.indian to haze were responsible for the sweet side of things but again there is not much info on keralan ganja which id lov to kno more about , ed rosenthal noted to be spicy and incense type in his BBB

Reef's description, well sandalwood is from Colombian, catpiss is probably from Thai, lowland Thais were often very lemony/catpiss

interesting
this might be a first i dont recall seeing catpiss described as a thai trait ,but if you check my frankincense trait in haze thread ive quoted post that report cambodian red /purple haze/laos as having the frankincense trait

whats your take on reef's description have you had such a experience in your haze?

1luvbigherb

bigherb

Veteran
G13Haze is a good place to look. The G13 was your typical accrid lemony Afghan, but it didn't have a big, strong smell/taste. The Haze used to make that cross was the Haze A male which was the Colombian dom one, so it makes sense that the Haze smell/taste would dominate over the G13 and with the right pheno, you could probably find something with a lot of Colombian influence I expect.

are you sure i always thought g13haze to contain the hazeC male im pretty sure of this

IME it was spicy and most reminescent of nyc haze aside from HPH from anythin in my 4 trips to adam

also reef'sg13haze is reported to be very incense like and reminescent of nyc haze .but reef's g13haze is his own cross of airborn g13 X nevillehaze male

whodair

interested to know which g13haze you report?

1luvbigherb

indifferent

Veteran
Well, I know Neville used the A male to make the NL5 x Haze cross. I think it was also the A male used in the G13 cross but I don't have my notes to hand.

I'm not that familiar with Keralan ganja either, but this year will see a bunch of them grown outdoors in a good climate by a friend and I will be popping some of the RSC Keralan indoors too as it's supposed to be a very minty smell/taste and I have a minty Mexican cutting I need a male for, I love the minty taste so the aim is to make a minty sativa line.

I have one Colombian Gold line that I have worked with for a few years, it's excellent and the tastes I describe are mostly based on my experiences with it. I have a couple of other Colombian Gold lines from other sources, will be growing those out soon I hope. I do have a bunch of lowland Colombian Red seeds I need to try to germ soon, and I have some Punto Rojo too somewhere.

I'm currently growing out some Oaxacans from various sources, if I find the right plants I will make a bunch of seed and save cuttings so I can make an Oaxacan x Colombian hybrid later this year. I already crossed a male from my Colombian Gold line to a pure Thai, a highland lemony one, still not grown those seeds. Maybe I should, find the best male and dust it on the Oaxacan. I did cross a Purple Thai to the Oaxacan last year but the Purple Thai is not pure, it's a Thai x Afghan hybrid that leans heavily to the Thai side and has mostly purple plants.

I'm not that familiar with Haze, grown a few packs over the years, but what I am familiar with is various Thais, Mexicans and Colombians, sativas being my passion, so I'm pretty familiar with the various palettes found in these types. I think for every commercial seed I've grown, I must have grown 15 or 20 heirloom/landrace seeds, so little from the modern commercial genepool appeals to me, sad to say.

jd4083

Veteran
I have a seeded G-13xHaze from Barney's, it certainly leans towards the haze side of the spectrum, vegged for less than a month and it's taller than I am and almost three times as wide. :tiphat:

xOOx

another pif thread!

imho (take it for what its worth) the piff has small calyx, not big like that. look at the black pics..lots of small ones.

if that's what i think it is in the first post pic, it's the hindu kush that's saturating the tri-state from florida as of late. it reeks, room filler stank. stays on your breath and you breathe it out your nostrils for a while. if you smoke it, anyone around you can smell it on your breath for a good half hr. good buzz, but i don't like it too much. does the ash burn white or tar black? i'm guess tar black? i don't like the HK too much, my throat burns after a few days, sleepy come down ...very skunky..fun in the beginning ..for a while.. in the head, but the ending blows..only one day of next day of feeling good, then you feel like crap till you smoke it again.. you experienced guys that think is the piff?

xoox

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
if that's what i think it is in the first post pic, it's the hindu kush that's saturating the tri-state from florida as of late. don't like the HK too much, my throat burns after a few days, sleepy come down ...very skunky..fun in the beginning ..for a while.. in the head, but the ending blows..only one day of next day of feeling good, then you feel like crap till you smoke it again.

What Hindu Kush could that be? I have worked with Sensi Hindu Kush for many moons and those pics posted in the first post don't look like any Hindu Kush that I have ever grown, seen and or bred with.

What Hindu Kush do you know that looks like that? What breeder? What year was it brought here?

Thanks.

xOOx

hey rl,

just going by what i was told. take it with a grain of salt. my guess is it's not that exact sensi strain you mentioned, but one from the kush mountain region? and in some of the previous posts/threads, i ditto what others said..same as dealer fluff/buzz words. people just make up names, for all i know HK was just picked from random at the time, but it sure does look like the same stuff i had recently...its all over the place. was told its HK.. but probably not. the good piff to me turns gray/white ash and taps out without clogging hitters or pipes. completely taps out in one tap. that's how i know its good stuff. the tarry strains always annoy the crap out of me, and they usually leave me with a unhealthy feeling after multiple sessions.

xoox

jd4083

Veteran
I must be confused, because I was under the impression that "piff" was a term just like "dank" or "chronic," simply a slang word for good quality pot. Are you guys actually saying that there is a strain or family of strains called "Piff"?

bigherb

Veteran
XooX

as too the blacks or any pics in here being hindu kush i truly doubt that,ime ive neva seen any kush look like haze but imo i dont see any connection as too taste/aromas except pissy

as grandpa would say bullashita

as for the ash somone correct me if im wrong ,but doesnt that have too do with the amount of ferts left in the plant from the flush if you flushed properly the ash should be white .

IMO much of the haze is not flushed correct ,dried correct or even cured.my thoughts as too the burning in the throat is its harsh ferts havnt been flushed .but also i believe pure sativas are known to burn hot, somtimes the end of the blunt we pull from gets quite hot and will burn ur lip depending on the batch . i dont like this

intel2000

brotha i dont think ur gonna get much more than that

as far as i kno there is no area like the heights where you can walk 40 diff blocks and see various samples of goods ,its held close as money stated and i believe only if your in the know /loop/or hav som connection will you get haze in florida atleast the blacks.

i have som friends in FL and not much mention of haze comes from our convos ,g13 is a fav , shiskaberry ,blue dream ,pineapple express seem to be som strains in current circulation

1luvbigherb

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
xoox, Thanks for responding. Yeah those pics posted aren't any Hindu Kush that I know, so maybe people around your area just got some bagseed and named it Hindu Kush to make money off of the Kush title.

jd4083, yes there is a line in itself called Piff (Uptown Haze). Just like there is a strain called Chronic, or a true line called Skunk. Although people just end up lumping any good quality weed under these names.

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
as for the ash somone correct me if im wrong ,but doesnt that have too do with the amount of ferts left in the plant from the flush if you flushed properly the ash should be white .

1luvbigherb

I was going to touch on this subject, but no need to, you got it correct my friend.

bigherb

Veteran
I must be confused, because I was under the impression that "piff" was a term just like "dank" or "chronic," simply a slang word for good quality pot. Are you guys actually saying that there is a strain or family of strains called "Piff"?

NOPE NO ONE IS SAYIN THAT IF THEY DO THEY ARE LYING AND GIVING FALSE INFO

now the blacks seems to be a selected pheno which is one particular haze that is referenced here wit pics by money mike

indifferent

Veteran
Yes, all ash should be white, if it isn't then it's badly grown and not flushed right.

Most of the writings in the last few posts about harsh throat effects, hot smokes, ill feelings etc, it's badly grown, overfed, underflushed weed that is the cause, nothing to do with genes.

Whoever brought up Hindu Kush, gawd's sake, there is nothing at all, in any way, similar between Hindu Kush and a Haze, period.

That Black Haze looks like a Colombian dom hybrid to me but that plant isn't well grown at all so hard to judge from that example.

xOOx

bigherb, yeah i know that. i didnt mean the any ref. to black at all, i ment to look at the black because that looks more like it, piff. the original pic i was referring too with the kush slango.

p.s. ive had properly flushed stuff that turned dark and tarry, an oily strain so im still up in the air on that one. i used to think it was the case, fertz/etc but still dunno why some do that and some don't

xoox